Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

7.5 oz Climashield Apex UQ

Hello all! Just finishing up another project - a 7.5 oz Climashield Apex UQ in camo.

I got 2 yards of 5.0 and 1 yard of 2.5 from Thru Hiker. I put the 2.5 lengthwise on the 5.0 section and sewed them together so the 2.5 wouldn't shift. Used a needle and thread for that. I then cut the Climashield to the size I wanted - 78x50 - I made a 1" seam allowance.

Then I used some left over 1.8 camo that I got from Scott at DIY Gear Supply, and some 1.1 black ripstop scrap and made an uq.

Here's a trick - I used the inside out method to put everything together - with the fabric on one side and bare Climashield on the other - It's a lot easier to cut a 2 inch wide or so scrap of ripstop to place on the Climashield side to sew thru. No snags or snarls that way - it went very quick. Just pin everything together. I used a pin every 6 or so inches with no problems.

Instead of a small open section to pull the quilt inside out, I just left the end completely open and then pulled it inside out - takes about 5 seconds.

I then sewed the end closed and all that's left is to add some 1.9 ripstop tubes as channels - I'm just going to sew them on the edges.

Pictures of the channels and it hanging on my matching camo hammock tomorrow.

This is a very easy project that can be done in a few hours. I placed the 2.5 in the center of the 5.0 and it covers all but 7 inches on the sides and ends. I wanted most of the insulation from my shoulders to my knees.

Now if some cold weather would drop by, I could test it with my gore-tex sock. I believe I'm ready for winter!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Outstanding Lost_Biker! I'll be curious to see how much it weighs and how big it is stuffed after you add your suspension, etc.

We've managed to get down to 61 one night so far. Nothing below that forecast for the next week so still haven't tested mine either.

Nice.
    Did you make the cameo side larger with darts as you would with. Down quilt?
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Just did the same thing with some 2.5, but used small strips of scrap over the Climashield rather than the whole length. I also sewed the channels in at the same time as I sewed the insulation and covers. I hemmed a two inch channel, then pinned it between the layers so that they would be on the outside once I pulled it inside out. Then folded the open end in and inserted another pre-made channel in between. I have a hard time telling which end was the open end now.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Nice.
    Did you make the cameo side larger with darts as you would with. Down quilt?
    Nope - just equal lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Just did the same thing with some 2.5, but used small strips of scrap over the Climashield rather than the whole length. I also sewed the channels in at the same time as I sewed the insulation and covers. I hemmed a two inch channel, then pinned it between the layers so that they would be on the outside once I pulled it inside out. Then folded the open end in and inserted another pre-made channel in between. I have a hard time telling which end was the open end now.
    Yeah, I thought about doing all that, but changed my mind and took short cuts instead. I only had a few hours and was running out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Outstanding Lost_Biker! I'll be curious to see how much it weighs and how big it is stuffed after you add your suspension, etc.

We've managed to get down to 61 one night so far. Nothing below that forecast for the next week so still haven't tested mine either.
    I'm afraid to weigh it. It's a monster when all rolled up. I'll post more pics tomorrow.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    What is the point of the strip of ripstop?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    You lay it on top of the climashield and sew through it to keep the insulation from getting caught in the foot. You can use a continuous run or several 6-8 inch strips and sew only at the strips

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Looks great, love the camo!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    Yeah - what sarge said - less frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    You lay it on top of the climashield and sew through it to keep the insulation from getting caught in the foot. You can use a continuous run or several 6-8 inch strips and sew only at the strips
    Thanks for answering sarge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Looks great, love the camo!
    Thanks Mountnman!

Underquilts.com

Images
    Nice work. I was in Indiana one winter many years ago so I can understand the need .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast