DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i don't remember if you have said you use a pad or not, but i use a big agnes insulated air core (or an exped down air mat in the winter).
    i only inflate them about half way, so they fully support my back when back sleeping & my side when side sleeping.
    just like sleeping on an... well, an air bed
    i also use a neck pillow & something as a pillow between my knees when on my side or under my knees when on my back.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i don't remember if you have said you use a pad or not, but i use a big agnes insulated air core (or an exped down air mat in the winter).
    i only inflate them about half way, so they fully support my back when back sleeping & my side when side sleeping.
    i also use a neck pillow & something as a pillow between my knees when on my side or under my knees when on my back.
    Hmmm, I may give that a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post

watch out for the valve opening during in the night. That happened to me this past weekend. The pad was flat as a pancake in the morning. I can't even imagine sleeping with pillow between my knees. That sounds really uncomfortable

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How many nights in a row have you gone? I spent every night for just over a week and I will tell you that the first three were miserable until I got the "hang" of it. No pun intended. It was no different for me than the kind of sleep I got when I used to travel. The first couple of nights were always bad until I became acclimated. If you have a place to try it you might start on a weekend and just stay with it to see if it is something that you can aquire.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    For the last 2 months or so I spend at least 2 of every 3 nights in my hammock, & every 3rd week thursday night thru monday night is in the hammock. I would sleep in it every night, but there is no place to hang at work, and I sleep too good in the hammock, so would likely sleep thru anything at work. I had trouble sleeping last Sunday night, just because.

I second the pad idea, at least to start with. After I switched from using pads, I was a bit uncomfortable at first. My first hammock was a Bayer, it was (I think) a bit short, my latest one is about 3' longer & is more comfy for me so a longer one my be it for you.

It did take a few tries to get the hang of sleeping on my side.

Hang in there (pun intended) you will get it.

Doctari.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Funbun, how tall are you/length of your hammock/ridge line. Do you sleep well when you are on the ground. It sounds like you have trouble sleeping in general. My wifes mom had to take Ambient to sleep at night for a long time. It could be that some adjustments in your sleep system need to be made, or like Jeff said, some people aren't made for Hammocks.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I normally am a stomach or side sleeper at home. Oddly enough I sleep almost exclusively on my back while in a hammock and I sleep very well most of the time.

I have trouble falling asleep a lot of the time but it's mostly due to the sounds and noises around me at night. I try to sleep by running water if possible because the sound helps me fall asleep. Listening to music or an audiobook also helps.

With my latest DIY hammock, the Hennessy clone, will allow me to sleep on my stomach. I STILL haven't gotten a chance to sleep in it over night, but I did take a nap in it the other day.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Head, that reminds me. I knew a guy would slept the best with a vacuum cleaner running. He slept great but it was hell waking him up for morning formations.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images
    You are saying it isn't working. My question is what does not feel right?

If you are tall and trying to sleep on your side I am guessing that the hammock is pulling up on your feet and torso and tweeking for waist area. If this is a lot of it, then go with the longer hammock. Mine is 10 feet long and works good for me at 6'4". Try making a really long one and keep adjusting it until it feels right. A wider one might help too. Mine is the full width of the ripstop.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images

Go Longer!

I would try a longer hammock. My most comfortable one is 13 feet long, and I can completely lay in it sideways.

Like Jeff said though...some people are not comfortable in a hammock no matter what they do. My husband and daughter are that way...they hate them. While my sons and I love our hammocks.

You really need to give it some time though...it may be you (health) and not the hammock at all. If you hike long enough and hard enough and drag your butt into camp...your be so tired you will fall a sleep anywhere

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast