Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

Hennessy told me this was a bad idea

I've used the standard Hennessy Super Shelter, incl the underpad, for about 300 nights of hanging here in the north country (MI).

I was also thinking of getting the newer silvered bubble pad to use in conjunction with my existing setup -- for better insulation. Note that I use an Explorer Deluxe Asym Classic.

When I called up Hennessy to ask them whether this is a good idea (I think it was last year some time -- 2012), the guy on the phone I spoke with recommended against using the two systems at the same time. He kept saying that they are two different systems -- each is good in and of itself -- but their official recommendation was against using them both at the same time. This didn't make sense to me, but I took their advice, just the same.

I've upgraded to an Arrowhead Potomac UQ. I've only used it two nights so far. It seems to work well. My strategy is to mostly use the UQ (i.e., not the underpad). For maximum warmth on the coldest nights, I intend to use the UQ in addition to the underpad. I haven't yet tried using the space blanket in addition to the UQ, but that should improve warmth as well.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Ive used the bubble pad with a poncho liner and 0 degree bag and slept very comfortable down to 23 degrees F. I have the expedition zip and it does have the hooks for the pad on the inside. It did take me a mintue to get settled in but after that I didn't have any trouble with it sliding around. I plan on using the same system in December...I will say, I'm always willing to try and looking for new ideas.

Hammock
    chameleon 1.6
    Insulation
    loco libre
    Suspension
    straps, beetles.

bubble moisture?

Quote Originally Posted by WVdave107 View Post
    Ive used the bubble pad with a poncho liner and 0 degree bag and slept very comfortable down to 23 degrees F. I have the expedition zip and it does have the hooks for the pad on the inside. It did take me a mintue to get settled in but after that I didn't have any trouble with it sliding around. I plan on using the same system in December...I will say, I'm always willing to try and looking for new ideas.
    was there much condensation with this pad?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    I've been happy with the super shelter and the space blanket down in to the 50's. I can feel the heat being reflected back. With winter coming I'm packing a spare down quilt. I haven't had an issue with condensation yet. I'm more concerned about condensation if I pull the Rainfly down close.

I was debating the bubble pad and greatly appreciate the discussion here.

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    I'm with dc125 and altruist guy/HH on this one. I'm in a HH Exped Zip with SS now at 43 degrees. (Gear testing for my 13 year old/cold-natured son). First, I set up with undercover and OCF pad with a Radiant Bubble between hammock and OCF--> NOT good enough! I thought the radiant bubble pad would substitute better for the reflectix, but NOT so. When I removed the radiant bubble pad altogether and put the reflectix between hammock and OCF underpad, it made all the difference. Only then could I feel the sort of bounce back body heat that I needed. I think that reflectix works better, as it sort of crinkles up, making more dead air space, fills the gap better, gives wider coverage, and is lighter, so it does not push/keep OCF layer away from hammock like bubble pad does. I really think radiant bubble should only be used in place of a CCF pad or thermarest Insidee hammock OR perhaps between layers of a double layer WBBB, But I haven't tried this yet. There is no doubt for me that radiant bubble actually produces cool gap when placed between hammock and OCF pad in super shelter -not good. Now that I have it set up with just hammock/reflectix/OCF/outer shell, it is working well.
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

I have the radiant double bubble pad as well as the SS. I'm going to do some experiments with different setups.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJackJim View Post
    I'm with dc125 and altruist guy/HH on this one. I'm in a HH Exped Zip with SS now at 43 degrees. (Gear testing for my 13 year old/cold-natured son). First, I set up with undercover and OCF pad with a Radiant Bubble between hammock and OCF--> NOT good enough! I thought the radiant bubble pad would substitute better for the reflectix, but NOT so. When I removed the radiant bubble pad altogether and put the reflectix between hammock and OCF underpad, it made all the difference. Only then could I feel the sort of bounce back body heat that I needed. I think that reflectix works better, as it sort of crinkles up, making more dead air space, fills the gap better, gives wider coverage, and is lighter, so it does not push/keep OCF layer away from hammock like bubble pad does. I really think radiant bubble should only be used in place of a CCF pad or thermarest Insidee hammock OR perhaps between layers of a double layer WBBB, But I haven't tried this yet. There is no doubt for me that radiant bubble actually produces cool gap when placed between hammock and OCF pad in super shelter -not good. Now that I have it set up with just hammock/reflectix/OCF/outer shell, it is working well.
    When you say "I think that reflectix works better", do you mean actual reflectix like some folks use for pads or pot cozys, or are you using the HH recommended space blankets? Something like this or even the cheaper, noiser WM version:
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...y-blanket.html

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraine View Post
    I have the radiant double bubble pad as well as the SS. I'm going to do some experiments with different setups.
    Welcome to the world of hammocks and Super Shelters, hope yours works for you as well as it does for many of us!

Don't forget to use the space blanket on top of the HHSS OCF pad, as recommended by HH. It is absolutely part of the system's design, and makes a big difference for most ( not all) successful HHSS users. I only say this because many folks, for unknown reasons, are really resistant to add this cheap, light part of the system as recommended by the system's manufacturer.

The cheapest WM version will work, but this one is quieter and more durable:
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...y-blanket.html

Use the very light ( 2 - 3 oz) space blankets, a heavy one might interfere with HH OCF pad function.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Are you already using a ~2 oz space blanket on top of your HHSS OCF pad? If not, then it seems like it should perform some of the benefits of the space blanket: vapor barrier and reflector, but don't know if it will do as well. But it will provide some extra insulation compared to the space B. As long as it does not interfere with the HHSS pad wrapping around your shoulders and over all fit. I've always wanted to, but never have, wanted to try adding this pad to the HHSS. It was designed to go into the pad pocket of a HH DJ, which also has thingies built in to tie it too so it won't move around. Don't know if the tie downs are present in your Explorer, so it might not stay put inside of, rather than under, the hammock.
    BillyBob58

I own a Radiant Double Bubble Pad XL. The problem is it does not fit well in my Explorer nor my other three HH. I chase it around all night. It has ties however, there is nothing in my hammocks to attach the ties to, it only seems to fit well into the deep jungle hammock. I have had it for 18 months tried it four or five times. Each time I climbed out, removed it. I do not like chasing stuff around, I want to sleep, not chase gear. Maybe I expect too much or maybe it is because I am short. I don't know, I just know it does not work for me.

I have a SS and I have added a little extra to the shell on it, to help with warmth, worked great. I have found the space blanket used the way Hennessy suggests to work very well and you can add a little extra light weight padding. I am not sure how low of a temp I have used the system but I have awoke to dry snow, so fairly cool conditions.

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    What I meant by reflectix above is a space blanket -that super thin crackly Mylar stuff. One came with the super shelter set up. Not sure that Hennessey included one in past, but it works very well between OCF pad and hammock. Noisy while setting up, but not a problem at DL, once you get in.

The bubble pad seems to really be made to go inside hammock, like you would use a Wally pad or thermarest. Nice part is that it has some anchors to keep it in place.
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast