Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    Equinox Egret
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    I just picked up the second 14x14 tarp for my girlfriend, and I think we're in good shape at this point. Most of our clothing is cotton, but I'll make sure we have plenty of spares (this is ultimate camping, not ultimate hiking, after all). I wish I didn't live right downtown, and could test everything out before going out ... but it is what it is.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
    I just picked up the second 14x14 tarp for my girlfriend, and I think we're in good shape at this point. Most of our clothing is cotton, but I'll make sure we have plenty of spares (this is ultimate camping, not ultimate hiking, after all). I wish I didn't live right downtown, and could test everything out before going out ... but it is what it is.
    Well as long as you have a safe bailout option, anything goes. But, I know you want your girlfriend to have a warm 1st experience. But cotton will just kill you! Only really a danger when hiking ( read up on last years Mt. Rogers winter hike), but it is cold stuff and such a moisture magnet(I swear it sucks it right out of the humid air, it is great stuff to keep you cool on a hot day!) and never dries except in real warm weather. Have you ever walked into a closet in winter, and placed your hand on a cotton shirt and then a polyester shirt if you have one? I swear the cotton always feels cold to the touch and the synthetics or wool don't, no where near as cool to the touch.

But I know you have to go with what you have, and at least the Jarbidge Climashield will help suck some of the humidity out that might have been absorbed by your cotton. But if you can find any kind of old polyester fleece shirts or pants around the house, to replace cotton shirts and jeans, you will be way better off. ( or if you can find some super cheap at a Salvation Army/Goodwill store or even new at Sams and WM?) But again, as long as a bail out is handy, no worries! I look forward to the trip report!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC & DH TBird - Toss up!
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    All things Dutch
    i was el cheapo when i started. two bungees one on each of 2 of the corners of an old sleeping bag hung over the ridge line. worked great untill it rained, THEN i bought a tarp ...smile

Tarp
    Equinox Egret
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by tikhon View Post
    i was el cheapo when i started. two bungees one on each of 2 of the corners of an old sleeping bag hung over the ridge line. worked great untill it rained, THEN i bought a tarp ...smile
    Hahahaha, that must have been a fun discovery, as you carried your now-30-lb-sleeping-bag out of the woods. I should have the AHE underquilts this week, and for the time being I'm just going to stick with the Harbor Freight tarps: they function.

It looks like one of my hiking bags has gone missing, along with my cook kit and probably some other gear (and my 'ultimate hang' book, which made me pretty sad). I guess that gives me something to do while I wait for the cold weather to drop in on us.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
    Hahahaha, that must have been a fun discovery, as you carried your now-30-lb-sleeping-bag out of the woods. I should have the AHE underquilts this week, and for the time being I'm just going to stick with the Harbor Freight tarps: they function.

It looks like one of my hiking bags has gone missing, along with my cook kit and probably some other gear (and my 'ultimate hang' book, which made me pretty sad). I guess that gives me something to do while I wait for the cold weather to drop in on us.
    Once the cold weather drops in in NH, you obviously have some serious cold to contend with. Are you strictly a 3 season camper? The Jarbidge(JB) is great, but it is only rated for 30F. Though, with a 6 oz layer of CS I have always felt it should be good for at least a bit lower than that for me considering my experience with my old Yeti variable layer CS UQ, including warm on a night in the high 40s with only a single layer of 2.5 oz CS under me. Plus, several people here have reported success using the JB much lower than 30F.

Still, that is not much for NH. How are you planning on extending the JB's range if you get a fall cold snap way below 30? No problems, lots of ways. A space blanket between hammock and UQ always works great for me, as does VB clothing. But the most common way is obviously a torso pad, plus sleeping in poorly compressing synthetic fleece or wool layers or inside a poorly compressing synthetic bag. All of this can add from a few degrees to a bunch. And there is the old fall back trick of using even a cheap but large sleeping bag wrapped completely around everything, including the Jarbidge. Even with just a 30F bag, that will take you down WAY lower if needed.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    One and one half sleeping pads works great. cross them under your torso. That gives you double layer where you need it. and covers your shoulders and elbows where a pad tends to leave cold spots pressing against the hammock fabric.

If you're worried about your bag warmth, add a poncho liner inside. I tie up three of the laces across the bottom to form a sort of bag liner that I can pull down into the bag with my feet. Otherwise it's awkward to get into the bag.

this setup is comfortable into the teens.
    note: I used this setup with a Double layer hammock, but it should work with a single layer just as well as a single pad does.
    grinder

Tarp
    Equinox Egret
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Once the cold weather drops in in NH, you obviously have some serious cold to contend with. Are you strictly a 3 season camper? The Jarbidge(JB) is great, but it is only rated for 30F. Though, with a 6 oz layer of CS I have always felt it should be good for at least a bit lower than that for me considering my experience with my old Yeti variable layer CS UQ, including warm on a night in the high 40s with only a single layer of 2.5 oz CS under me. Plus, several people here have reported success using the JB much lower than 30F.

Still, that is not much for NH. How are you planning on extending the JB's range if you get a fall cold snap way below 30? No problems, lots of ways. A space blanket between hammock and UQ always works great for me, as does VB clothing. But the most common way is obviously a torso pad, plus sleeping in poorly compressing synthetic fleece or wool layers or inside a poorly compressing synthetic bag. All of this can add from a few degrees to a bunch. And there is the old fall back trick of using even a cheap but large sleeping bag wrapped completely around everything, including the Jarbidge. Even with just a 30F bag, that will take you down WAY lower if needed.
    Real cold weather is a bridge I plan to cross when I get to it. None of my gearnis rated low, and we'll just have to see through science and testing how low I can bear with this rig. As for this weekend, it looks like the forecast isn't getting much lower than 42f at night, so I should be fine. Just to be on the safe side, I picked up a couple cheap mummy bags on Woot. The last thing I want is for my girlfend to be too cold over the weekend. We have a massive pile of gear piled up at the front door waiting to be loaded up in the morning. I'll have a bunch of video to offer after the trip, but don't expect to hear from me till next week!

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Traveller Lite
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 11'x11'
    Suspension
    1' DIY/Amstl Loops
    When the wind blows, those blue tarps can sound like you're inside a metal garbage can being pelted by frozen peas. Head over to the FS section, maybe you can DIY a tarp from some fabric there, or perhaps buy a tarp. Mine is an 11'x11' Guide Gear that I got for around $40. Tons of guy-outs and tabs underneath for the ridgeline.

Tarp
    Equinox Egret
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsilk View Post
    When the wind blows, those blue tarps can sound like you're inside a metal garbage can being pelted by frozen peas. Head over to the FS section, maybe you can DIY a tarp from some fabric there, or perhaps buy a tarp. Mine is an 11'x11' Guide Gear that I got for around $40. Tons of guy-outs and tabs underneath for the ridgeline.
    That noise was the only real complaint over the weekend. It rained Saturday night, which required us to tighten up our paracord ridgelines when they got soggy, but was uneventful otherwise. We were both comfy and warm, but it required two cheap sleeping bags at once to get that level of comfort. I really need to read up on ridgeline hanging, because I think I must have spent around 4 hours messing with our two ridgelines over the weekend. There's a ton of information out there, but if any of you can point me to a good solid starting point of information on ridgelines, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, the Atlas Pro straps are horrible. If your tree is less than two feet in diameter, they're utterly useless, and the loop-hooks are far too separated. The wider Atlas straps I set my girlfriend up with were totally hassle free. No issues whatsoever, since their loops are practically on top of each other so it's really easy to get a good sag and a good height without having to re-rig 5 times.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Glad it worked out for you. A 30"X36" CCF pad, mummy bag, and a fleece or wool blanket are what I use down into the mid 20's.
    Sounds like tarps are your next improvement. Used tarps are always for sale on the HF.
    P.S. The fun of hammocking is that it is as simple or complex as you choose - there is no exact right way. If you can find a way to quickly set-up and hang in the house/apt it is easy to experiment away. Search 'Turtledog stand' for the option I use to hang inside, on the deck, or close to the car.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast