Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    UCRS
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    You might return to find your gear covered in crap... hahaha
    Good point lol... probably one of the many reasons I have yet to try this, knowing my luck someone in my camping party would for get and crap all over our stuff...

Hammock
    WBBB XL 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!

Securing your campsite

I've never had it happen to me but I have spoken with people that have had their entire groups campsite cleared out. Also, numerous car cleanings at trailhead type spots. It's a legitimate concern.

That said, the further into the backcountry you get - the less risk. I get a little paranoid at areas accessible by cars and those accessible by a short foot trail. Why? Besides the fact that I carry top of the line expensive gear, I feel it's generally locals that are to blame. Plus, if someone took something in the backcountry, they have to carry it out along with the rest of their gear. But I don't think those people are the problem anyway.

Like said in an earlier post, be smart, take you precautions and get on with life. Although, my paranoia level was much lower before I bought all of the expensive ultra light gear

I was camped out near a road on the AT. Normally, I wouldn't do that but that day, I had no choice. I was off the trail in a spot where you would have to stop and look for me. I woke up after midnight to see a very bright light shining down at me. I was afraid to move lest I confirmed my existence. I lay there for a few minutes trying to make a plan. As I woke up a little more, I realized I was looking at the moon shining down on me!

You just have to decide if you want to take the risk.It is all about being the unlucky one who has the idiot come around.I worry when on scout outings too.We leave entire campsites unattended.
    Every time I come back to my car I am thankful not to see a busted window,but figure one day I will be the victim.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    I kind of do the same thing, but instead of a tarp, I use a $30 Wally World 2 man tent. Makes it look more like normal car camping site, plus I have a place to put the junk I don't care about losing.
    Same here when car camping. I consider it my decoy tent. I put stuff I it that i don't care if I lose. I typically try to then hang in the trees beyond the back of the site. The tent is a good distraction.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Toss a handful of spent shotgun shells around the campsite, that should send the right message.

But at this point my gear has become so expensive that I just can't risk leaving it unattended and I just prefer the peace of mind having it all secured.

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    You see other people where you go??,,,,,,,,,(-;
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WL Snipe, HH explorer, GT UL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Boobie traps, "thats what I said, boobie traps". Oily rocks, pit falls with pungy sticks at the bottom (sharpened bamboo), swinging tree stumps etc... Wiley Coyote style:sly:

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdad13 View Post
    Boobie traps, "thats what I said, boobie traps". Oily rocks, pit falls with pungy sticks at the bottom (sharpened bamboo), swinging tree stumps etc... Wiley Coyote style:sly:
    hehe goonies.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I backpacked across Europe and there's some bold thieves over there, especially in Spain and Italy. I learned to sleep with my pack, even tying it around me with a rope and some gnarly knots. Not the best night's sleep, but at least I wasn't easy pickings.

A friend and I visited Barcelona and sat our packs down in a public square just to stretch. The packs weren't 10 feet from us. I turned around and they were gone. The square had about 8 exits but I took off for the closest one and found some little punk ransacking our packs for valuables. Needless to say, I put a beating on the little weasel. He didn't get any of my stuff but escaped with 4 of the 5 cameras my friend was carrying.

Which led me to my next question for my friend: why would you carry five cameras?
    Many years ago my friends and I got stuck in Barcelona towards the end of a 5 week inter-rail backpacking trip. We had just enjoyed a few glorious days at a beach campsite about 30 minutes north of the city, winding down after a whistlestop tour of Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy, France and Spain; and jumped on the metro train back to the city in order to catch our 9.30pm train back to France. Halfway to the city the metro breaks down and we get delayed for nearly two hours, eventually arriving at the station at 9.45pm to find that our train out had already departed. Since there were no more trains leaving in right direction that night and no more outbound metros either, we found ourselves stranded. Being the poor students on a tight food- and beer- only budget that we were, we decided to await the morning train in the clean and spacious waiting area, along with a sizeable number of other travellers in similar situations. At 10.30pm police came through and kicked everyone out of the station, so we ended up with everyone else on the sidewalk outside. It turned out to be a pleasant evening filled with camaraderie and stories, and we later took it in turns to stay awake and stand watch through the night.

It didn't matter. I awoke to find a small bag gone, two of my friends also had bags taken. A guy next to us had a brand new pair of Nikes taken from his feet. Another guy further up had his valubles bag taken from the bottom of his sleeping bag that had been cut open. There must have been around 100 people sleeping on the sidewalks surround the station that night, and as we unexpectedly made new friends waiting in line at the police office (where not one cop spoke English), we heard more tales of gold chains removed from around necks and money belts taken from around waists. By my estimation there were probably 70+ victims that night. We later heard from the police at the big police station that gangs were using knockout gas to ensure that their sleeping victims remained asleep.

That was a tough day and a bad end to a wonderful trip. I lost my passport and train ticket, so it was a royal pain the butt to get home.

Be safe out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast