Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ

The work with what you have stand

Well my wife and girls are out of the country for a while visiting her family. I have hooks in the basement walls to hang my hammock for weekend naps and my oldest girl's bedsheet hammock during the week. But, the good TV is in my bed room so I figured a good project to keep me busy this weekend would be to make a stand for the bedroom since the Misses wouldn't appreciate hooks in the wall of the bedroom.

I had enough material to work with, but the space I had to work with was small. Too small for a TDS or TLS. What I really want to build is one of those with the surplus antenna poles... My bedroom is only 11 feet wide at the place to hang so this is what I came up with.

Basically this is just your typical stand with a tripod at each end and a ridge pole. The only difference is that 2 of the needed 6 poles are actually my walls. I thought that I might need some sort of anchor for the legs to keep them from sliding, but tests proved that is not needed. The carpet provides enough friction. The 2 poles on each end are connected with a hinge and the ridge pole is connected to the A frames with a bolt going through the A frame close to the top. The ridge pole has a hole in each end an amsteel doggone is larks headed to and then wrapped around the bolt and then a biner connects to the suspension.

Here are the pics. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by f k; 09-28-2013 at 23:08. Reason: typos

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images

Re: The work with what you have stand

I like your idea using the walls as the 3rd. Tripod legs
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    That looks good!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ah Ya! Dont tempt me! I may just throw my couch out and set up my eno. But if i did that i may not have enough ambition to go to work. No work.... No money.... No more DIY.... then again, i could just head off to the woods and put my foraging abilities to the test.

I better just stick to hanging outside for now....

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm lovin' it!

Love the shelf on the wall above the head end.

I'm wondering. Do you really need to have the angled pieces leaning? Since the walls will prevent the stand from shifting end to end, the upright could probably rest against the wall. This would make the stand less abtrusive in the room. Just a thought.

I like this solution. I'm going to show this to my son. Same situation in his bedroom.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Love the shelf on the wall above the head end.

I'm wondering. Do you really need to have the angled pieces leaning? Since the walls will prevent the stand from shifting end to end, the upright could probably rest against the wall. This would make the stand less abtrusive in the room. Just a thought.

I like this solution. I'm going to show this to my son. Same situation in his bedroom.
    That shelf has followed us from house to house. It is a good one and protects the wall from getting marks from the stand.

I thought about that. But, you would have to have a cut the ridge piece pretty precisely to kind of wedge it between the walls. You could get it close and then put on felt pads. With out that you would have wiggle room and take a chance of it leaning towards one of the two walls rather than both. The way I have it you ensure the supports are pulled into each wall. You could also do it your way by running the bolt through the ridge piece rather than suspending it from the bolt like me. Again you would either need to measure very precisely or drill the holes all at once you would need more than 2 hands for that. I used 1 inch holes for the bolts so the holes could be drilled perpendicular to to post rather than at an angle, and I can leave them in when I fold them. You might also need to notch the bottom of the supports to clear the for molding so the can sit flush to the walls.

I like your idea and probably would to it that way if this were going to be more permanent. =)

necessity does indeed breed new ideas, great work.

Another thought just danced across what little mind I have left, you wife might not be any happier with the stand than with eye bolts, good luck.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Another thought just danced across what little mind I have left, you wife might not be any happier with the stand than with eye bolts, good luck.
    Yeah it will come down when she gets home.... She is not ready for the idea of me not sleeping in the same bed as her yet. Another reason I did not want to spend any money on this. =)

• + New Posts