Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    I'm a bicycle camper, canoe camper and a car camper. After all these decades, I'm branching out into backpacking when my ULA catalyst arrives and this winter I expect to be pulling a pulk across frozen Adirondack lakes this winter. Been putting it off for too long.

Wayne

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    I am a hammock backpacker, and when my family goes out together I am a Hammock camper, and they sleep in the two person tent, since the boy has grown to be almost my size, we can't all fit anymore. When I can borrow another tarp, my son is a hammock camper and backpacker, too. We have a hammock hung right outside the house so anyone can hang out whenever they want to. Having a hammock outside the house has been a great way to introduce friends who are over visiting into the world of hammocks.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    So far I'm a hammock camper, but I plan on doing some hammock hiking soon. I hang in the backyard quite a bit. One thing I have come to realize, is that if you want to do both hammock camping and hammock hiking in all 4 seasons, ideally you will want both a 4 season hammock setup AND an UL hammock setup. No one said hammock hanging is an inexpensive hobby, but HYOH! It can be done cheaply with DIY hammocks or $1,000 and up for multiple temp rated quilts and collecting several different types of hammocks.
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 12-01-2017 at 09:07.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I do a little bit of everything, but mostly hammock camp/motorcycle camp. Probably another 40% of the time hammock hike, and just depends on how far I want to hike. My hiking trips most often involve fishing, so sometimes it is spending a day or two at a base camp, sometimes moving on, depends on how good the fishing is.

I also hang full-time at home, so I guess that's 'camping'.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images

Hammock Camper or Hammock Hiker?

I bought my first Hammock while doing a 600 mile section of the AT. As A bunch of us were taking a shuttle to Damascus for Trail Days, I joked about how there isn’t a single piece of flat tentsite on the **** AT. And that if a hammock vendor was at Trail Days, I was gonna have a hard time holding on to my cash. Well, Hennessy was there offering a yuge discount. Dutch was right next door, and Jacks R Better was beside them. Between the three, I got very nicely set up. I mailed my tent home. I completed that, and three more long sections, rocking constantly tweaked versions of that same rig.

L.Dog
    www.laughingdog.com
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have more camping experience than hiking experience-looking to change that.I enjoy the hike and also ending the day with the hang.
    No more tents!Finding just the right spot is always a challenge though.......and then getting it dialed in when exhaustion is kicking in but few things in life beat crashing in a hammock,unless you actually crash!

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    My mindset, so far, on this is pretty simple. I go out to experience the wilderness. If that means hiking long distances to see as much of it as I can, great. If it means hiking slow and short distances, taking the time to soak every inch of it in, then sitting around camp enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells, great. If it means a short hike to a specific destination and then spending a couple days there (fishing), great.

I don't really care, as long as I'm in the woods. Whether I hike far and fast (for me) and end up with bloody feet and a bum knee, or I take a leisurely walk through the forest, it doesn't matter. I always return healed.
    I'm with Kyle, I hike to relax and distress! It doesn't matter the length of time whether it's a overnight or a week it's about getting out there and enjoying yourself and nature!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Little of both, however, when hiking I know I can find a hammock spot. If going camping with others, that doesn't always work out real well.

Its not that its harder to find hammock spots, rather its harder for tenters to find good spots so that they often camp in very specific locations where they know good flat spots are available. That typically makes these spots overused with a lack of good medium-sized trees. Or on balds.

For hiking, I find the modularity of the hammock packs better, I find the weight equivalent or better to a tent, and I can literally roll (and spin) out of bed and stand up without immediately reaching for my vitamin I.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Just get out there... Not everyone is 25 mile a day trail blazers... And not everyone enjoys staying at the same place three days in a row... But hey we are all out in the woods to have some fun... Hang your own hang, hike your own hike... Just get airborne...
    Chairborne, my Brotha!

Kidding aside, I hike as far as my body is able, while trying to avoid injuries like bum knees and bloody/blistered feet. Hammocks give me the comfort in knowing that I will sleep well no matter where I end up, trees permitting. Worst case is I will set up my tarp in ground shelter configuration, et voila, I get the best of both worlds. Also my wife packs a big agnes 2p flycreek if the shite hits the fan weather wise and there are no trees to be found. Get out in the woods and always perform those tick checks!

Holzhacker

Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pravenda View Post
    Sometimes I have to go into the woods. New for me is the opportunity to stay: So I like to do both: Car-camping and hiking around in Switzerland.
    In Italy, Switzerland and Germany free (wild) camping is prohibited, so You have to do some stealthy action or take a public camping side. But beware: in Italy You will be punished for a wild camp with a 300-1000 Euro (better buy another complete set)ticket. And if You go to a public side, You have to talk,talk,talk all about hammocking
    You ought to go to Sweden or the UK, as in those countries, freedom to roam laws allows one to camp anywhere so long as the camp site is not on private property. If any Britons or Swedes care to confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast