Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I know this is an old thread...but this is an AWESOME IDEA...I like the practice for the UQ notion Vince! The pic are a little blurry or dark.......did you make the baffles exactly like a UQ stitched to each layer of the fabric in a [ kind of shape? Also, maybe I'm thinking of something else, but would a differential cut make one side of the pillow more convex as it would be a larger surface area side and, if so, would that be the side that the head touches? Thanks!

Also, how is the pillow holding up? Still got it? I have a bunch of down harvested from last March or so....I found using long metal tongs helped and didn't get to static-ee and I also got a vacuum with a hose attachment and bags in disposable bags......cleanest and easiest way to harvest and collect!!

Thanks!
    _John

For reference, I found this on BlackRock's site: http://www.blackrockgear.com/pillow.html

they have some "wicking" material in it somewhere to keep sweat away from head/face...smaller, but I like the triangular flap that helps keep it centered and in place on the hammock...they don't make this anymore, all the more motivation to make your (my) own adaptation!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I have a promotional pillow from nikki wax that is 15.5" x 12" and is 5.5" high, it weighs 7.5 ounces and works great for ground sleepers but is too much for hammocks. The material looks like diamond pattern like hyper D and has a great feel to is, I'm guessing the pillow has at least 6.5 ounces of Downlite hydrophobic down, fill power is unknown. I think if I had diy skills there is enough down for a 40* UQ in that pillow. It was a freebee from Trail Space.

My favorite pillow is a 3.5 ounce neck pillow by HK2001.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hi DW,

what makes it "too much" for a hammock? Also, not sure what "hyper D" is....is that a nylon like material that the skin touches on the pillow? You think 6.5oz is enough for a 40º down UQ? What length of UQ are you thinking that could fill? I have about 12oz of down (? fill power) harvested from old down coats that are at least 80%down and up to 90% or more that I'll use for various projects and a UQ is a good possibility for when I have time off around the new year. Thanks! I also have a 32º Ozark Trail down mummy bag from Walmart to improve by adding more down and another one to possibly convert into a TQ. I need more hours in the day! and more days in a week? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I have a promotional pillow from nikki wax that is 15.5" x 12" and is 5.5" high, it weighs 7.5 ounces and works great for ground sleepers but is too much for hammocks. The material looks like diamond pattern like hyper D and has a great feel to is, I'm guessing the pillow has at least 6.5 ounces of Downlite hydrophobic down, fill power is unknown. I think if I had diy skills there is enough down for a 40* UQ in that pillow. It was a freebee from Trail Space.

My favorite pillow is a 3.5 ounce neck pillow by HK2001.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I've been using it for a few nights and while I think it would be OK for the ground I prefer a simple neck pillow for a hammock since I mostly sleep on my back. HG Phoenix 40* uses 4 oz. of 850 and is 52" x45".

I have a 32* OT bag too and hope to convert it to a TQ as well but not sure I'll add down since I really picked thru until I found a fair amount of down in one. I plan to take the down out of the hood and draft collars out and put in the chest & mid section areas sometime this winter. There are a bunch of folk that have added down to their OT bags. I saw one done by junebugdawn that I think was filled to enough loft to be a 0* bag, not a TQ. So there must be enough room to add a great deal of down.

Good luck on the projects.

BTW, my 3.5 oz pillow is either primaloft loose fill or climashield I think.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Looks like a found a use for those few extra oz of down I have laying around! A pillow is a great way to use it up.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

thanks for the "good luck"! And where do you get loose primaloft or other similar material?
    _John

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I've been using it for a few nights and while I think it would be OK for the ground I prefer a simple neck pillow for a hammock since I mostly sleep on my back. HG Phoenix 40* uses 4 oz. of 850 and is 52" x45".

I have a 32* OT bag too and hope to convert it to a TQ as well but not sure I'll add down since I really picked thru until I found a fair amount of down in one. I plan to take the down out of the hood and draft collars out and put in the chest & mid section areas sometime this winter. There are a bunch of folk that have added down to their OT bags. I saw one done by junebugdawn that I think was filled to enough loft to be a 0* bag, not a TQ. So there must be enough room to add a great deal of down.

Good luck on the projects.

BTW, my 3.5 oz pillow is either primaloft loose fill or climashield I think.

Also, is this how you can get primaloft? http://www.amazon.com/Down-Lite-Prim...oft+loose+fill

open up the pillow and take it from there? OR is this stuff in different grades like down is where a pillow isn't meant to be light and transportable so it is made with more heavy feather and less actual down or just cheaper lower-fill down?

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    The DIY pillow was put together by HK2001, so I'm unsure about source. It looks like Rip Stop By the Roll is a great source for PL Silver & Gold as well as Climashield though.

Quote Originally Posted by John4 View Post
    thanks for the "good luck"! And where do you get loose primaloft or other similar material?
    _John
    Phil Keaggy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12