Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where am I going wrong

I'm new to hammocking and this is what I'm considering as a buy. Please provide a critical critique and tell me what's wrong or what I could do better. I'm 6"1"+, 177 lbs, priorities are 1) sleep well 2) keep weight down 3) cost (within reason). Any and all input is appreciated. This is what I'm considering:

Hammock - Warbonnet Traveler 1.1 double. I dont do much warm weather hiking and am thinking I could make a bug net if I need one. Also keeps weight and cost down, first choice was the Blackbird.

Tarp - Warbonnet Edge, I am concerned that it may not be large enough to keep me dry. First choice was a cuben tarp but dont know if it's worth the cost. I may look back on this as a bad decision?

Underquilt - Wilderness Logics 3/4. I want to sleep warm so I'm affraid I may regret not getting a full length. I'm planning to use the sit pad I carry under the feet and maybe use some of the huggie material I have under the feet.

Top quilt - I have an REI 700 down bag that weighs 2lb-3oz after I added 4 oz of down to get it warm into the teens. I am planning to convert it to a top quilt and I'm assuming I can get the weight down to about 28 oz.

This set up would get me to a weight of 4.8 lb, exactly what my tent set up weighs. Thanks for your help.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    At your weight you don't need the double. I weigh 10+ lbs more than you any given day, and my single 1.1 is fine for me. 11ft with dynaglide ucr's and zing-it ridgeline weighs 9.8oz in bishop bag. 9.27oz without the bag.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    In case u don't know, there is an AL/MS hang weekend of Oct 18-19 and the following weekend the TN (Oct 25 w'end) at Merriwether Lewis CG on the Natchez trace.

You might want to tent camp and try out different hammocks before spending the $$$. I'm taking a Switchback Classic/Original. Good to look at the different tarps also.

If you sign up and sound wistful.....someone might even lend you a hammock.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=78573&page=4

Here's the TN one

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77521
    Last edited by sandykayak; 09-22-2013 at 12:45. Reason: Add link

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm new to hammocking and this is what I'm considering as a buy. Please provide a critical critique and tell me what's wrong or what I could do better. I'm 6"1"+, 177 lbs, priorities are 1) sleep well 2) keep weight down 3) cost (within reason). Any and all input is appreciated.
    EDIT: Excellent advice from Sandykayak!
    I'm also new to hammock camping - a few nights 'out there', a couple in the back yard.

A few thoughts:
    I don't understand the focus on 'ultra-light' everything here at HF. At 6'1"/177# you should be reasonably fit. Will an extra pound or two be a problem?
    A double layer hammock will help keep the bugs from biting through, and will give you some margin if you roll on your bag zipper or forget your keys in your pocket some day. It also give you the option of putting a pad between the layers in some designs, I think.
    Is cutting up your sleeping bag (rendering it less-useful for sleeping on the ground) really worth a few ounces?
    Is getting wet in a blowing rain worth saving a few ounces with a small tarp?

You don't say if you've ever slept through the night in a hammock. I'd advise starting with the hammock (only) and make sure it is the style (vs bridge or Ergo) that you want. Then buy all the other parts to match.
    Last edited by VictoriaGuy; 09-23-2013 at 15:52.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The traveller is only a 10' hammock. At your height, I'd think you'd be much more comfortable in an 11'.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    The traveller is only a 10' hammock. At your height, I'd think you'd be much more comfortable in an 11'.

I agree , i am 6 ft 2 And a ten footer is too small for overnight sleeping, imo go with an 11 footer.
    Have you looked at the dream hammocks yet?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I would suggest the WL Lite Owl DB 1.1
    I have a traveller but prefer the Lite Owl for over night.
    Its 11', more comfortable , if you day hike and set up your hammock you can slip a windshield reflector, the foam backed kind , in-between the layers,and that will keep you warm for a little rest or nap without having to take an UQ .
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    i would go 11 ft. im 6-3 and is perfect. go with the dbl as you could use a pad in 3 seasons and still have option for shelters and huts.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    In case u don't know, there is an AL/MS hang weekend of Oct 18-19 and the following weekend the TN (Oct 25 w'end) at Merriwether Lewis CG on the Natchez trace.

You might want to tent camp and try out different hammocks before spending the $$$. I'm taking a Switchback Classic/Original. Good to look at the different tarps also.

If you sign up and sound wistful.....someone might even lend you a hammock.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=78573&page=4

Here's the TN one

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77521
    I'd love to but I'll be on the AT from 10/6 to 11/1.

Quote Originally Posted by Saedy View Post
    I agree , i am 6 ft 2 And a ten footer is too small for overnight sleeping, imo go with an 11 footer.
    Have you looked at the dream hammocks yet?
    I have looked at the Dream Hammock, looks good but a little pricey but not a show stopper, do like the removable net and cover. From what I've read on this site it seams the Warbonnet Blackbird is the BMW of the hammock world...BTW, I drive a truck. Saw some of Xtrekers videos and considering having the sewing machine repaired and look into DIY...thanks Xtreker, good stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast