Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I prefer to hammock and paddle. Hammocking is a great compliment to canoe camping.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Hammock hiker, here. Anytime I take my family camping, or go on an outing with Boy Scouts, I will hammock. However, my yearning is to hike into the woods and sleep somewhere, out in the middle of nowhere. If I go hiking, I actually feel as though I've been robbed if I can't sleep there overnight. I have literally turned down invites to hike the Presidentials because the plan was to drive there, hike, and come home. I think one of my favorite parts of hiking is waking up in the morning. I use a hammock because it oh-so much more comfortable, and all I need is two trees for a camp site. So, I consider myself as a hiker who hammocks.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I enjoy both hiking and car camping. Car camping is usualy when I go with a group or with family that dont hike. But hiking is my fav.
    TDHanger

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Hennesey Monsoon
    Insulation
    Eno Vulcan
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    most trips: boat in, hammock camp

this weekend: hike & hammock, hike & hammock

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Short backpack overnight hikes (5-15 miles) and some car camping. Like others say, just get out and do it. A Hammock makes it easy to do.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 10-27-2013 at 21:53. Reason: simplify
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Hiker most of the time. After starting backpacking just 6 years ago, I'm still amazed how fun and rewarding it is to carry EVERYTHING you need for the trip on your back. I love it!

I also just completed my first kayaking camp trip, and it sure has its benefits. For once I had a COLD Beam & Coke since I was able to take a small soft cooler.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    Just curious as to how everyone views their style. I had always thought of people who camp with hammocks as UL backpacker types until I started camping in one. Due to some bad knees and back, I'm not able to trek long distances but love spending as many nights as possible hanging. Even if I could go 15 miles in a day not sure if I would since it would cut into my relaxing/cooking/eating time. So for you, is it more about the distance traveled, or just getting to a nice spot and staying for a while?
    Here's my spin. There are two (actually there may be more) reasons for doing this. The first is that I have had a double knee replacement (both at the same time) and it's easier to step down from a hammock then to force myself up from the ground in the morning. Sitting on the ground to have breakfast is a bit hard. I can still luxuriate in the hammock in my sleeping bag while eating.

The next is that if you live in a NYC apartment (and most of you don't) there is another pleasure you don't have. That's setting up the tent and sleeping bag and the other equipment after a trip to dry or air out. This means setting it all up in the living room or hanging in the bathroom to dry. My wife also gets mad since it can all be dirty and muddy. With the hammock I found that it never touches the ground, and it's easier to hang and dry. It also takes up hardly any room while doing this. The weight is about the same as a tent setup, but I still do 15-18 miles a day. And that's with new knees! Have I worn you people out enough on this?

And now to answer you question: I do it for both! The nice spot and the distance. I remember doing about ten miles and seeing the super moon earlier this year. It lit the entire landscape in Harriman Park. Beautiful!!!!!!

You don't always have to cook, you know. And in the Catskills sometimes it seems like you're just sucked in. I sometimes stay a day or more in one spot (don't forget the rules: you can only camp in one spot for three days in the Cats). Now I'm done rambling.
    Last edited by nyhiker50; 10-28-2013 at 09:57.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    I'm a paddling hammocker. Paddle out, camp for the night, next morning, pack up and move on, then set up camp again for the next night. Sometimes though, if we find a really nice beach or island, we'll stay more than one night. There's far too much to see to sit in one place for long. Have only car camped a couple of times with the hammocks.
    I was going to add that we were missing a key group of hammock hangers. My personal preference is to hang at camp to relax after a days activities. Mostly after a day of paddling. Weight is not so much of an issue with canoeists. Well, that is until I find a long and unmaintained portage. I substitute a chair for a hammock finding that I have so many more options to relax than sit in a chair.
    I'm converting from a tent over to a full time hammock camping setup right now (when funding allows). That will allow me to drop the weight of a tent and keep the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanoeJoe View Post
    I was going to add that we were missing a key group of hammock hangers. My personal preference is to hang at camp to relax after a days activities. Mostly after a day of paddling. Weight is not so much of an issue with canoeists. Well, that is until I find a long and unmaintained portage. I substitute a chair for a hammock finding that I have so many more options to relax than sit in a chair.
    I'm converting from a tent over to a full time hammock camping setup right now (when funding allows). That will allow me to drop the weight of a tent and keep the hammock.
    I did my first kayaking-camping trip recently. It was great not worrying so much about weight; I probably had my pack plus another 5-10 lbs for convenience. So much fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast