Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I've always enjoyed the bush .Now that I have a hammock or two I enjoy sleeping there . Ground camping left me too sleep deprived to enjoy anything . Can't cover too much trail any more but really if you get off the marked trails you can find a lot of privacy pretty close to the trailhead .

Images

Wisdom from down under

As a friend of mine from Australia once responded to a similar question: "It depends on where your head's at, mate."
    As obvious from the other responses to your question, it's just a matter of what you want out of the trip. As long as I'm away from the city, the crowds, the noise - I'm a happy man. If I'm hangin' - even happier. If there's a rise ahead and I want to know what's on the other side, I keep on keepin' on. If there's a nice shady spot by a brook, I might be there for days. Here in SoCal it's getting harder and harder to find those quiet moments without the mobs so just enjoy it when you find it.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Never been a big walker so I find the whole UL so I can pound out miles as rather silly. Body has deteriorated to where car camping is usually with the portable cabin. Mostly canoe camp but have gotten enough out of shape that it slowed down a bit. I hope to be back up do doing serious miles by next spring.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    If I want to cover miles then I'll use something with a motor on it. Myself, walking/hiking is about the journey and not the destination. My pace is always broken by the wonders of the natural world and if I go too fast I miss something splendid. Most times, I will hike until I find a place that feels just right and hang up for the night. It may be 7PM or 2PM when I stop- 2 miles or 12, doesn't much matter. The place is more important than the race is my motto! HYOH

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Depends on the destination

My goal is normally to explore new areas. If I can do that from my Jeep, then I car camp. If I have to hike 100 miles/week, then I do that.

Lately I've found myself doing more base camping, where I'll drive to a nice camp area, hike all day, then return to base and pop a cold beer from the cooler. Pretty tough to beat an ice cold beer around the campfire. Also, here in AZ it is quite common to have to dry camp on overnights, and I am getting tired of lugging 10+ lbs of water in my pack for an overnight.

Lots of good perspectives in this thread - quite a mix of people who just want to sleep under the stars, experience nature, get fresh air and exercise, etc.

Hammocks are certainly not just for backpacking. Decide what *you* want to experience, use them as a means to your goals and don't worry what other people use them for.

--Kurt

Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY
    Tarp
    big daddy
    Insulation
    pad/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps/whoopie
    Hang after riding the motorcycle all day. Good nights sleep. Hike for a bit, hang for the night. Hike around hang some more. Rested relaxed and tired. Hike back to the bike. Ride for a bit then hang. Its all good. Can't cover the miles hiking like I used to do,more of a walk. Just have to get out. "It cleanses the soul and frees the mind"
    Last edited by Taser; 10-09-2013 at 06:37.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Lots of good perspectives in this thread - quite a mix of people who just want to sleep under the stars, experience nature, get fresh air and exercise, etc.
    Couldn't have said that better myself. I have really enjoyed reading other people's ideas and am surprised by the diversity. Thanks to ALL who have posted! Keep 'em coming!
    What a great forum!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba & HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Motorcycle traveler here. In the old economy we stayed in motels/hotels. Now camping allows the same outings. All of my camping gear was thirty years old and I fell upon this site. So now I am getting new gear and all of it aimed at hanging. Went up to rural British Columbia this summer for three weeks and hung most of the time. It was a great trip! I am so glad to be in a hammock instead of crawling into a te**.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have to admit that I caught the UL bug and am working to make my hammock kit as light and comfortable as possible, so that I can hike the distance with relative ease. Having said that, once I do set up, I find myself spending a lot of time up in the air!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Now that I think on it, I think I prefer the term "Hammocker": being one who utilizes hammocks in the pursuit of comfort while enjoying the Great Outdoors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast