WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Looks like you had a great trip.

I am in this area for one week every year visiting my in-laws who retired to Elliot Lake. I am always interested in finding trails to hike in this area. I have not been able to find much information about Heaven's Gate trail. Where did you find a trail map? I am looking for something for next year. I was thinking about a portion of the Voyageur Trail that runs between Espanolo and Elliot Lake but the Heaven's Gate trail would be another option. Thanks.

Cheers

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Dad View Post
    Looks like you had a great trip.

I am in this area for one week every year visiting my in-laws who retired to Elliot Lake. I am always interested in finding trails to hike in this area. I have not been able to find much information about Heaven's Gate trail. Where did you find a trail map? I am looking for something for next year. I was thinking about a portion of the Voyageur Trail that runs between Espanolo and Elliot Lake but the Heaven's Gate trail would be another option. Thanks.

Cheers
    There is very little info on the trail. I have more info to add including camp locations, start and end locations, etc. I will try to add them later. There is a video from 07 (I think) on youtube (search Heaven's Gate Ontario) but it does leave a lot of info out and is pretty out of date.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Looks like an awesome trip, love the photos!
    Debi

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    nice tr thanks for sharing

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Wow. That looks so much like Killarney, the La Cloche hills with a rougher trail and fewer people. I really hope you post some more details. I was thinking of doing the Silhouette Trail again, but this looks like more fun. Awesome pics.

The one shot of your buddy almost invisible in the bush should be posted in the thread, How do you disappear in the woods, that I was browsing today on this forum.

Great trip report. Nice shot of mr porky!

Looks similar to the terrain on the Mantario Trail near here. All those ups and down are sure hard on the knees. Maybe a visit to a good physio would help. Get some advice on a knee strengthening program to rebalance the muscle groups around you knee. Worth doing even if you end up having surgery as a strong knee always recovers faster afterwards.

Plus maybe look at replacing that blue trap with something lighter!

BV

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Unfortunately I can't go back and edit the OP to add this info, so hopefully it won't get too lost.

Here are the key waypoints.

Trail Start
    N46 06.802 W82 04.569

Trail End (At tower gate, no parking, so take first road on left towards Whitefish Falls and there is a parking area ~200yrs up road)
    N46 07.763 W81 44.452

Camp 1 On Creek (Area is about 15ft off trail)
    N46 06.575 W81 59.027

Camp 2 On Lake (Right on Beach. Cell coverage was decent here)
    N46 06.225 W81 54.250

Camp 3 Bush (Not ideal but worked. If you continue down the trail another few hundred yards, you will see the old cabin. There is a trail to south of the cabin towards the lake. Cabin or down by the lake would make a better camp area)
    N46 07.103 W81 48.313

A couple placed, but never registered geocaches (for anyone that wants some loaded caches)
    N 46° 06.793 W 081° 58.121 (base of cedar tree looking towards the water)

Tracks from our trip (should be noted, the marked trail has moved a bit over the years. I had had used tracks for this trail found online, and found them to be off in many areas as the trail had moved
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...3&d=1380251491
    Last edited by Northern Mike; 09-30-2013 at 09:19.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
    Great trip report. Nice shot of mr porky!

Looks similar to the terrain on the Mantario Trail near here. All those ups and down are sure hard on the knees. Maybe a visit to a good physio would help. Get some advice on a knee strengthening program to rebalance the muscle groups around you knee. Worth doing even if you end up having surgery as a strong knee always recovers faster afterwards.

Plus maybe look at replacing that blue trap with something lighter!

BV
    The blue tarp was a last minute scramble. I had planned to make a rip-stop tarp, but ran out of time.
    The knee is getting better. Would be back to normal, but I have 3 kids and a wife that will not let me sit still.
    I'll be back on the treadmill tonight for the first time, doing some light walking.

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    Great trip! I was curious how it worked in those parks as far as sleeping goes? Here in Quebec, most provincial parks charge you an outrageous fee per night, even if you are thru-hiking and not even using their camp sites. I might venture in Ontario some time so was just curious if you had to pay to sleep in the wild.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by UpMySleeves View Post
    Great trip! I was curious how it worked in those parks as far as sleeping goes? Here in Quebec, most provincial parks charge you an outrageous fee per night, even if you are thru-hiking and not even using their camp sites. I might venture in Ontario some time so was just curious if you had to pay to sleep in the wild.
    It depends on the park. This area as well as many other areas are really unmanaged parks. When trying to organize a group trip back up to Ishpatina Ridge, the park contact was in Ottawa, and I never heard back from them after a few attempts. This park is the same. The park status is more to keep logging, and other industries out.
    A lot of parks in Northern Ontario where removed from the managed parks a year or two ago so although they are still listed, good luck finding someone to take your money for camping.

Killarney and similar is a different story. These are managed, have designated camp sites and are a big cash cow for the provincial parks. The guy I traveled with on this trip did an 8 day trip in Killarney this summer and I think he said the 8 sites cost him under $100 (sorry, don't remember the exact number).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast