Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

More Pad Questions

Newby here. I've been puzzling and searching this all day trying to figure out a way to work with what I have (or will have) and get out there and start hanging in mid-30 degree temps. Seems I picked the wrong season to learn to hammock. But, I have a new tarp and hammock on the way from Wilderness Logic so I'm gonna be jonesin' to swing. Not too worried about the top layers but the bottom's gonna take some figurin'.
    I would really rather stick to pads for now than fiddling with UQs, so I'm looking for the proper padding for a double layer hammock. I will be doing short hikes so volume is a greater concern than weight.
    I currently have:
    -Big Agnes Horse Thief down 35 degree bag with the pad sleeve for the back and BA Aircore Insulated Mummy pad.
    -Snugpak Merlin 30 degree (yeah right!) synthetic bag.
    -Thermarest Pro-Lite self inflating pad.
    -Thinsulate Poncho Liner
    -Lots of puffy clothing.
    So, the question is how best to make some of this stuff work and what to augment it with?

My first thought is to put the full BA Set-up with Air Core in the hammock just as if I were sleeping on the ground, and some type of insulator (ccp or reflectex) in the under sleeve but I worry about getting that piece positioned under my shoulders and whether it will shift.

OR: I could ditch the BA Air Corp for my old faithful Thermarest on top of some type of wider closed cell (like GG Thinlite?)

Questions about using the underbelly of this hammock. How do you get the pad to stay in position, how wide it needs to be, etc.

I know a lot of this will be trial and error but I'd like to learn from your experiences. Appreciate any help as the mountains are beautiful right now and I"m still sleeping on the ground

If it helps to know my temp comfort level: I slept in a 3 season tent by a lake a couple weeks ago in the Horse Thief on the BA Aircore wearing a merino baselayer and light insulated jacket down to 28 degrees and was toasty but uncomfortable.

For mid 30's I would stack 1/2 inch ccf under your Thermarest inflatable. For shoulders add wings, or use 1/4 inch ccf pad across in a "T" configuration.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I use GG Thinlite (3/8") pad in a single layer hammock (often). I cut mine down to 30" W X 36" L and just use the pad from shoulders down to thighs. You'll cut your pad to fit your hammock.
    1 pad down to about 35F, then 2 pads. I have a 45F SnugPac Jungle bag but below 55F I switch to a cheepo WalMart 0F mummy bag that's only good to 40F (use the hood and hat) and I add a fleece blanket inside and the SnugPac as a top quilt below 45F.
    I put something absorbent (a towel or cotton tee shirt) on top of the pad to catch moisture (pad is a Vapor Barrier).
    I also use a hot water bottle below 30 degrees.
    Hope this helps.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think your first thought is a good one. Something like reflectix might slip around, though. JRB makes a thin CCF torso pad that is plenty wide and is tacky enough to stay in the double layers pretty well. The GG Thinlite may be similar, I'm not familiar with it.

Then, I would use your BA insulated pad and Horse Thief bag. The torso pad will increase the efficiency of the combo so that you should get at least to 35 degrees in it. Only potential issue might be the lower half of your legs touching the sides - might have a little reflective bubble wrap to go around your legs in the bag.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this…..
    Pads will do you fine. Double up if needed. Get and ENO HotSpot to help wrangle them if you can or want.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I'll offer this…..
    Pads will do you fine. Double up if needed. Get and ENO HotSpot to help wrangle them if you can or want.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Thanks Shug,
    Noticed that was your single layer set-up. I'll be running a DBL WL Light Owl, so some quandry about what should go under the top layer and whether to try to use the pad sleeve in my BA sleeping bag?
    -Both a CCF and an inflatable under second layer.
    -Bag with BA AirCore in sleeve AND a torso width pad under.
    -SPE with Thermarest below.
    Right now I'm thinking about getting one of those RidgeRest 25" wide pads for use in option number 2. Just don't like the bulk it represents.

I've enjoyed your vids and they've been a great help to getting started right. As a video producer, what you do is pure Gold.
    BTW: Thinking it's first real test will be in the Linville Gorge area. Would like to get some advice on a good 2 day hike in the area but that's another topic.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    Newby here. I've been puzzling and searching this all day trying to figure out a way to work with what I have (or will have) and get out there and start hanging in mid-30 degree temps. Seems I picked the wrong season to learn to hammock.
    Not at all, you picked the best season! The bugs and snakes and a lot of the people are hibernating!

But, I have a new tarp and hammock on the way from Wilderness Logic so I'm gonna be jonesin' to swing. Not too worried about the top layers but the bottom's gonna take some figurin'.
    Exactly! Top is all the same. You needed your pad on the ground both for padding and insulation. Now you need it in your hammock for insulation only. The only new trick is staying on the pad in a hammock and maybe coming up with something extra for your shoulders.

I would really rather stick to pads for now than fiddling with UQs, so I'm looking for the proper padding for a double layer hammock. I will be doing short hikes so volume is a greater concern than weight.
    I currently have:
    -Big Agnes Horse Thief down 35 degree bag with the pad sleeve for the back and BA Aircore Insulated Mummy pad.
    You know, that was one of the original ways of staying warm in a hammock, the BA pad sleeves! It seems to have fallen out of favor, but no reason why that wouldn't work except maybe shoulder width. If not quite warm enough just slip a torso sized section of CCF in there on top of your other pad. There are people here who go way below zero with pads alone!

-Thermarest Pro-Lite self inflating pad.
    So, the question is how best to make some of this stuff work and what to augment it with?
    Can go in your WL pad pocket, you just need an extra piece of CCF for your shoulders. Plus, something like this is awful handy:
    http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...uct/A4011.html

My first thought is to put the full BA Set-up with Air Core in the hammock just as if I were sleeping on the ground
    That will work!

, and some type of insulator (ccp or reflectex) in the under sleeve but I worry about getting that piece positioned under my shoulders and whether it will shift.

OR: I could ditch the BA Air Corp for my old faithful Thermarest on top of some type of wider closed cell (like GG Thinlite?)

Questions about using the underbelly of this hammock. How do you get the pad to stay in position, how wide it needs to be, etc.

I know a lot of this will be trial and error but I'd like to learn from your experiences. Appreciate any help as the mountains are beautiful right now and I"m still sleeping on the ground

If it helps to know my temp comfort level: I slept in a 3 season tent by a lake a couple weeks ago in the Horse Thief on the BA Aircore wearing a merino baselayer and light insulated jacket down to 28 degrees and was toasty but uncomfortable.
    Use CCF to make a "T" under your shoulders, it should stay in place. Plus, check out Dakine's cool idea here:
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show....php?p=1127654

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the reassurance Billybob. Just tried out the BigAgnes Combo in my ENO DBLNST for about 30min. My broad shoulders are gonna be exposed and it's a 3/4 mummy pad so feet will need some protection too, but I'm sure this will work when I get the right CCF pad set-up underneath the Light Owl.
    Now the question of what pad to go with below. Thinking about large 25x77 Ridge Rest SoLite http://www.rei.com/product/810386/th...e-sleeping-pad
    might get it done but the thing seems pretty bulky.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    For shoulders this will work and save money:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tria...-Blue/16783660

you can probably shorten it to fit better and get a sit/foot pad in the bargain. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance Billybob. Just tried out the BigAgnes Combo in my ENO DBLNST for about 30min. My broad shoulders are gonna be exposed and it's a 3/4 mummy pad so feet will need some protection too, but I'm sure this will work when I get the right CCF pad set-up underneath the Light Owl.
    Now the question of what pad to go with below. Thinking about large 25x77 Ridge Rest SoLite http://www.rei.com/product/810386/th...e-sleeping-pad
    might get it done but the thing seems pretty bulky.
    I really like the Thermarest Ridge Rest. But it is bulky to pack because of the ridges. Instead of the Ridge Rest, consider getting two 1/4" evazote torso pads from JRB and stacking them:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/torso-pad/

Stacking two gets the same warmth for less thickness than the Ridge Rest, and packs a bit smaller. Costs less too. I use these in my Lite Owl quite often.
    Last edited by dakine; 11-08-2013 at 16:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast