Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp

Cheapest hammocking kit index

This is a complementary thread to the most expensive hammock setup.

So, how ab posting the total US dollar amount for your cheapest kit? Only include hammocks, tarps, UQs TQs, and anything that would be taken on one backpacking trip. Tacos, burritos, pea pods acceptable. Trying to get it so we can compare apples with apples. Can add cost of a pack as a separate item since not everyone backpacks. Pl give description (make/model)

Doesn't matter if you car/canoe/kayak camp since weight is not an issue. Visualize what would go in one pack.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I would love to toss number out in this thread but it is very hard to do so in my situation because I ordered rolls of fabric and other supplies to make hammocks for all my family and friends so the cost is abit offset. It is much cheaper per hammock for me than those who just bought supplies to make one hammock. I also used the same material to make many other accessories for my hammock and gear.

Sorry I couldnt get some numbers together.
    I will have to do a complete inventory some day and provide an accurate cost analysis on them. But lets just say it can be pretty cheap if you're making more than just one hammock. But it isn't the savings that drove me to MYOG, it was the enjoyment of making the gear to begin with.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    If you are tough enough, you can make do with practically nothing when 'camping'. I've done plenty of 'camping on the cheap' with bad gear, not by choice!
    And, who is to judge what the appropriate 'level of comfort' should be when 'out there' ? I won't trade my hammock for a tied-off cloth rectangle, but it may suit others perfectly - and they will probably cover more miles than me.

Sorry, long off-topic:
    Discussions about camping/bivvy gear invariably remind me of Eric Newby's 'A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short...the_Hindu_Kush
    From the Newby obit:
    Eric Newby, who died on Friday aged 86, was the author of some of the best books in the canon of English travel writing, notably A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush and Love and War in the Apennines.

Informed by a pin-sharp eye and a self-deprecating persona, Newby's literary style was inspired by the comic portrait of the Englishman abroad presented in the writings of Alexander Kinglake, Robert Byron and Evelyn Waugh. In a preface to the book that made Newby's reputation, A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush (1958), Waugh identified the central elements of this humorous tradition: its quintessentially English spirit of amateurism and its tone of ironic understatement.

For Newby's "short walk" was in reality an arduous journey through the more remote parts of Afghanistan, culminating in a dangerous assault on Mir Samir, an unclimbed glacial peak of 20,000ft. The sum of his preparation for the mountaineering ahead was a brief weekend on the Welsh hills.

Some of the book's comedy is genuine, as when tribesmen test the waterproof nature of Newby's watch by immersing it in a goat stew. But much of its humour stems from a self-ridicule that borders on melancholy, such as the description of the exquisite pain Newby suffered from walking in new boots, literally flaying his feet. He was fortunately far tougher than his literary persona suggested.

A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush climaxes with the most celebrated meeting between travellers since that of Livingstone and Stanley, when a tottering Newby encounters the striding form of Wilfred Thesiger on the banks of the Upper Panjshir.

The meeting is presented as that of inept amateur and professional adventurer, with Thesiger representing a certain Englishness to be both admired and satirised. When Newby and his companion begin blowing up air mattresses to cushion their rocky beds, Thesiger reacts with immortal disdain: "God, you must be a couple of pansies."

George Eric Newby was born in Hammersmith, west London, on December 6 1919.
    If you don't know Wilfred Thesiger's writing, you might find it interesting & refreshing.
    An extraordinary life...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-Thesiger.html

Back to the regular scheduled program......

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    This is a complementary thread to the most expensive hammock setup.

So, how ab posting the total US dollar amount for your cheapest kit? Only include hammocks, tarps, UQs TQs, and anything that would be taken on one backpacking trip. Tacos, burritos, pea pods acceptable. Trying to get it so we can compare apples with apples. Can add cost of a pack as a separate item since not everyone backpacks. Pl give description (make/model)

Doesn't matter if you car/canoe/kayak camp since weight is not an issue. Visualize what would go in one pack.
    Depending on how warm the weather is, a hammock setup can cost as little as $10. My cheapest hammock, which has no fly or bugnet, would be ~$24

Hammock
    diy 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Insulation
    hg incubator
    Suspension
    dutch whoopie hook
    11 foot 1.9 oz spliced cinch buckle suspension with 20' of webbing for 23 dollars all from cottage vendors on the forrum.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 D/ WBRR DOUBLE 1.7
    Tarp
    Big daddy. WB CB
    Insulation
    KAQ summer quilt
    Walmart 12.99 hammock took it with me camping with the kids in our 30 foot camper I stayed outside .....

• + New Posts