Images

Re: Pad vs. Underquilt (full vs. 3/4)

I have just returned from a week in the Boundary Waters with a Hennessey Explorer (freaking awesome trip). I've had the Hennessey for a couple of years now but this is the longest hang I've done although not the coldest. However! I used a ThemaRest bag with a NeoAir pad for the first time. With the pad in, and this is true with other pads also not just the NeoAir, I couldn't lie on the angle that an Asym is designed for and had to sleep in the banana position. Although I still slept well compared to my friend in the tent, it just wasn't what I wanted and it was cold enough that I definitely couldn't do without the pad. So now I'm considering an underquilt and not having much luck matching up with the HH although there are a couple of possibilities. I am leaning toward the full-length. I want warm feet and I just can't see that happening with a 3/4 without dragging along more components or special clothing. Any comments on one vs. the other?
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    I would like to hear about the 3/4 vs. full as well. I was thinking about getting a 3/4 length quilt and some down booties and a nice hat. Thought it might save a little weight. Plus, a full length underquilt seems like you're carrying another top quilt or sleeping bag. Of course, down booties might fall into the realm of extra stuff you don't want to carry.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The Full lengths can have just a little bit more fiddle factor, getting to hang right. 3/4 are a bit more forgiving, but that shouldn't really be a factor IMO. You'll eventually get it right.

You will need a footpad, but you might have one with you anyway, if you carry a sit pad, or have a piece as part of the internal frame of you're pack, like the Golite line does. You can always use clothes or even your pack for additional lower foot/torso insulation.

It all really depends on where and how cold you intend to go. Remember in deep cold even a full length UQ can use a little help in the footbox. It probably depends on how much weight penalty and possibly volume,(and it's not all that much)you are wanting to carry, and where.

At some point you are very liable to own one or more of each depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you're willing to go
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've tried a 3/4 underquilt, but for me it just doesn't work. They may be lighter in weight, but then you have to add to that the extra weight of things to keep your feet and head warm. You might still save a little bit of weight, but not enough to make up for the fiddle factor. Your milage may differ!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    As mentioned, I don't carry any "extra stuff" to keep warm with my 3/4 UQ. I carry less pads, and simply make what does come with me carry double duty. When I get in the hammock, I'm no longer using that piece of CCF pad to sit my butt, so it goes in the footbox. As also stated, when the temps really drop, even with a full length UQ, you're going to toss it down there anyway. It's a pressure and compression point, like the butt and shoulders.

HYOH by all means. For some nothing but a full length with a spider's web of suspension and triangle thingys will do. Others make do with less or different set ups, and the actual weight penalty between the two can be of little concern to the average hanger.

I don't consider, carry weight penalty, between the two as a deciding factor. Use the one that works for you instead. The cost points however between the two can be as high as 100 dollars. That can buy a lot of other or better gear.

Keep us updated on what you decide.....and how it works for you down the road!

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We just got the JRB Nest for my wife's Explorer. Set up was very quick and easy, and she loves it. Kept her very warm on our backpacking trip last weekend. Packs down nice and small too.

• + New Posts