Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

AT and I-40

I posted this question on White Blaze, but thought I might run it by you guys as well. Does anyone know where I-40 crosses over the AT; ie: What town or exit number? Or even what it is closest to? Many thanks in advance for any assistance on this one.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think it's around either exit 23 or 28, near Hot Springs.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

it is the exit 451 which is the waterville exit off I-40. Go down the exit ramp but do not turn to the right. Go straight across and the road will go under I-40 and turn quickly into a gravel rd. The stairs leading up to the AT are on your left.
    http://www.thebackpacker.com/picture...4sy7e3u319.php

http://www.thebackpacker.com/picture...fbaj6qxcx5.php

http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/ogjhlh.php

Images
    Waterville is the name on the exit and it is near Hardford, TN. If you look carefully where the paved road turns to the right, you will see white blazes.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate it. I pretty much got the same info on White Blaze. I've e-mailed Curtis at Standing Bear Farm to see how much to park my car there and shuttle me to Fontana Dam so I can start hiking NOBO back to Standing Bear. Just waiting for a reply @ this point. Hopefully I can get the rest of the bugs worked out so I can get the section hike going in early June, maybe the first weekend after school gets out. I'm really looking forward to it, can't wait to see how it goes. Thanks again for the intel, gang!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I just completed the exact trip you are planning: Curtis, shuttle to Fontana, hike to Standing Bear, the last week of March. Thumbs up to Curtis. The Gods were smiling on me - weather was mild and dry, unlike the next week which was stormy and freezing. You do need to get permits from GSMP, I met a Ranger and he asked for my papers. And, section hikers are required to sleep on 2x4s in the shelters (no hammocks). In my case a couple of Rangers and Ridge Runners were around at the shelters to enforce the rules.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    I just completed the exact trip you are planning: Curtis, shuttle to Fontana, hike to Standing Bear, the last week of March. Thumbs up to Curtis. The Gods were smiling on me - weather was mild and dry, unlike the next week which was stormy and freezing. You do need to get permits from GSMP, I met a Ranger and he asked for my papers. And, section hikers are required to sleep on 2x4s in the shelters (no hammocks). In my case a couple of Rangers and Ridge Runners were around at the shelters to enforce the rules.
    Glad you had a good hike TightWad. My plans have changed to meet the upcoming SEHHA hangout in June. I'm starting at the I-40 crossing and, again, going NOBO to Hot Springs, ending up there on Friday, June 8 to attend the hangout. I'm catching a shuttle to the I-40 crossing from a friend who owns Creekridge Camping (www.creekridgecamping.com; sorry for the shameless plug) in Hot Springs and leaving my car there at the campground. I'm looking forward to it! I'm really excited about it because it'll be the first time I've hiked any portion of the AT since I was a Boy Scout back in the early 80's.

Hooch, I posted my Ga AT trip report on White Blaze. Since there wasn't any hammocking in it I can't post it here.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Hooch, I posted my Ga AT trip report on White Blaze. Since there wasn't any hammocking in it I can't post it here.
    Thanks Ewker......have a link to it?

link to Ewker and Creek Dancer's TR: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24000

Ewker's pictures from trip: pics
    Last edited by jlb2012; 04-26-2007 at 14:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast