Clark NX 250 or NA
    Tarp
    WB MambaJamba
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutched-out w/WS
    Images
    Last March on the A.T. (NOBO starting at Deep Gap, NC; plan was to go to Wayah Bald); forecast was lows in 20's, highs in 40's, light precip for 1st 2 days. Out of nowhere comes a severe winter storm, of course after we had turned off our phones (no updates). We got about 10 miles in, temp dropping steadily, snow started about midnight, and temps day 2 never broke 19 F, water freezing in bottles, etc. My Clark NA and WBMJ payed for themselves! I had added a PLUQ for the lower third, empty pockets, and used a SOL Emergency Bivvy with my 30 degree bag. Not super toasty, but comfortable enough for the unexpected!
    Last edited by prob; 09-30-2013 at 11:58.
    "I stayed up all night wondering where the sun went ... then it dawned on me!"

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Why don't you combine your inflatable with a cheap wally ccf pad like this, see pic.

I just tried it in the backyard and it worked fine, I sleep in line on my back. There are articles on the web where people stick 3M velcro on both pads so they stick together and don't slide. A ccf will really increase the r value on your rig on the cheap too.

I used this combo in my Ridgerunner last year and it got down to 23 and I was very warm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by outdoorsguy; 09-30-2013 at 12:18.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks. I'm just collecting ideas to see what I could possibly do without spending a lot or weighing a lot. I have a down Kelly coromell bag that I picked up cheap. It's semi rectangular so it would work well as a quilt but its fairly heavy, so if you carry an air mattress and then a CCF pad the whole thing starts getting to be a lot of weight. Lightweight and inexpensive just don't seem to go together. My air mattress is 2.5 inches thick, has insulation inside of it and has tubes that run the length of it. I can envision it collapsing around me sort of like rolling up. Your air matress type probably works better. I guess I'll have to set up out back and see how it works. Good to know a ccf plus inflatable kept you warm, though.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Prob, I had a similar hike on the AT in Pennsylvania about 35 years ago. We were so cold we were miserable the entire time. I had a zero degree bag lots of layered clothes, wool mittens, wool hat .... well prepared .... but the wind blew hard for three days straight and my buddies and I froze. That trip is why staying warm in the winter in a hammock sort of creeps me out since its a complete (almost) unknown. Surviving and being comfortable are two entirely different experiences as you know. I can spend a lot and be sure I'm comfortable or use what I have or can borrow and hope. I have access to a lot of different gear since my family does a lot of backpacking. I'm the only hanger at the moment, though.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Those who have tried using an insulated air mattress in their Clark NX-250, TX-250 or similar please tell me your experience. I have a new clark tx-250 and I'll be taking it out this winter up in the mountains of eastern NC early in December. I would expect the night time temps to be in the 20's but it could be warmer or colder. I have a regular size REI stratus pad which has an R value of 3. I know an underquilt may be a better option but I don't really want to spend the extra money right now. I don't want freeze either and thats why I'm asking.
    An R value of 3 would indicate that it would work into the 40's or high 30's. You'll need more than that for the 20's.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks for the r value comment. I suspected that it may be a little light for the 20's. My gut tells me I could get by with the insulated air mattress and a ccf pad, but that starts getting pretty heavy when you combine it with a 3 pound sleeping bag.

Hammock
    WB BB DL XL
    Tarp
    SilNylon (rectngl)
    Insulation
    BA Insulatd Inflat
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Those who have tried using an insulated air mattress in their Clark NX-250, TX-250 or similar please tell me your experience. I have a new clark tx-250 and I'll be taking it out this winter up in the mountains of eastern NC early in December. I would expect the night time temps to be in the 20's but it could be warmer or colder. I have a regular size REI stratus pad which has an R value of 3. I know an underquilt may be a better option but I don't really want to spend the extra money right now. I don't want freeze either and thats why I'm asking.
    The mountains of EASTERN NC?? I have tromped all over Eastern NC and have yet to find a mountain. Please tell me where these mountains are.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Did I say Eastern? I must have been off my game that day. I meant Western... I think its East of me .... yeah thats what I was thinking. Sorry folks!

Insulated Air Mattress in Clark

Hi, I am taking my NX-250 on the AT next year. I wanted an air mattress for cold weather, as well as the days I pass on the hammock. I tried a 20" mattress from Big Agnes, but it did not work for me. I just bought the Thermorest Neoair Xlite wide/long, 25"x79", and only a pound. The 25" width is great; works for me. Look for a 20% off sale to make it affordable.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex FlyXL
    Insulation
    Working on
    Suspension
    Whoopi Dutch clip
    Lots of ways to keep the body warm eecially in a nx250. I have one.

Layers, layers , layers.

We made a home made UQ from a for Eddie Bauer square quilt. Wrapped my Thermorest (old) with some fleece, and found a Zero degree bag on sale.

Still need to make adjustments but it works.

Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast