Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Moving the hammock indoors!

So, i have finally convinced my wife that i cannot get a good nights sleep in our bed and she has agreed to adding a hammock to our bedroom. Now the question is what is the best method for hanging it? Can I put an eyelet in the stud and call it good? I weigh 215 and my wife would kill me if I end up ripping the wall down! Any tips are appreciated. I think she is getting tired of me sleeping in the backyard every night so I need to do this soon.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Congrats on the move indoors! Wish I could be of more assistance but I am still far from getting a hammock inside myself!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I've got a thread somewhere around here with pictures and all the things you need. Hit up Lowes for a set of Cam Buckle Tie offs and some 1/4"x3" Stainless Steel lag bolts, find studs, mark holes, predrill, and mount brackets.

Hammock
    DIY: 11' Pertex 4 - AKA 'ball bag'
    Tarp
    DIY: 10x10 S-Nylon
    Insulation
    DIY: CS Dual Diff
    Suspension
    DIY: Dyneema leads
    Images
    hey, i sleep in a hammock full time (nearly 2 years now, love it and no regrets), i have mine hanging from the ceiling joists over where i would sleep in my bed and tie it up when i am not in the mood or are sharing the bed.. Less rope work trailing around the bedroom if you fix off the ceiling and it wont crush the plaster like all my wall mounts did; the ceiling holds my weight and a guest just fine and the load is in the fixing itself not on delicate plaster if you select this method.

Some may disagree with wall mounts loosening, but then i would ask if those mounts have been used and abused every day a mine have. Sometimes my adult rottweiller and border collie hop up too with me and no breaks with ceiling mounts despite the shock loading, i have had two fails with wall mounts. They where fitted securely before the fail, i just stopped checking them so missed nipping them up when they crushed the plaster, inevitably that play in the fixing let it slip out.

If you have a room above you those joists will be far stronger than a stud wall anyhow, even if not a proper floor above you ceiling joists should be about the same size timber as a stud wall and i would only be concerned if fixing central on a ceiling with a long span, i would trust them more than a stud wall which could well be shoddily mounted as they where not designed to take such a load.

Either way, just make sure you get a good fixing and check for movement for the first week or so until you feel secure. If the fixing doesn't move after a week or two on a ceiling your all good but if you mount on the wall do keep checking Oh and use overkill fittings designed for wood, seems obvious but easily overlooked. The freebies usually suck.

EDIT: You will realise that hanging from a ceiling will land the hammock more central in a room, not an issue for me i simply moved my bed and furniture to suit, but if you want to be tight against a wall or in a corner then inevitably one end will need wall mounting.. I also suggest having the mounts wider apart than needed and setting the hammock angle with a fixed ridge, it takes the trial and error out of where to fix the mounts and save filling holes afterwards.
    Last edited by mr tickle; 10-01-2013 at 19:29.

Hammock
    DIY: 11' Pertex 4 - AKA 'ball bag'
    Tarp
    DIY: 10x10 S-Nylon
    Insulation
    DIY: CS Dual Diff
    Suspension
    DIY: Dyneema leads
    Images
    A perk of hanging over the bed btw, imo, is that it saves room and to some degree you can kind of share a nights sleep with the other half still; or at least feel a bit more connected to them. Also if your mind is filthy like mine you can get creative... :P

Stu
    Last edited by mr tickle; 10-01-2013 at 19:16.

• + New Posts