Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire

3 Week Gear Test :tonguesmilie:

Or maybe 3 successive 4 day weekends, during deer season.

Gear Test: Toxaway Tarp, 20* HG Clone 3/4 UQ, JRB 40* Stealth Sniveler.

Last weekend our heavy weather occurred Saturday night, one night before 23 Tornadoes rolled through the state. We missed those entirely, but the weather the night before was, heavy, lots of rain, and high winds, constant throughout the night time hours, well into morning.

Never pulled a stake, and only took a small amount of spray, which beaded up nicely w/o soaking the ends of the BIAS WW. I thought I'd need an UQ protector, in these conditions, but the Toxaway battened down low and tight, left the ground and insulation dry beneath it. The wind was wicked, sometimes brutally slamming the weather side of the tarp broadside into me, but the Tato gear pull outs, sold by Dutchware did the job, taking the brunt of the blow, and quickly returning tarp back into postion. I did experience the expected light, and I do say very light misting, that comes with the Sil material, but it was never of much concern.

The Tox passes

This coming week, the temps are supposed to drop out from under us, for our first good cold spell, down to a low of 14* Saturday night, with light snow. I can hardly wait. I'll be bringing the old CCF, and a couple different Reflectix sit and foot pads, as well as additional sleep base layers, and probably a light fleecie, and see just how far this 40/20 insulation kit can be pushed.

The following week, maybe I'll get a chance to test both. I'll round up the pics and post after Round #2
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I plan on being out Sat night to test my system for this winter . Should get some snow and temps in the teens so that should expose some weak links before it really gets cold .
    If you have time post some pics if you will . I don't know the names of the gear too well ( especially name brands )so pics would help me out . Does it get cold south of Indianapolis ? I thought that was more like Alabama or Louisiana down there .

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Will do.

I certainly hope so riverjoe.

Did mid 20's on last year's hunt, and my kit is better, so teens aren't that much of a stretch. I can bail to a cot in a heated camper, but that just isn't going to happen. That cot is torture. Full length cold. Shoulder Squeeze. No pillow is right for it, or will stay on it.

Basically being car camping, I also have the option of piling on additional insulation, that I would never care to, or be able to carry, in a hiking situation, but the goal is to keep these tests within the existing confines of what will fit into my Golite Pinnacle.

Good Luck this weekend to you too! Let us know how it goes
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Did some camping down there in Feb of 2012 (next county over ie Floyd ). That was on the ground :26: and I got very little sleep . Not cold but uncomfortable as heck . So we cooked a light supper and settled in for the evening . Expecting a low of 35 degrees Fahrenheit .

The coldest night I ever spent was on a cot . Didn't know about underquilts back then .

The next morning grandson and I hike down the creek looking for arrowheads , fossils , crawdads or whatever else we can find . Lots of Beech as you can see in this pic.

• + New Posts