Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    thanks for the directions as to where to look. being new to the forum(relatively) and not knowing much about the trip/hangs and what even to expect, it is better when someone says "look at this page at the bottom. people have posted what they used." much more helpful than ACTUALLY POSTING "there are lots of threads already". ADD TO THE CONVERSATION, DON'T DETRACT!
    Shug is amazing but he hasn't been the only one to try and doesn't have every variation of equipment(saw videos in garage, he has LOTS though)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Doctari always puts a good list of tips together for the Mt Rogers January hang.
    Skip down a bit in the thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77959
    And Mt. Rogers trips have not yet ( far as I know) provided the kind of deep cold trips that our far northern states and Canadian brethren commonly experience. But reading the several trip reports related to last years very wet January trip to Mt. Rogers can be a real education on what can happen on any winter trip, and regarding dealing with the wet combined with cold. Like those 33F torrential rains I referred to previously, before the snow starts later.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I used a 0* UQ + DIY UQ (rated for 40*) for under insulation. Then for the top I used 20* bag stacked with a 0* bag. I also had a small CCF sit pad under my feet. I slept in thermal base layers and down pants, down jacket and down booties..... it was -20* F and I was sweating... ended up stripping way down to just base layers and was plenty warm. That's the coldest I've done, but I have since updated my gear with better UQ's and TQ's and I have used just my one UQ and TQ with a sit pad under my butt to around 0* just fine and was just in thermal base layers and hat. the CCF really really does a good job in the cold.
    That is some good layering: sweating at minus 20F!

Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    So what your saying hikingdad is that you can't wait for this years Wisconsin Frozen Butt! Ha! well i'm going be posting it up in the next day or so since everyone seems to be going through their winter gear. Derozea, if you scroll through the last few pages of the MN or Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hangs, a lot of us have posted reviews on our set ups. It's great to wonder around those threads, especially on those hot summer days.
    Now, unlike me, here is a true deep cold warrior, and he has done a lot of it with not much more than a HH Super Shelter plus layers worn and I think a +15 Marmot bag!

Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    thanks for the directions as to where to look. being new to the forum(relatively) and not knowing much about the trip/hangs and what even to expect, it is better when someone says "look at this page at the bottom. people have posted what they used." much more helpful than ACTUALLY POSTING "there are lots of threads already". ADD TO THE CONVERSATION, DON'T DETRACT!
    Shug is amazing but he hasn't been the only one to try and doesn't have every variation of equipment(saw videos in garage, he has LOTS though)
    Shug is amazing all right, one of the 1st to report here on way below 0F hangs, accompanied by kwpapke in his beefed up HHSS! Lately Shug has done great experiments with using your sleeping bag( layered with a summer wt TQ and a 3 season UQ) as a pod for deep cold.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Here's another good read for -40c.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=68907

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    From the link above:
    My sleeping arrangements were much the same as last year. My Exped Down Mat with an Alpkit Skyhigh 800 Down bag inside a Nanok -10 Extreme Synthetic bag both contained by a British Army Bivi Bag. Warm, cosy and comfortable at the very mild -10°c we were out in that night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    I see what your saying, but if you searched, there are tons of great info at your instant disposal. More than you'll get with one thread. Plus when you have loads of people all asking the same question, the good ones loaded with great info gets lost in the shuffle.
    Happy Hanging

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Well I disagree, that's not how I've seen people handle this on the site before... You could say that same thing to half the posts on the site.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Having done these extreme temps in the Adirondacks I will contribute my setup:

JRB 10x11 tarp
    Claytor Expedition Hammock
    TNF Solar Flare Down Bag
    Truck reflective sunshade pad
    full length wallyworld waffle ccf
    Full length 3/8" wallworld blue ccf
    section of 3/8" to fit crosswise for shoulder to hip
    sit pad for butt
    poncho as garlington taco* and pack liner contractor bag inside taco

*google "garlington insulator"

wearing:
    thick (not tight) wool socks
    expedition weight thermal bottoms
    wool pants
    LS wool baselayer top
    Arctyrx fleece (half zip)
    full head/face balaclava
    wool knit hat
    poly liner gloves

BTW, I tested my gear for years in my backyard at 10 deg increments. I experimented with how certain things worked together to create a system in which the total was greater than the sum of its parts. Living in the city at the time, my neighbors must have thought I was crazy. Only had one tree in the backyard, so I hung between it and the garage.

edit: toasty warm at negative 22*F. Worst part was having to pee the next AM and not wanting to get out of the warmth.

Images
    ... You could say that same thing to half the posts on the site.
    thats sort of my point, but maybe I'm just cranky today.
    (carry forth on the cold weather)

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast