Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I guess I don't understand the Kickstarter mechanism. If I were a bank, i would have an expectation of having my money returned with interest within a reasonable period of time.

Do funds raised through Kickstarter provide for a return on investment? Please enlighten me.

Thanks

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    On Kickstarter, you pledge to fund the project by agreeing to purchase the product. Say Jimmy wants to sell a new apple peeler on kickstarter. He puts out the idea and makes up pledge levels that supporters can put their money towards.

At $1 dollar, Jimmy will send you an beer can coozie with his apple peeler logo on it
    At $10 dollars, Jimmy will send you one of his fancy apple peelers
    At $20 dollars, Jimmy will send you a bag of apples and an apple peeler
    At $30 dollars, Jimmy will send you a tshirt, a bag of apples and an apple peeler
    At $200 dollars, Jimmy will send you special golden engraved apple peeler

All of this is done to raise funding for Jimmy as he starts up his business. Sometimes you can get really good deals through kickstarter, or fund things that you really want to see turned into products. Other times, the project never gets off the ground and the money disappears. Fund at your own risk.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You guys are getting off topic.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    This is not a discussion about kickstarter, its a discussion about the proposed hammock design. Any more off-topic discussion will be deleted.

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    hmmmm.... I guess I don't see how kickstarter is off topic. This is how he chose to go about funding the production of his hammock idea. I would think it would be just as relevant to a discussion as discussing that "Joe Bob's Hammock Company" produces their hammocks in their garage as a cottage business. But, back to the OP topic as construed by the masses.

As for tarps, you could easily run a line from each of the head end trees to a standard tarps head end ridgeline tieout, and rig the foot end as normal. No need to make the V since there will be no swaying and the tarp lines would not be taking the same path as the hammock suspension. Standard door design for the head end would not work.

As for the hammock.... I would be concerned over limited tree options. And while two seperate tie outs for the head end would act as a spreader bar, that would only work well if the tieouts were at sufficient angles away from the head end. If they are too close together, the head end tie outs might tend to sag towards each other.

The pictures on the kickstarter page seem to indicate that the hammock needs to be tautly stretched between trees. His caveat at the end of the page indicates that he thinks he has this worked out so that 250lbs is the max, but he says that he will have private testing done to verify his calculations. If those don't come out like he expects, there could be delays on production.
    Last edited by mad goat; 09-24-2013 at 12:04. Reason: more tarp thoughts

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I for one think it's a pretty great idea. I have a RidgeRunner and that thing is great. The Wedgy seems like a great start, but not really a finished product.

I'm not willing to get rid of my bug net, dual layer, and saddle bags that come with the RR. Those three items are priceless.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12