Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    So I just finished my 46" length underquilt yesterday, with channels on the sides and no channels on the ends, and hung it on a DIY bridge hammock. As I had hoped with the design, the short ends come up flush with the bottom so there is no need to tighten things up there.

The cord at the head and foot of full length UQ for gathered end hammocks is there because the hammock is narrower at the head and foot. Ain't so with a bridge, and 'ain't necessarily so with a short UQ. I've not tried my new UQ on a gathered end hammock yet though, so don't know whether I'd need head/foot channels for that. If I did, I would make it from the side channel suspension so that it is independently adjustable. The side channel cord is the very same as is holding up the UQ, which lets you move the UQ up and down the hammock while you're in it to get to the right place. Insight due to WBG. Thx WBG!

Grizz

Sounds great. So you make the suspension of the UQ tight enough to hold it tight against you. And friction holds that UQ in place with no cord locks on the quilt at all. If you bought a camera you could take pictures of it and post them. Cameras are pretty good these days...you don't even have to buy film or anything.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    the sc is pretty strong stuff, it provides quite a bit of tension, but only when pulled fairly tight, i use it alot tighter than i ever did before, keeps the uq from moving around as much, the looser it is, the more of a tendency it has to slide toward center, away from your left shoulder, but with it tighter it stays put better.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    If you bought a camera you could take pictures of it and post them. Cameras are pretty good these days...you don't even have to buy film or anything.
    yeah but with all the material and gear that HF helps me rationalize buying, I'm too broke to buy anything else. Not to mention having a kid in college.

buddy can you spare a dime?

Grizz

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    That's really good! Just how diagonal is that and roughly where on the sides does that cord emerge (e.g, 1/3 down from the head and 1/3 up from the feet..) I wouldn't think it was from opposing corners...or is it?
    Grizz
    Your right there Kreskin ... roughly a 1/3rd. 18" to 20" from head and feet. I have never had a cold spot!!!!! In the picture it looks puffed up but this is the inside ... the side against the hammock showing....
    full uq.jpg
    Shug of Straps
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Thanks for all the replies! I would have clairified sooner but I just woke up. The "channel " I was reffering to is along the length/long side of the UQ. I already planned on putting one on the ends to close it up.

Thanks Again!

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Channnels are the better way to go.

I tried to convert a poncho (part of the Insultex thread) by just putting in tabs. I had 5 tabs along the at the ends and 4 along the long sides of the rectangular poncho. Compared to the complete channels on the KAQ, what I did was completely inferior. My observation is that the channels provide more consistent support for the quilt, which means a closer fit and fewer gaps between the hammock and the quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12