Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Syrrka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    218

    newest DL crinkle taffeta

    My new-made DL hammock! Really like the colors. I whipped the ends using a zip tie and used a lark headed "Chain Link" (from AHE) to connect the hammock to a marlinspike knot. Simple! Comfy!


    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

  2. #2
    Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Modoc, SC
    Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Posts
    3,808
    Very nice, I like the colors.
    PitaPata Dog tickers

  3. #3
    Senior Member Armor Like Fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ozark Missouri
    Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrrka View Post
    My new-made DL hammock! Really like the colors. I whipped the ends using a zip tie and used a lark headed "Chain Link" (from AHE) to connect the hammock to a marlinspike knot. Simple! Comfy!


    Is it Polly or nylon?
    Paragon Fury

    Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

  4. #4
    Syrrka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    218
    Viper,
    It is poly. Doesn't stretch as far as I can tell. A bit of a pain to sew together because the fabric is a bit slippery, but I think the results are worth it. The fabric came from here:
    Last edited by Syrrka; 09-23-2013 at 16:44.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

  5. #5
    Very nice.

    I really like the feel of the poly crinkle taffeta hammocks. That double looks great though, I need to try one of those.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Armor Like Fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ozark Missouri
    Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Posts
    463
    Oh okay yah I had made a Polly crinkeled taffeta hammock spent six hours on it took forever but looked amazing in my opinion but I didn't like the feeling after trying to sleep in it I couldn't sleep in it very well
    Paragon Fury

    Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

  7. #7
    Syrrka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    218
    I really liked the DL, my sleeping pad didn't slip around as much, (which I found a bit weird, but was grateful for on these colder mornings) and it just felt sturdier. Still under a pound too! The single layer will be better for summer. I made a brown SL too. Tried them both out and liked the DL better for now.

    Each to his own....

    Must Experiment More!!!!! More Fabric and now am learning to splice Amsteel! Woot!
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrrka View Post
    I really liked the DL, my sleeping pad didn't slip around as much, (which I found a bit weird, but was grateful for on these colder mornings) and it just felt sturdier. Still under a pound too! The single layer will be better for summer. I made a brown SL too. Tried them both out and liked the DL better for now.

    Each to his own....

    Must Experiment More!!!!! More Fabric and now am learning to splice Amsteel! Woot!
    The splicing is addictive too

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Douglas, MA
    Posts
    68
    I love this! I'm going to try the same thing. Can you give some more info about how you did it?

    Did you sew the two fabrics together and if so, where exactly did you sew? Did you sew the sides or the tops?

    Did you use grosgrain or fold the fabrics over each other or just sew one on top of the other?

    I was thinking of either sewing one side completely closed or else sewing grosgrain loops onto both pieces up and down both sides so I could use those loops to both hold the two layers together and also attach my pads or sleeping bag between the layers to keep them from moving around.

    Did you shift the bottom layer down a bit from the top layer to allow for a gap between them or are they even?

    Sorry for all the questions, but you've piqued my curiosity. =

  10. #10
    Syrrka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by vanRijn View Post
    I love this! I'm going to try the same thing. Can you give some more info about how you did it?

    Did you sew the two fabrics together and if so, where exactly did you sew? Did you sew the sides or the tops?

    Did you use grosgrain or fold the fabrics over each other or just sew one on top of the other?

    I was thinking of either sewing one side completely closed or else sewing grosgrain loops onto both pieces up and down both sides so I could use those loops to both hold the two layers together and also attach my pads or sleeping bag between the layers to keep them from moving around.

    Did you shift the bottom layer down a bit from the top layer to allow for a gap between them or are they even?

    Sorry for all the questions, but you've piqued my curiosity. =
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it and are going to do your own.

    I did not leave any space between the two layers, I just put right sides together, sewed it almost all the way around, turned it right-side out and top-stitched it, then whipped the ends. Now that I have it, I'm thinking about opening up one side partway to be able to insert a sleeping pad between the layers. Still looking for the best way to do that... like do you use a regular 20 in pad or get an extra wide one, or fasten some together somehow...and how do you keep them underneath you?

    I have a question for you. You said, "...also attach my pads or sleeping bag between the layers..." Why would you put a sleeping bag between the layers?" Would that act like an UQ?

    Have fun with your DL! Be sure to post pics.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Similar Threads

  1. Crinkle Taffeta
    By MDSH in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2014, 20:26
  2. Crinkle Taffeta?
    By Bushwhacker in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-06-2014, 19:31
  3. eBay Crinkle Taffeta
    By Mike5150 in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 22:56
  4. Crinkle Taffeta Hammock
    By body942 in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 21:50
  5. Dyeing Crinkle Taffeta
    By Tanka in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 18:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •