Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    If someone can sleep at 30*F in a bag on the fabric then God-bless 'em.
    Well, you gotta remember that for those of us who grew up and live in the cold of the North Woods, our blood may be a little thicker, or we must be used to it or something. Heck, I can remember summers growing up where it never got over 80*in my hometown, and winters where it was -1 or below for a week at a time, and months that never got over 20*. We used to stop snowmobiling when it got below -16, cause it started to feel a little cold. It's all relative. I'd melt into a puddle if it was 90* with humidity for longer than a couple of days, and you southerners and people away from the "big ponds" have that every summer. A hot day for me is anything over 80* with more than 60% humidity.

Before I got my BB, I routinely slept in my Clark NA down to the 30's with nothing but a sleeping bag. I just zip the weathershield closed a little more when the temp dropped. Not to say I'm adverse to using a UQ on the Clark - actually, I like a UQ better than just a bag, and that is on ANY hammock. And if I had my Clark, and the temp was going to be below 50*, I would want a UQ. I used to have a 1/8 inch aluminized pad that I would shove in the Clark if I got cold, but the durn thing was heavy, and not really needed (for me.) More of a "security blanket" than anything else. Shove a jacket and your clothes in the Clark's pockets, and it does help considerably. But a 30* bag WILL NOT get you to 30* in any hammock, including the Clark.

You have to see for yourself - every body handles cold (or heat) differently. You may need a 0* bag below 60*, or you may be like NEO and be able to get to 15* with nothing but a Walmart pad and a sleeping bag.
    Last edited by fin; 03-31-2009 at 22:42. Reason: grammar

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Oh I know. I move to Florida from PA and I remember my first winter there people thought I was insane. I was out in a tee-shirt and shorts in mid January and it was nearly 50 degrees!!!!! People thought I was made of ice or something. In PA I remembered building tunnels in the snow that we could walk from one yard to the other and never break the surface. They thought a 1/4" one year was the apocalypse.

It's all relative. I envy you if you can do it. Like I said, it would save me some weight if I could!

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well I cannot speak for the clark but I have gotten down to 30 with my 20 degree bag and a fleece liner inside of that... i might have the elusive cold blood (originally from northern Ohio)
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Thank You all for the usefull information

Can't wait to see how Raw's pocket underquilts test out, what a great idea! I wonder if the ever so talented MrPrez would be interested in making another set?

I'm starting on a new throw size quilt project, maybe I could replace the batting I bought with wool batting and try that out...hmmm probably would be too heavy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I move to Florida from PA and I remember my first winter there people thought I was insane. I was out in a tee-shirt and shorts in mid January and it was nearly 50 degrees!!!!! People thought I was made of ice or something.
    Heehee.
    I took the dog for her evening BM with a foot of snow on the ground. I actually heard one of the neighbor ladies tell her husband to come look at the fool in shorts. That would be me!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    since this is talking about the clark.... HOW are you able to use an under quilt with those pockets??? Do you just cover the bottom/sides and don't use the pockets?? I like to put my boots into one of them and that causes that pocket to stick out pretty far. If a quilt was then over that, would it still insulate just as well???? Oh, and also note that I'm in the Tropical, so no pockets in the center of the hammock (just on the ends)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I just put the UQ over the pockets and didn't use the pockets. Sealed up just fine. The boots will cause a problem if you try to put the UQ over them. It would be a very large very cold pocket of air.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I think I'll just take one of my wool blankets and try experimenting with it under the clark. maybe try hanging my boots on the ropes holding the hammock??? (not crazy about that idea) I really like having my stuff in those pockets but I would like to figure out a way to use an under quilt. Looks like I'll be doing some out the back door hanging, to work on some ideas. Maybe use an under quilt, put the boots in that pocket but also have a piece of wool, or a down pillow, something that I can put into that pocket next to the hammock with the boots on the other side.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Raws down pocket pillows might be a solution since you could put them in the pockets and then stow the gear under them in the pocket. I'm thinking about a quilt too for when warmer weather may make the cool air from gaps in the pockets more desireable. I guess in really cold temps I could forego the pockets if the quilt would keep me warm.

Hammock
    Clark Camo NA
    Tarp
    XL rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    I have camped out all four seasons in a Clark tropical model. Now I use a Clark NA model.

I have the Big Agnes lost ranger bag an use a closed cell pad in it. This works well for me. However I am a warm sleeper and very well aclimated to the outdoors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast