Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy.

No cupholders yet, but if you put your drink in one of those special Platypus bladders it will sit in the shelf well enough.
    I hang a coffee sling from REI from my ridgeline sometimes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

didn't ask me, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
    DeShazo,

I saw you use a landau pad. How wide is the pad? What about the weight?
    I bought my landau pad on ebay (in the motors section - landau is roof padding)... it is 40x60 and weighs less than 8 ozs. I fold it in half and roll it up.

Hammock
    Dual Layer 1.7 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Landau 3/16" pad
    Images
    I bought the 3/16 off of ebay motors. I trimmed it down to 26" x 60" . I have not weighed it yet. I have only tested it out in the yard. It was about 39 degrees the night I tried it out in the Blackbird. No under quilt or over quilt, just the pad and I was in my North Face Blue Kazoo bag. I was toasty warm. I was sleeping in a pair of shorts, socks, and an Under Armor long sleeve shirt.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Eldorado, Congrads on the BB.
    What is the maximum size pad (width x length x thickness) that will fit in the pad sleeve of the BB double layer hammocks? Rectangular shape?
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird & Claytor Exped
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    GG Thinlight
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Eldorado, Congrads on the BB.
    What is the maximum size pad (width x length x thickness) that will fit in the pad sleeve of the BB double layer hammocks? Rectangular shape?
    With a 40" wide pad, I still had some more room. I believe the pad pocket equals the full width of the hammock. I use a 1/4" pad and when inserting it I could stick my head and arms into the pocket so there is a lot of room. Some users would like the pocket to be smaller to avoid the pad moving around but I like the large pad pocket because I use an oversized pad and so far with limited use have not had problems with the pad shifting. In just about 11 days, I will be using it for a week on the AT, so I can see if I encounter problems with the pad shifting at night.

Originally, my pad was rectangular but I trimmed the corners so it would fit in my Claytor Exped's pad pocket. It was probably trimmed smaller than would be necessary for the Blackbird.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    GG Thinlight
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I bought my landau pad on ebay (in the motors section - landau is roof padding)... it is 40x60 and weighs less than 8 ozs. I fold it in half and roll it up.
    Did you trim the corners or does the full rectangular pad fit in the pocket? I had trimmed my 40"X60" Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad to fit my first hammock, but I don't think that is probably necessary with the BB.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    GG Thinlight
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeShazo View Post
    I bought the 3/16 off of ebay motors. I trimmed it down to 26" x 60" . I have not weighed it yet. I have only tested it out in the yard. It was about 39 degrees the night I tried it out in the Blackbird. No under quilt or over quilt, just the pad and I was in my North Face Blue Kazoo bag. I was toasty warm. I was sleeping in a pair of shorts, socks, and an Under Armor long sleeve shirt.
    Back in January when it was cold as gets here in South Texas, the tile floor in our house was very cold to my bare feet. To test the insulation value of my 1/4" ccf pad, I placed it on the tile floor and then stepped onto the pad with my bare feet. When I did so, I was amazed that the pad not only provided insulation to the bottom of my feet but it actually seemed to be generating heat. I did the same thing with my Therma-Rest Prolite full length insulated pad. Of course, it kept my feet from contacting the floor but it didn't appear to be generating any heat. Does that make any sense?

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    GG Thinlight
    Images
    koalha05, I see that you use a Mt Wash UQ. Does it fit well with the BB? What has been your lowest temperature while using the Mt Wash? What's the warmest temp when you used it and was it too warm?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
    koalha05, I see that you use a Mt Wash UQ. Does it fit well with the BB? What has been your lowest temperature while using the Mt Wash? What's the warmest temp when you used it and was it too warm?
    Works real nice on the BB. I bias the JRB suspension a bit and maybe a bit too tight so the quilt when I climb in shifts to the right sometimes at the head end. Seems to keep the foot end well positioned. When it does shift just reach out while laying in the BB and pull it back into position. Stays put. Coldest night have been relatively calm low 20*F. Use the Nest as a top quilt. If I remember the hood I'm real warm in just a base layer of PowerDry. I'm a cold sleeper. With some loosening of the head and foot ends to allow a bit of heat to escape the warmest night used have been in the 40*F. Nest on top. Start sleeping without the nest but end up pulling it up over during the night. MWUQ is a bit overkill for my needs. It's really a winter (sub-freezing nights) quilt. Thinking about the 3 season JRB differential cut coming soon.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    GG Thinlight
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Works real nice on the BB. I bias the JRB suspension a bit and maybe a bit too tight so the quilt when I climb in shifts to the right sometimes at the head end. Seems to keep the foot end well positioned. When it does shift just reach out while laying in the BB and pull it back into position. Stays put. Coldest night have been relatively calm low 20*F. Use the Nest as a top quilt. If I remember the hood I'm real warm in just a base layer of PowerDry. I'm a cold sleeper. With some loosening of the head and foot ends to allow a bit of heat to escape the warmest night used have been in the 40*F. Nest on top. Start sleeping without the nest but end up pulling it up over during the night. MWUQ is a bit overkill for my needs. It's really a winter (sub-freezing nights) quilt. Thinking about the 3 season JRB differential cut coming soon.
    Back in January, I looked at buying a MWUQ but since I'm a warm sleeper I thought it would be too hot for me. Typically, I camp in 20-40 degree weather during January & February. Otherwise, the temps are over 40. Also looked at the Speer Snug-Fit UQ because the temp rating was not as low as the MWUQ. BUT I decided to buy my BB instead of an UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12