Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    If it's not cold out, ours usually just sleeps on the ground/leaves. In the winter, or mountain camping, we bring along a ccf pad, but if there are sufficient leaves/pinestraw around, I build her about a 12'' high "nest" to sleep in. Then she climbs on and gets it how she wants. If it is REALLY cold(ie below freezing) then I will also pile pinestraw on top of her in the nest.
    -Ryan and Kyle Baker, Owners
    www.AppalachianHammock.com

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Re: Hanging with dogs, what do your's sleep on?

I have 2 Huskies... In the Summer they lay on a cut piece of Tyvek.
    In the Winter, it's the Tyvek, then half of a Zlite foam pad, and a fleece dog bed bt Ollydogs. Works for them.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I need to figure this out as well. There's no one I'd rather have with me in the woods than Parker.

Since he's a lab, he tends to jump in any water he can find. I have no problem with that, but sometimes he gets in too late in the day and doesn't dry before the sun goes down. When he's wet and tired and it's getting dark, he tends to get really cold.

Also, where we hike/hang in CO there tends to be a LOT of pine sap. When he sleeps on the ground, all of that sap gets in his coat and it's a PITA to get it out.

I'm thinking about making some sort of little "A" frame "tent" out of Reflectix/CCF. That way his body heat would keep him warm and the wind could be mostly blocked. I could also get him one of the duck hunting neoprene vests that would probably do the trick.

I've got to figure out a lightweight system that he can carry in his small pack. I'm willing to add some weight to my load for his comfort as well. He's the best hiking partner ever!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

depends on the weather

if it's cold enough my dog will wear a fleece and a synth coat. he'll sleep on tyvek with a cut down ridge rest pad. I had a custom jarbrigde quilt made for him that I will fold him into. he'll also sleep under my tarp pulled to the ground. he good down to 0* with this setup.

S

Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    I need to figure this out as well. There's no one I'd rather have with me in the woods than Parker.

Since he's a lab, he tends to jump in any water he can find. I have no problem with that, but sometimes he gets in too late in the day and doesn't dry before the sun goes down. When he's wet and tired and it's getting dark, he tends to get really cold.
    I've got a lab as well and I go through the same thing with him getting wet later in the day. When we duck hunt in really cold weather, I use a sham-wow (my in-laws gave us a set a couple of years ago) to dry him off after a retrieve so he's not soaking wet and freezing. They work very very well, and they're small and light. I started to bring it backpacking also to dry him off at night if needed. You might try something similar.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. It's interesting to see how others approach it.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    I don't know why but this just popped into my head.

It looks like a little speed bag...please don't play with it. Oh sorry.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Sooopafly!
    Insulation
    20deg HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    straps/marlin
    Images
    Molly has saddlebags, carries her own gear. For ground it's a 18x30 piece of refectix. I'm designing a lightweight 2x3 tent, maybe ill post wnen complete.

Oh yeah, she also has a neoprene vest we bought from cabelas. That thing is great, use mostly in winter, added booties when in Alaska.

A few trips ago I made her a 6" bed of ferns on top of a group of 2" branches. kept her hi, dri and warm.
    Last edited by Bobbinheadlodge; 09-26-2013 at 20:52. Reason: How to post pix??????????
    Nature restores my sanity. Seeking to get out more.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    I've trained my dog to stay on a piece of blue foam mat in the canoe (which he usually does). So when I take him camping, I bring that along, and he knows it's his... I just lay it under my tarp and he sleeps on the ground (he lays on the bare tile floor at home sometimes, in preference to his $40 memory foam dog bed. IDK. maybe it's cooler). I've brought along a small 5x7 tarp to make him his own hootch in the past, but he likes being closer to me.

edit: When it got cold some nights, I'd throw my jacket over him, but he usually ended up working it off in a couple hours.
    Last edited by Seeker; 09-29-2013 at 08:58.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by stravis View Post
    I use a sham-wow (my in-laws gave us a set a couple of years ago) to dry him off after a retrieve so he's not soaking wet and freezing. They work very very well, and they're small and light. I started to bring it backpacking also to dry him off at night if needed. You might try something similar.
    That's a good idea. I have a couple knock-offs I got from Walmart that would probably work. When he's dry, he's usually fine down into the mid-40s.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    I made mine a tent. He still prefers the dirt but now has figured out how to weasel his way into a hammock with someone in it. He rests his cute little puppy dig chin in the edge and most people can't resist. He's a 50# mutt and I can't blame him for liking hammocks over tents.
    Yup, just like the cammels nose pretty soon the whole dog is in snuggled up with me and the grandkids. But hey, my mother had the exact opposite view of dogs. She wanted to have one, she never wanted it in the house. She did buy a doghouse for it to stay in outside. Later when there weren't any of us around to pick up the yard my parents built a 10x10 pen and kept them in that, all the way back in the back of the yard. We looked at each other with the same contempt when we visited each others pets. Her's kept like a couple hogs 75 yards from the house and mine sleeping with their heads in my lap on the sofa.

Dogs left to themselves will find some place to sleep. Huskys will burrow a bit and let the snow cover them. But that doesn't mean some pups don't like a little extra comfort if they can get it.

And I think it's the movie "Hondo" that really had my parents view on dogs, though they would feed the animals.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123