Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    If you were trying to stay hid you would have a cook fire while your pack was full.
    after eating you move on to a hidden hang site.

Images
    I prefer to blend with my surroundings. Now if you want to see someone invisible a foot away from you, come hunt with me.

Hammock
    BIAS WW micro 11'
    Tarp
    JRB hex 11'
    Insulation
    warm weather only
    Suspension
    DIY portable poles

shadows

Good advice so far. Just to add:

Keep in mind that lighter colors take advantage of shadows. Khaki, light brown and light grey can disappear in filtered light -- which may explain why so many wild animals that don't want to be seen are these colors. Dark colors are always dark.

Also keep in mind that distance from the viewer is a central consideration. A pattern of 3-D oak leaves is just a flat, usually dark, color beyond about thirty yards regardless of the background.

Also, you can carry a hunter orange shirt/bandana/hat/etc. to hang on a tree for short trips away from camp.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Originally Posted by SwampHanger View Post
    Unless you have a cold camp most folks can smell or see your fire anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    Have any of you experiemented with a dakota fire hole? That basically burns underground so there are no visable flames, and it burns hotter so there is less smoke. It'd be a way to have a fire that you'd have to be pretty close by to know was there

As far as these two I do something that most people do not do. I practice something called alpine camping and never regretted it. It is where you rely on your gear and never have a fire, even in the coldest weather. In all the years I have done this I never had a problem. There is a drawback I think. Somehow when I go into a warm place after almost a week in the cold I get extremely tired.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhiker50 View Post
    Originally Posted by SwampHanger View Post
    Unless you have a cold camp most folks can smell or see your fire anyway.

As far as these two I do something that most people do not do. I practice something called alpine camping and never regretted it. It is where you rely on your gear and never have a fire, even in the coldest weather. In all the years I have done this I never had a problem. There is a drawback I think. Somehow when I go into a warm place after almost a week in the cold I get extremely tired.
    yeah, but a fire is just so nice. Plus, I don't like to carry fuel, so I cook over the fire almost all of the time. You just need to get the fire real hot, and use really dry wood, and you'll have a smokeless fire. Now have that fire under a tree canopy, and any little smoke you might get will disappear in the tree canopy. If the forest is thick enough, you'd be surprised how close you could be and not see it.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I use a Claytor Diamond Fly in the summer. It's a fairly green camo, so it would be no good around here in the winter. The repeat on the pattern isn't so obvious that it catches the eye and stands out. That can be a problem even in high quality Multicam or Marpat that are available to civilians. In the winter I use a Warbonnet Blackbird. The grey-green blends well in all environment even pretty good in white snow.
    As far as repeated patterns go, MarPat and Multicam are better than anything else available, and I personally give the edge to MarPat. I've had no problem getting USMC logo MarPat in 1.1, taffeta, Goretex, and PU coated (the same material used in the Field Tarp) from a number of sources, including DIY Gear Supply, Rockywoods, and Magna in widths up to 69". I have a 12 foot hammock and two 77" quilts made of 1.1 and can't discern a repetition in any of them. I'm fixing to make a 12 foot tarp out of 1.1 as soon as X-Trekker posts his "How To" thread on a DIY Sil application.

Camo

Ive got several pieces of equipment in different camo patterns. However, the best all around tarp ive got that really hides itself well, is the warbonnet olive color. It hides itself very well, playing itself off as a shadow.

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    Most of my gear is in camo, as I feel it 'disappears' at the corners of the eyes much better than bright colours... And not as easy to spot if you're not looking for it.

I'd like to see more fabric in RealTree camo or Kryptek....

Kryptek has a real cool blurry effect that plays with depth perception I reckon...

http://www.kryptekfabric.com/

Last edited by russwestwood; 09-25-2013 at 21:33.
    From the trees we came, to the trees we shall return

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russwestwood View Post
    Most of my gear is in camo, as I feel it 'disappears' at the corners of the eyes much better than bright colours... And not as easy to spot if you're not looking for it.

Kryptek has a real cool blurry effect that plays with depth perception I reckon...

Dude.

I saw that back in 1972 while I was sitting next to a caterpillar smoking a hookah.
    Last edited by sargevining; 09-26-2013 at 07:08.

Quote Originally Posted by russwestwood View Post

Havnt seen that before. ..great looking stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast