Need help here (Total noob)

Hi
    I found this forum 4 days ago and am now suffering from complete information overload.(No complaint, just confused). Can't seem to find a thread/answer that fits all my needs.

First up let me give you some background............I am 56 years old, a long time back packer and hiker but always been on the ground. Now I'm looking for something to ease "dem bones" for a motorcycle trip, Arctic to Antarctic in 2014/2015. For the first time weight while being important, is not as critical as it was with back packing so I am looking for durability, versatility and "packability" rather than simply light weight.

I am 1.78m tall (5'10"), weighing 80kg (203lbs) and like to sleep as flat as possible and sleep quite warm. What I THINK I need is a hammock system that can pack smallish, but capable of being used consistently over a long period of time (tough wearing), handle a range of temperatures from sub zero to desert/Jungle temperatures, bug proof, good for stealth camping, but NOT camo. Simple design so parts can be "manufactured" or substited for in any country enroute.

Does this "animal" exist in the hammock world? Any help really appreciated
    Last edited by Wotnext; 09-21-2013 at 05:27. Reason: update

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    First off let me say that that sounds like one helluva trip. Good luck with it.

As for your questions, for the flattest lay a bridge hammock would be the best bet but I don't know how they are on packability.

Next in line I'd suggest looking at the Warbonnet XLC or the Dream Hammock Dangerbird or Thunderbird. They have removable nets and overcovers. So when it's buggy you can use the net and when it's cold you can use the overcover. I'd go with a double layer for extra bug protection in the jungly areas and you can add a pad for those Arctic and Antarctic areas. That's a serious range of temps, you're gonna be hard pressed to find a one size fits all solution to insulation. Maybe carry a pad for the warmer areas and a 0* for the colder ones and combine them for the coldest. Not sure just how low that'll get you. Shug would be a good person to ask about going sub zero.

That's the best help I can offer I'm sure others will come up something different.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I am relatively new myself and don't have the answers to your questions. I just wanted to wish you a safe journey on your trip. Sounds awesome.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotnext View Post
    Hi
    I found this forum 4 days ago and am now suffering from complete information overload.(No complaint, just confused). Can't seem to find a thread/answer that fits all my needs.

First up let me give you some background............I am 56 years old, a long time back packer and hiker but always been on the ground. Now I'm looking for something to ease "dem bones" for a motorcycle trip, Arctic to Antarctic in 2014/2015. For the first time weight while being important, is not as critical as it was with back packing so I am looking for durability, versatility and "packability" rather than simply light weight.

I am 1.78m tall (5'10"), weighing 80kg (203lbs) and like to sleep as flat as possible and sleep quite warm. What I THINK I need is a hammock system that can pack smallish, but capable of being used consistently over a long period of time (tough wearing), handle a range of temperatures from sub zero to desert/Jungle temperatures, bug proof, good for stealth camping, but NOT camo. Simple design so parts can be "manufactured" or substited for in any country enroute.

Not really. To get your insulation to pack small, you've got to use down and lightweight fabrics. But I wouldn't recommend down for arctic temps. You might want to check out Wiggys.com. I have some bags from them, you can buy them in sets that zip together like the military modular ones. They also have arctic sized bags that are proven to work. You be combating ice build up which is where Wiggy's bags excel, dealing with moisture. Down side, they're not too light or compress too small.
    Plus a heavy canvas walled tarp with a wood stove is what you'd regret you didn't have. It's cold there. I have a silnylon tarp with a small titanium woodstove, and as well as it hats up the tarp, it doesn't hold any of the heat well you you need to keep it stoked.

A lot of us here do live in cold climates, hanging in -20F isn't uncommon, and do fine with sil tarps and down quilts. Underground Quilts has come out with an impressive new down that's treated to make it resist water, making longer winter trips more enjoyable having less ice build up in the quilt.

For sleeping flat, and cold weather, in my opinion nothing beats a bridge hammock. I have Jacks R Better's fullsized bridge hammock. You sleep comfortably flat, and it's sorta like a tub, so the underquilts wrap up around you nicely, and don't mve, and your top quilt is in that tub, so no waking up with frozen feet because the bottom of the quilt fell off the hammock.
    An underquilt protector is also nice to help hold the heat in the quilt. That's what you see in the picture below.
    I use Warbonnet's Superfly tarp most of the year, until I need to break out the woodburner. Full coverage with doors for when that storm rolls in.

wiggys.com
    undergroundquilts.com/
    jacksrbetter.com
    warbonnetoutdoors.com
    2qzqhammockhanger.com
    titaniumgoat.com

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...32&postcount=9

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's where you can start on your search for the right configuration. A basic hammock system is made of the following elements:

1. The hammock
    2. The suspension (lines to tie hammock to trees)
    3. A tarp to protect you from the elements
    4. A top quilt to keep you warm
    5. A bottom quilt to keep you warm

For camping hammocks you have choices according to the tangibles of height and weight, and the intangibles of fit and comfort. You may also choose between gathered-end and bridge hammocks. Gatherered-end hammocks are the more traditional and popular type. Bridge hammocks are more bed-like and are heavier and bulkier. Gathered-end hammocks are usually 10 or 11 feet long, with the longer type giving a flatter lay. Another choice is single or double layer. Single-layer are lighter. Double-layer are heavier and stronger, and you can slide a pad (like a yoga mat) between the layers to add to the insulation value. Hammock manufacturers usually give guidance regarding how much weight a particular fabric can support. For example, 1.1 oz ripstop nylon hammocks are usually rated for up to 200 pounds. You also have the choice of a hammock with an integrated bugnet, or a simple "naked" hammock which you then pair with a separate bugnet.

For the suspension you also have choices. A popular one is a combination of tree straps to protect the tree, a toggle (i.e. a 3-4 inch piece of aluminum arrow shaft), and Amsteel whoopie slings (a type of adjustable line made of a very light and strong material). There are other choices but I am not familiar with them. Hammock vendors will usually include at least part of the suspension and will let you select a type when you order a hammock.

For the tarp the main choices are in material (silnylon vs. cuben fiber), shape (rectangular, hex, catenary curves), size, and whether they include 'doors' (extra lengths of fabric that fold over the ends of the tarp to form a more protected enclosure). Cuben fiber is the most advanced and lightest fabric but it is 2-3 times more expensive than silnylon. It is also translucent, which means that it will not give as much shade during the day. Many people don't mind since they only use the tarp at night.

For the top quilt (TQ) you have a choice of length and width, synthetic-fill versus down-fill, and perhaps most importantly, the temperature range. For example, in hot weather you will be most comfortable with, say, a forty-degree quilt, while in very cold areas you may need a zero-degree quilt. The lower the temperature rating, the more filling the quilt will have, and therefore the heavier and bulkier it will be. In your case, you may need two thinner quilts that you may then stack together on cold weather.

For the under quilt (UQ), you have similar choices to the top quilt, plus the choice of making it full-length or partial-length. The full-length will provide more complete coverage, while the partial-length will weight less and pack smaller.

Here's a partial list of cottage vendors where you may find some or all of the above:

- arrowhead-equipment.com
    - buttinasling.com
    - junglehammock.com
    - dream-hammock.com
    - dutchweargear.com
    - enlightenedequipment.com
    - hammockgear.com
    - readystrap.com
    - undergroundquilts.com
    - warbonnetoutdoors.com
    - wildernesslogics.com
    Last edited by Gravity; 09-21-2013 at 10:03.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    There is a lot of information here.
    2 things that can really help get you 'caught up' on a lot of the details -
    Shug's video series
    The-Ultimate-Hang-Illustrated

Jason

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotnext View Post
    Hi
    >snip< [/U]Arctic to Antarctic in 2014/2015. For the first time weight while being important, is not as critical as it was with back packing so I am looking for durability, versatility and "packability" rather than simply light weight.

Just checked your location so changing some things...

Start by making or buying a simple hammock and see if you can get comfortable. 4 yards of 1.9 oz or equivalent sport nylon, 20 ft of any good polyester rope with a breaking strength over 1000 lbs and some utility cord will get you hanging. Use one of the no sew methods to make a hammock. Make a ridge line out of utility cord and pitch so it has a little tension on it. If you can get comfortable in that you are on the right track. You also now have as maintainable a hammock as one can get for probably less than $30 here if you can find a coupon for the nylon. ;-)

Try back sleeping as well as trying to get flat. A lot of folks report they are comfortable on their backs in a hammock but not in a bed.

If that works look at getting a commercial double layer hammock. The second layer lets you insert a thin closed cell foam pad. (1/8-1/4 in) Two layers will defeat most biting bugs. Add the CCF for warmer weather insulation and doubles as a sit pad and ground insulation but is poor padding. Try the flooring industry for the foam as it is used as a sound barrier. You want a big enough piece to wrap up the sides past your shoulders and long enough to do at least shoulders to past your knees. ;-)

Use a separate bug net. Half the time you will not need it. There are versions with no zippers. Zippers break.

Over covers are nice if you are going to be in really cold weather or continuous rain. I'm not sure what your plans are for several days of bad weather. I would be packing a large winter type tarp. Room for the bike in porch mode and doors to block the rain. Conversely with a bike cover you can go to porch mode and use the bike as a wall. Combined with a small stool and you can almost get comfortable out of the hammock. Put a clip board on the stool and you have a table. ;-)

FWIW - there have been threads around the internet about doing a screen room type bug net. Basically one sits on the ground under their furled hammock. I recall one PCT hiker who had one. Think about it. It can let you cook and eat in relative peace in really buggy places. The tradeoff is a bit of bulk and weight.

For colder parts of the trip take a bottom quilt to use with the CCF pad. You will always want a top quilt. Do not buy the lightest thing out there as it will also be the weakest under heavy use. I'd go synthetic so that when I got a hole in it I would not lose my down. YMMV.

Pick colors darker browns and greens and you will be fairly stealthy but won't look like Rambo. Avoid black for the same reason. Add something bright and maybe something reflective so you can find your hammock in the dark. I'd also suggest a hi viz green or similar jacket, vest or poncho for when you do want to be seen. Really anything you can hang out.

For suspension I'd go with straps and Dutch clips or climbing rated carabiners. Nothing to leave behind. Easy use or replace. Buckles form a water break at the hammock end.

Get a basic system going and get some time in the hammock. You will learn a lot in a few overnights. Then you can start making informed decisions.
    Last edited by nothermark; 09-21-2013 at 09:48. Reason: noticed he was in S Africa
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    Another thing to think about on a trip like this is having to go to ground. So ensuring your hammock can do this reasonably easy and still be comfortable. I am guessing you are coming through Australia at some stage and you will be mad not to go through the middle - there will be times when trees are not close enough to hang or just not there in the desert country.

This is one reason I got the Switchback Light Hiker. It sets up really easy on the ground partly due to the tie outs on the bug netting.

I set it up quickly today to show you what i mean.

The sides can also be staked out wider for more room.

There are others that can do this also I guess but I don't own them.

Sounds like a great trip.

Hi Everyone

Thanks to you all! I really appreciate the effort taken to help out the noobie.

A lot of great, detailed "info" from everyone. I really like the idea of a cheap test hang but dont want to be put off a "good thing" by a cheap or badly designed /executed tester? I have also considered the need to go to ground when there is nothing to hang from. I plan to be in the cold parts during the warmer times but its seems impossible to miss out on temps down to about -5 to -10 F at short stages of the trip. I have bought a American army sleeping system - 2 sleeping bags (synthetic) plus gortex bivy which (supposedly) sleeps down to -20F or lower (at a push), anyone who can advise on these? Have been thinking of using them as UC and TC but they may not be warm enough seperately and will need a diy plan to keep the UC hanging under the hammock? The CCF base pad in a two layer hammock could be used together with these when having to go to ground and colder temps? I have aslo checked out some of Shugs videos. Good info there.

I read somewhere that the quality of sylnylon is not what it used to be and can tear easily with prolonged use, any truth in this? I was thinking of a large Hex tarp for bike and work space area using PU coated Ripstop. Hennessy have something with "door panels" Gravitino did mention this, I think its called the typhoon tarp. This may also help a little with temperature control in the "hammock environment" but I am not sure. Cuben fibre is something I have no knowledge about but sounds like its out of the "bed budget" (looking at between 250 to 350 US dollars max). Suspension....... whats the most relible, adjustable and simple system while still giving good tree protection?

I have no problem sleeping on my back which is generally how i wake up anyway most mornings so that needs little adaptation. Separate vs intergrated bugnet is still a problem for me. Intergrated seems the most functional but zips do break, what are the quality of the zips on the Hennessy and Warbonnet hammocks like? I would have thought a seperate bug net will be more difficult to get set up and get rid of trapped bugs or is this not the case? It seems as if it might be best to take the good "bits" from a variety of manufactureres and intergrated them into a combination system? Are they generally interchangeable?

Thanks again for all the assistance, keep the information flowing and hang in comfort.

• + New Posts