Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Mythbusting: Ridgeline & 30 degree pitch angle

I spent ten nights sleeping in a Nite Owl in my backyard with a "bad" pitch: trees too far apart, hammock not centered between trees, downhill tree sling too low, etc. My structural ridgeline tight as a guitar string.

I've read on here that a structural ridgeline should not be too tight, and that you should be able to twist 90 deg. with fingers.

So this weekend I fixed all that. Pushed up the tree straps several feet with my trekking pole. Lengthened the suspension significantly. Centered the hammock. Now the suspension hangs at 30 deg. and the structural ridgeline has little tension.

I lie in the hammock and feel no difference. After ten nights I should notice any slight change. I slept in the hammock overnight and felt no difference.

This is great news for hammockers. In places with no good pitches, don't worry, just hang it and your structural ridgeline will pull the ends where they should be to make you comfortable.
    Last edited by dakine; 09-16-2013 at 23:33. Reason: Added "structural" before "ridgeline"

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakine View Post
    I spent ten nights sleeping in a Nite Owl in my backyard with a "bad" pitch: trees too far apart, hammock not centered between trees, downhill tree sling too low, etc. My ridgeline tight as a guitar string.

I've read on here that the ridgeline should not be too tight, and that you should be able to twist 90 deg. with fingers.

So this weekend I fixed all that. Pushed up the tree straps several feet with my trekking pole. Lengthened the suspension significantly. Centered the hammock. Now the suspension hangs at 30 deg. and the ridgeline has little tension.

I lie in the hammock and feel no difference. After ten nights I should notice any slight change. I slept in the hammock overnight and felt no difference.

This is great news for hammockers. In places with no good pitches, don't worry, just hang it and your ridgeline will pull the ends where they should be to make you comfortable.

I think you might be taking the 30° angle and ridgeline tension out of context alittle. The main reasons for the 30° is it lessens the force/load on the suspension and for hammocks without a ridgeline, it is a good starting point for getting the hammock set at a comfortable angle. The tension on the ridgeline just goes hand in hand with the angle and tension of the suspension.

Hanging your suspension like a guitar string may work but if there is a weak point, the chances of it being exposed increased with the lesser of an angle you hang from. There is a chart on this in several places, one of which is on my site which is linked in my signature.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...This is great news for hammockers. In places with no good pitches, don't worry, just hang it and your ridgeline will pull the ends where they should be to make you comfortable.
    Very good grasshopper, you have discovered the purpose of the structural ridgeline on your own.

Yep...that's what it's for and why we use them.

I'm referring to folks saying ridgeline tension affects comfort. There are many. Here is one:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...88&postcount=9

And why are people worried about ridgeline breakage? Just use proper rope and connection methods. No different than the rest of the suspension. You've even got those expensive ridgeline kits that everyone uses.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Re: Mythbusting: Ridgeline & 30 degree pitch angle

I'm referring to folks saying ridgeline tension affects comfort. There are many. Here is one:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...88&postcount=9

And why are people worried about ridgeline breakage? Just use proper rope and connection methods. No different than the rest of the suspension. You've even got those expensive ridgeline kits that everyone uses.
    After reading that linked post I think you might be taking what he is saying out of context a little bit also. It looks like that person was just explaining how they achieved a more comfortable lay by tweaking their suspension to make their ridgeline essentially shorter by making it loose and that others experiencing the same issues with that specific hammock could benefit from trying it out also.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Huggers & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Very good grasshopper, you have discovered the purpose of the structural ridgeline on your own.

Yep...that's what it's for and why we use them.
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to be blunt about it.

Personally, I don't use a structural ridgeline, but everywhere that I hang, I have plenty of trees to choose from and I've just never felt the need. I think eventually I'll add one just for something to do, but this is also one reason that I use the Atlas straps. If it doesn't feel right, move up or down a loop and I'm good to go.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    (raises hand)
    Please include me in the list of folks who know that both ridgeline tension and suspension angle affect comfort.
    I've spent some time in a hammock, but never in a Nite Owl so I can't speak of that particular hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    after reading that linked post I think you might be taking what he is saying out of context a little bit also. It looks like that person was just explaining how they achieved a more comfable lay by tweaking there suspension.
    He is saying: tight ridgeline is less comfortable. I don't know what "context" you keep talking about? Please reread carefully.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdamEich View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to be blunt about it.

Personally, I don't use a structural ridgeline, but everywhere that I hang, I have plenty of trees to choose from and I've just never felt the need. I think eventually I'll add one just for something to do, but this is also one reason that I use the Atlas straps. If it doesn't feel right, move up or down a loop and I'm good to go.
    I think lots of folks don't use them. It's just a preference thing for most & it helps them hang at a consistent measurement for quick comfort. Hammocks have been around for years without using a SRL. HYOH an enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    (raises hand)
    Please include me in the list of folks who know that ridgeline tension and suspension angle does indeed affect comfort.
    I've spent some time in a hammock, but never in a Nite Owl so I can't speak of that particular hammock.
    Cool, it this just a theory, or have you tried a side by side test like I have?

And can you describe how it feels different?
    Last edited by dakine; 09-16-2013 at 15:14.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast