Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    It was a good concept. I imagined it as a diamond fly with close-able beaks. Unfortunately the cat cut's were way to deep for my liking.
    I see what you mean.

I found some halfway serviceable material at wally world - a polyester that is coated on one side) and have started on some grizzbeaks. One is just cut and the other one I only need to add the tie outs/reinforcements and test it.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    If someone could get the Housefly for less than half price, would it make an acceptable 4 season tarp with doors. This is not for backpacking, it would be for use with Scouts.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    ASM Troop 140
    North Ridgeville, Ohio

I don't think anyone here has firsthand knowledge of it. After starting work on the grizzbeaks I got a 20% coupon from REI, putting my cost (after my gift card) at $20 shipped. I ordered it, figuring that if it is not good I can return it and get something else. It hasn't shipped yet but estimated delivery is Friday (the day I'm leaving on a camping trip with 2 of my boys). Hopefully it will arrive before I leave...

I am still planning on testing the grizzbeak (I finished one last night) also, so I should be able to get some good comparisons this weekend.

The dimensions are similar to the superfly from warbonnet (the ENO is 6" shorter on the ridgeline) and the integrated line locks seem to be a neat feature. With my current setup, the 10'6" ridgeline should give about 12" of coverage on each end.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by MaliciousOne View Post
    I have no doubt in my mine of how capable the ProFly is after this last weekend on the North Coast of Washington. Record breaking rain, lightning, thunder, and heavy wind. Everything under the ProFly was bone dry. I don't think there is another tarp out there as cheap as the ProFly what would have performed better.
    I have a ProFly, I really like it. I have all of the Hennessy rainflies, I keep hauling out my ProFly, not light weight but it work very well on all my hammocks, and I do not feel so enclosed. For me it is a keeper. My other flies are all going up for sale except the smallest hennessy and the ProFly.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post

Here's the specs for the ENO tarp you're looking at for $139 at REI:

Weight 27 oz.
    Material(s) Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon w/PU
    Unfolded dimensions (L x W) 10' 6" x 10'
    Best use Family/car camping & backpacking
    QUESTION: Is Polyurethane coated nylon the same as Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon w/PU?

When I read the technical comments this is what they said the house fly was made of. Sorry to be so ignorant about fabric.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    QUESTION: Is Polyurethane coated nylon the same as Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon w/PU?

When I read the technical comments this is what they said the house fly was made of. Sorry to be so ignorant about fabric.
    No pu coated and silicon nylon are not the same at all not. Pu coated will have a rubbery coating applied to one side and sil nylon is dunked in a silicon solution that fills the spaces in the weave with silicon making a lighter water proof fabric. In time the pu coating will come flaking off. Sil nylon wont or hasnt yet on any of my tarps. The pu fabrics will take a lot of abuse weather wise some sil has meen known to mist in heavy rain. Both have there merit and place.

So a package arrived today (Thursday). I eagerly opened it, only to find the invoice clearly saying "Housefly Tarp" and the label on the product clearly saying "Dryfly Tarp".

Clearly, a mistake has been made. I called REI and they are going to get me a return slip and send out the correct tarp. Doesn't help me for camporee this weekend though. Thanks to a friend, I've got a Profly so we can all three hang separate or I can double up with one of the boys and let someone else try my DIY for a night.

Net result: report on the housefly is delayed.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Just got three housefly tarps for me and another Scouters. We took it out last night to look at it and were pleasantly surprised. The only complaint so far, haven't had it outside, was the odor. This thing stunk when it came out of the package. We aired it out and it is much better. Hopefully we can try it out soon.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    ASM Troop 140
    North Ridgeville, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    Just got three housefly tarps for me and another Scouters. We took it out last night to look at it and were pleasantly surprised. The only complaint so far, haven't had it outside, was the odor. This thing stunk when it came out of the package. We aired it out and it is much better. Hopefully we can try it out soon.
    Agreed - the smell isn't appealing but the tarp works very well. I had it at the November Yates Place hang and it kept me nice and dry. It was a little close in on the sides - but the doors were overlapping and I think adjusting the hang will help.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    the smell isn't appealing but the tarp works very well.
    That sounds like me after a few days camping...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast