diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings

speer winter tarp ?

do people love it? Was looking at the postings but didnt find a lot. maybe didnt dig deep enough. I want to spend a $100 + or - on a tarp that I can fit 2 hammocks under. I like the idea of doors... I'll keep looking

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The SWT is an excellent tarp for 2 person use. I use one and have hung both myself and my son under in a few times now. As for the "doors", they can be closed almost completely to help keep out rain, snow, high winds, etc. A few weeks ago, this was a big advantage for me when we got quite a bit of snow on an overnighter near Hot Springs. Do bear in mind, though, that having the doors open will increase the amount of condensation that builds up under your tarp, especially if you hang it low.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    I like my SWT. It is very versatile, and I don't think you would have any problems hanging two hammocks under it. With two hammocks, I don't think you would be able to close the doors completely, unless they were hung on top of each other.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Do bear in mind, though, that having the doors open will increase the amount of condensation that builds up under your tarp, especially if you hang it low.
    (emphasis added)

Is this correct? I would have thought the reverse as open doors would improve the circulation....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, no problem fitting two hammocks under a SWT. Been there, tried that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    I was noticing on the wb tarp there's pull outs on the side. I didnt know if bigger tarps need this for more control in high winds, or lots of snow? Im just trying to budget my hammock gear spending for two. and I noticed on one of the post the jrb tarp got torn in high winds. is that common for the jrb to do that?
    thanks guys I'll keep researching the post.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Japandy View Post
    I was noticing on the wb tarp there's pull outs on the side. I didnt know if bigger tarps need this for more control in high winds, or lots of snow? Im just trying to budget my hammock gear spending for two. and I noticed on one of the post the jrb tarp got torn in high winds. is that common for the jrb to do that?
    First of all, any tarp can tear in a high-wind situation. My thought is that most people overdo their tie-outs. Me, I want them to be the weak points and the point of failure...not my tarps. JMO

Actually, the WB tarps catch a little flack because they only have 2 tie-outs per side. I think most of the 11' & 12' ridge tarps have 3 or more tie-outs per side. They do help when dealing with the wind. The large wall makes a nice target for the wind and most people will set-up in that position on purpose. When I use my winter tarps I tend to set-up on an angle to the wind; I let the tarp corners take the hits. This makes for a little less protection from the wind for me, but the SuperFly has pretty large doors and I have yet to have to deal with any real wind/breeze under my tarp. Plus, my tarp stays safe and I never deal with condensation under my tarps.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 04-01-2009 at 09:47. Reason: Feet; not inches!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I recently bought an OES 12x10 tarp in a similar style to the speer winter tarp, but haven't gotten a chance to set it up yet. I was hoping the little extra bit of coverage would help when using it over two hammocks, plus I got some extra tieouts added to give the tarp some more pitching options. I'll hopefully post some pics in a few days.

The tie outs in the middle of the side walls of the tarp can be really useful when you're in a serious wind - I get the same effect using a couple of grip clips to pull out the side of my tarp if it's crazy windy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Japandy View Post
    I just realized you are talking about the tie-outs on the wall itself, not on the bottom edge. Duuuuh! Yes they help, but still not a good idea to face the wall against the wind if the wind is bad. I use them more for gaining extra room under the tarp when in full winter mode.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BBWB
    Tarp
    reflective cuben
    Insulation
    wb bag and sc uq
    Suspension
    testing w slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I just realized you are talking about the tie-outs on the wall itself, not on the bottom edge. Duuuuh! Yes they help, but still not a good idea to face the wall against the wind if the wind is bad. I use them more for gaining extra room under the tarp when in full winter mode.
    How would you recommend positioning in high winds?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast