Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    Equinox Egret
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas

inexpensive under insulation options

I just had my first hammock experience this past weekend and loved it! I had a standard closed cell pad, a cheapo 30° bag I got off Woot, and an inexpensive grand trunk hammock. Once I found a position that had the pad under me, I was snug and warm over the two night racing event. It was very wet on Friday with a low of 39°f and my next race event looks very similar, but with a lot more wind. Windy sounds like a big problem so I've started searching for underquilts. I'm finding that they're prohibitively expensive (buying two sets of everything, one for me and one for my girlfriend). Are there cheap options out there? I tend to think that a couple more sleeping bags and some rigging should work.

Weight is not a consideration unless it threatens to break something. Our longest hike to a site is less than a mile. I just want a good experience with hammock camping without spending thousands of dollars on features that are worthless to me (like weight)

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    You could make an underquilt from a cheap synthetic bag. PLUQ is out - def to cold for that.

You could also stick with the pad. Look into segmented pad extenders to increase shoulder coverage.

Arrowhead equipment also sells synthetic uqs for about half the price of down.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
    I just had my first hammock experience this past weekend and loved it! I had a standard closed cell pad, a cheapo 30° bag I got off Woot, and an inexpensive grand trunk hammock. Once I found a position that had the pad under me, I was snug and warm over the two night racing event. It was very wet on Friday with a low of 39°f and my next race event looks very similar, but with a lot more wind. Windy sounds like a big problem so I've started searching for underquilts. I'm finding that they're prohibitively expensive (buying two sets of everything, one for me and one for my girlfriend). Are there cheap options out there? I tend to think that a couple more sleeping bags and some rigging should work.

Weight is not a consideration unless it threatens to break something. Our longest hike to a site is less than a mile. I just want a good experience with hammock camping without spending thousands of dollars on features that are worthless to me (like weight)

Thanks in advance!
    I can think of 2 options for you to purchase, really only one. The first is a Hennessy Super Shelter(HHSS) especially with the Oct sale coming up. But it is really only meant for the Hennessy Hammock, so that probably won't work for you.

Next is a Jarbidge from AHE, sadly you just missed their annual sale, but it runs about $100 plus shipping and is well reviewed around here, and will fit most hammocks.

If that is still too much, look into wrapping the sleeping bag around the entire hammock. Search Shug's videos about Pod style sleeping. You will be trying to copy the PeaPod system like this:
    http://www.tttrailgear.com/speer-peapod/
    except using your own sleeping bag. If your bag is big enough and has a full length zipper it can be done, though it might take a good bit of experimenting and rigging. Or if the zipper won't work, you might can cut a small hole in the foot of the bag for the hammock suspension to go through. The advantage is it is free. These systems, adjusted and working right, can be really warm.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=27278

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=27487

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=27320

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    You can also try DIY. There are several options that are relatively simple and inexpensive if you're willing to give thread injection a shot.

If I can do it, anybody can.

My first Underquilt was a North Face sleeping bag with the zipper removed and a channel sewn down each side and each end with shock cord running through. Its heavy and bulky, but its as warm as a hug from your momma, and if your primary use of your hammock is at racing events its a viable option. I didn't make that quilt, I took it to a lady in town and explained what I needed. It cost me $50 to have her do the sewing on the bag. If I did it myself today it would cost me less than $20, plus the bag.

Tarp
    Equinox Egret
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Awesome, this is already a huge help. $100 each is fine for something that works, but I don't want to go too much higher than that. My biggest concern is making sure this isn't a terrible first camping experience for my girlfriend, and nothing ruins camping faster than being cold and wet.

I just ordered a couple jarbridges, and will report back after testing them. I think I'm in pretty good shape with that. Right now I want to just buy a "solution" since I'm going to have a learning curve to overcome. I don't want to add dig complications into that, at this point. Perhaps when I'm ready for an upgrade.
    Last edited by drummingpariah; 09-21-2013 at 01:12. Reason: purchased jarbridge

The jarbridge is a 3/4 length quilt and if I'm not mistaken rated to 30* for the 3 season version. But definitely look at arrowhead equipment and the other vendors and compare their equipment materials and cost.

DIY will be your cheapest route but you mentioned that your concerns were rain and wind. Can you give a bit more information on your setup so far?

I have slept down into the low teens with heavy wind and rain with both a pad and underquilt. But I also tend to keep some sort of underlayer on. I will say that even with an UQ that if you don't have your tarp down and blocking most of the wind you will get cold as the quilt will not keep all of the wind out.

Tarp
    Equinox Egret
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by warloc4326 View Post
    DIY will be your cheapest route but you mentioned that your concerns were rain and wind. Can you give a bit more information on your setup so far?
    14x14 cheap blue harbor freight tarps, I had set it up in a diamond configuration. It seemed to work well.
    Grand trunk hammocks.
    AHE whoopie slings with toggles
    Way more neon 550 cord than I could need, so I can work out my rigging without being concerned with cutting lines.
    Cheap Woot 30° bags. They're big and heavy but very warm.
    Blue sleeping pads that aren't nearly wide enough. I may buy a couple more and cut one up to make shoulder pads.
    No bug netting for now, its been cold enough that the mosquios are done for the year. I have a roll of no-see-um but I'll wait for next season to put it to use.

I feel like there should be more on this list, but it looks like that it.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A good trick for the pad is to cut it in half. Making two sections around 24 x 30. Lay one section at a 90* to the other. The wider section will cover your shoulders (your widest area) and the lower covers your waist and legs.

Images
    Awesome, this is already a huge help. $100 each is fine for something that works, but I don't want to go too much higher than that. My biggest concern is making sure this isn't a terrible first camping experience for my girlfriend, and nothing ruins camping faster than being cold and wet.

I just ordered a couple jarbridges, and will report back after testing them. I think I'm in pretty good shape with that. Right now I want to just buy a "solution" since I'm going to have a learning curve to overcome. I don't want to add dig complications into that, at this point. Perhaps when I'm ready for an upgrade.
    14x14 cheap blue harbor freight tarps, I had set it up in a diamond configuration. It seemed to work well.
    Grand trunk hammocks.
    AHE whoopie slings with toggles
    Way more neon 550 cord than I could need, so I can work out my rigging without being concerned with cutting lines.
    Cheap Woot 30° bags. They're big and heavy but very warm.
    Blue sleeping pads that aren't nearly wide enough. I may buy a couple more and cut one up to make shoulder pads.
    No bug netting for now, its been cold enough that the mosquios are done for the year. I have a roll of no-see-um but I'll wait for next season to put it to use.

I feel like there should be more on this list, but it looks like that it.
    Excellent choice on the Jarbidge! I have many other quilts and such, but I recently ordered a JB on sale just because the price was so great and I've heard so much good about it.

Drum, you will not likely need a wider pad or any pad at all now that you have a Jarbidge on the way, at least not until you go below 30(though still good to have as backup and you will need something for your feet, plus people vary greatly) and if you keep the wind well blocked with your tarp. Here is a video on correct set up:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=79686
    Also remmeber that you can boost any UQ by sleeping in poorly compressing layers like fleece and/or sleeping inside a poorly compressing( aka synthetic) sleeping bag. This will buy you a few more degrees.
    Your 14X14 tarp is huge, and you may be able to get better wind blocking by setting it up in some config other than diamond. Have fun!

Re: inexpensive under insulation options

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Also remmeber that you can boost any UQ by sleeping in poorly compressing layers like fleece and/or sleeping inside a poorly compressing( aka synthetic) sleeping bag. This will buy you a few more degrees.
    Your 14X14 tarp is huge, and you may be able to get better wind blocking by setting it up in some config other than diamond. Have fun!
    Thanks for wording it that way BillyBob! as that's exactly what I was getting at.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast