Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    hehe goonies.
    So mad that movie didnt win an Academy award...
    Back on topic, ive never had any trouble out on the trail, never even crossed my mind actually.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    You see other people where you go??,,,,,,,,,(-;

+1
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    Many years ago my friends and I got stuck in Barcelona towards the end of a 5 week inter-rail backpacking trip. We had just enjoyed a few glorious days at a beach campsite about 30 minutes north of the city, winding down after a whistlestop tour of Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy, France and Spain; and jumped on the metro train back to the city in order to catch our 9.30pm train back to France. Halfway to the city the metro breaks down and we get delayed for nearly two hours, eventually arriving at the station at 9.45pm to find that our train out had already departed. Since there were no more trains leaving in right direction that night and no more outbound metros either, we found ourselves stranded. Being the poor students on a tight food- and beer- only budget that we were, we decided to await the morning train in the clean and spacious waiting area, along with a sizeable number of other travellers in similar situations. At 10.30pm police came through and kicked everyone out of the station, so we ended up with everyone else on the sidewalk outside. It turned out to be a pleasant evening filled with camaraderie and stories, and we later took it in turns to stay awake and stand watch through the night.

It didn't matter. I awoke to find a small bag gone, two of my friends also had bags taken. A guy next to us had a brand new pair of Nikes taken from his feet. Another guy further up had his valubles bag taken from the bottom of his sleeping bag that had been cut open. There must have been around 100 people sleeping on the sidewalks surround the station that night, and as we unexpectedly made new friends waiting in line at the police office (where not one cop spoke English), we heard more tales of gold chains removed from around necks and money belts taken from around waists. By my estimation there were probably 70+ victims that night. We later heard from the police at the big police station that gangs were using knockout gas to ensure that their sleeping victims remained asleep.

That was a tough day and a bad end to a wonderful trip. I lost my passport and train ticket, so it was a royal pain the butt to get home.

Be safe out there.

That's insane. They must have had a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    Just travel light. If it takes an hour to break camp you have too much stuff. That is just my humble opinion. That is the beauty of hammock camping pitch quick, sleep good, pack quick. Rather than worry if my stuff is getting boosted just go ahead pack up and then hike to that cool lake. Pitch again and watch the sunset over the lake. Even if I'm going to come back to the same spot I still pack up if I'm going far during the day but, only because its easy and quick. Maybe I come back, maybe I find someplace cooler. Outside of that... I have set up a dead fall trap with cans designed to make noise for the main approach to a sketchy sight at night. Very easy to adapt traditional designs to LNT concepts.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Seems to me that I've always encountered at least one shady person, at the shelters on the AT. I've felt safer in the hammock, than on a slab with 15 other people I don't know. I'd rather stealth camp away from the group, IMO. The car thing is the greater issue for me. I really want to by a beater car so I'm more likely to get out there, without the fear of my car getting broken in to, or at least caring as much.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I have hung my entire pack like a bear bag in a remote area near camp while day hiking before... But generally I don't leave camp; I take it with me.

I was thinking while reading; a note that says 'I'm within eyesight, which means you're within range.' would probably deter most thieves. I can picture a would-be thief reading the note and thinking 'yeah right' just as a squirrel steps on a twig just out of sight...
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I've had my window of my car broken on Curtis Creek Parkway, nice creek-side car camping south of Mt. Mitchell, NC.
    I don't think I had anything valuable in my car and didn't notice anything missing from it or my campsite. Could have been idiots bent on destruction.
    I don't carry a lot of expensive stuff out on the trail, but I have hidden small items (phone, cash and keys) away before leaving a campsite for a swim or other excursions. Mostly, I try to expect the best!
    "Booty" traps sounds fun, tho

Quote Originally Posted by jersey View Post
    drop empty shell casings around your gear...seriously, never worried about it in the back country, but in more public areas, the "good stuff" is locked up in the food locker or car
    Some empty shell casing, some beer cans with bullet holes and a couple of empty whiskey bottles laying around your camp will generally scare most people off. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by billygoatA View Post
    I am more worried about my car getting broken into than my campsite. Then again, I generally do not camp where I can be seen.
    Same here.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Two words. Open carry. I agree that most people you encounter in the back country are good people and most likely not thieves. However, you really don't know. For me, the greatest deterrent of unwanted guests around my camp is a .45 strapped to my thigh. That's in Louisiana though so may not work for some of you and I'm sure people here are against it completely.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast