Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

ENO Housefly Tarp

In looking at tarps on the REI website, I came across this one. Here's the REI page: http://www.rei.com/product/858953/en...efly-rain-tarp

Here is the ENO page: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c.../HOUSEFLY.html

Anybody gotten their hands on this? It's 10'6" x 10', which is a little smaller (6") in length than the superfly and 1'6" shorter than my hennessy hex (which provides a LOT of coverage at 12' x 10').

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    It's smaller, heavier, and more expensive than a Superfly. And they're clearly trying to pull some interest by naming it similar. Why would I buy it?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I purchased 2 ENO Double Nests before I discovered Hammock Forums. I owned a One-Link system w/Guardian Bug Net and ProFly, with which I was very happy for more than a year, before I saw my first Shug video. I believed my options where ENO or tent.

I did not choose ENO over any other comparable hammock/bugnet/tarp. I chose what REI had available. The purchaser of the HouseFly will buy it because they don't have an option infront of them. Eventually, they, like myself, will discover there are more attractive options. Eventually, they will tempt fate and buy an untested product online based upon word of mouth praise alone.

My REI dividend now, is a small fraction of what I used to collect. Seems I am spending more but, spreading my purchases from garages in Utah and Colorado to work shops in Pennsylvania and Maine. I shop smarter than simply selecting from what is infront of me.

I love my ENO because it changed/ re-invigorated my relationship with the outdoors. I'll never sleep it it again; I'll never buy another ENO product but, I love it.
    Last edited by OCDave; 09-30-2013 at 15:11.

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    ENO seems to like that 126 ridgeline. I have a Profly that I bought on a whim for some added shelter during a full week of rain at a Boy Scout summer camp. Although heavy, and not nearly as roomy as my WB SF or my old HH Hex, I must say I like this little tarp. It pitches drum head tight,packs small, and appeals to my minimal overhead leanings, now that I've hung in some pretty bad down pours and never gotten my WBBB a bit wet with any of these.
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    Klymit Static V
    Suspension
    Custom Readystrap
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJackJim View Post
    ENO seems to like that 126 ridgeline. I have a Profly that I bought on a whim for some added shelter during a full week of rain at a Boy Scout summer camp. Although heavy, and not nearly as roomy as my WB SF or my old HH Hex, I must say I like this little tarp. It pitches drum head tight,packs small, and appeals to my minimal overhead leanings, now that I've hung in some pretty bad down pours and never gotten my WBBB a bit wet with any of these.
    I have no doubt in my mine of how capable the ProFly is after this last weekend on the North Coast of Washington. Record breaking rain, lightning, thunder, and heavy wind. Everything under the ProFly was bone dry. I don't think there is another tarp out there as cheap as the ProFly what would have performed better.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    It's smaller, heavier, and more expensive than a Superfly. And they're clearly trying to pull some interest by naming it similar. Why would I buy it?
    I agree, although I don't think they named it to rip off the SF, since all their other tarps have "fly" at the end too. Still, I hope people do research before dropping cash on it so they can find the SF and get a better tarp while supporting a cottage vendor.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    That's true. I am a bit biased, I guess. I dis-like ENO because almost all of their products are inferior to the cottage industry we know and love here. And more expensive. But as one user pointed out, they are the only company really commercializing hammocks.
    Last edited by Boston; 09-30-2013 at 20:02.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    That's true. I am a bit biased, I guess. I dis-like ENO because almost all of their products are inferior to the cottage industry we know and love here. And more expensive. But as one user pointed out, they are the only company really commercializing hammocks.
    Did Hennessy vanish?
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Did Hennessy vanish?
    My local REI does carry Hennessy brand but you wouldn't know it unless you asked; 2 hammocks bagged on a shelf. Compared to the obvious, colorfully displayed ENO products, Hennessy is invisible. ENO is well marketed and more appealling to the masses. Half-a-dozen new hammocks in my son's scout troop over the past two years - all ENO Double Nests.

Did Hennessy vanish? In my neighborhood - Yes!

The reason I'm considering it is because I may have a gift card for REI in the near future - so if I was 100% out of pocket on the deal I would likely go with the Superfly for exactly those reasons (and I'm holding off on the purchase until I know for sure). However, I couldn't find anything on the eno housefly other than those two pages. I thought maybe someone here had at least seen one in an REI or something.

One (very minor) note, it seems that the ENO tarps come with guy lines, something that the Superfly does not. Again, in this ENO seems to be aimed at the "off the shelf" purchaser, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I have and am happy with their guardian bug net - it has worked well for me so far. A coworker of mine has and is happy with another of their tarps, which I'm hoping to borrow for an upcoming hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast