WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hmmm, a little of both I guess. I have done some 20 minute walks a few miles from my house just so I can get out and hang but most of my trips have a destination in mind and the hammock is the end reward.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hybrid/varies
    I previously claimed to be a hammock hiker. Since, I have taken up sleeping in a hammock full-time (about 9 months now). My back loves it. Add to that the fact that my last name is actually Hammock. I guess now I'm a generic "hammock sleeper".
    "Every human being holds something holy. We can all have some respect for that." - Omar Marzouk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    I say both, depending on my situation. I like to do both some weeks you just don't have the time for a overnighter.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    My mindset it that the working world is always in a rush, so when I'm in the woods away from all the noise of city life, I want to forget about all that stuff and really disconnect from all of it, and get back in the timing of nature. Forget about a watch, the time that matters is where I'm at and how I feel there, and when I have had my fill it is off to the next spot. But if you only have a small window to grind out a bucket list adventure, crank it out check off that goal. It's all good.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Depends on the trip. If it's a solo trip, I'm a hiker. I like to see views when I hike, and in my mind the best way to do that is to hike. For me camp is just a chance to eat a good meal and recharge for another big day. However if I'm with my friends, then I like to slow it down, take more breaks, and sit around in camp a little longer. On those trips it's more about hanging out with people I don't get to see too often anymore.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylanc95 View Post
    Depends on the trip. If it's a solo trip, I'm a hiker. I like to see views when I hike, and in my mind the best way to do that is to hike. For me camp is just a chance to eat a good meal and recharge for another big day. However if I'm with my friends, then I like to slow it down, take more breaks, and sit around in camp a little longer. On those trips it's more about hanging out with people I don't get to see too often anymore.
    I need to slow down when I hike and enjoy the views. Often I'll get to a spot that looks nice, so I'll set up. When I'm all done and look at my watch that says "1:52PM" I think, oh crap...now what? I can burn time, but burning upward of 8 hours can be tough when solo.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I need to slow down when I hike and enjoy the views. Often I'll get to a spot that looks nice, so I'll set up. When I'm all done and look at my watch that says "1:52PM" I think, oh crap...now what? I can burn time, but burning upward of 8 hours can be tough when solo.
    I know what you mean about burning time. Once the food is cooked and eaten there's usually nothing to do but stare at trees.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylanc95 View Post
    I know what you mean about burning time. Once the food is cooked and eaten there's usually nothing to do but stare at trees.
    Yeah, 30 minutes of that, 30 minutes collecting wood, an hour or so by the fire. I don't read since I can do that any other time at home, anywhere.

But when the weather is fair, maybe 65°, I can relax in my hammock for a long time doing nothing.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I'm a hammock hiker when solo and with certain other hikers who like to crank out the miles. With other buddies it's more about the downtime and camaraderie. I like to read to pass the time, and I'm usually up earlier than everyone else but I can't read for hours like I used to - I get antsy and want to move around. When I'm hiking my gear is light as possible, when camping I'm usually carrying beer and food to share. I love both.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    A hiker at heart but a car camper by knees. My knees no longer allow me the enjoyment of hiking long distances. As a kid I was a long distance runner. Today I am a short distance fridge visitor. Generally I will probably hike about a mile to a site and make it a base camp. Then each day take a walk around and see nature at its best.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast