Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

WB Spindrift sock: What's your experience with it?

I'm considering getting a WB Spindrift sock for my new WBRR.

Hoping that it helps me stay toasty warm in the winter.

Am worried that it may have serious condensation issues, though.

What are your experiences with the WB Spindrift?

Formerly Known as Sespe Drifter Jerven's Avatar
    Hammock
    Shelltowee Boone 20
    Tarp
    Need one
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    buckles&straps
    I have used it multiple times with no condensation issues, and had to vent because I was too warm. I ordered a custom spindrift in multicam with two openings. The cost was just a little more but well worth it for the views. Great piece of gear!

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Mine has been great! Only had a little condensation when it was ridiculously cold out, somewhere below 0 Fahrenheit. If you leave the zipper open a little over your head, you hardly get any at all, and pretty much none in better weather. Really keeps the wind off, has made winter camping way more fun!

Cheers

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you get a Spindrift,,,get the 2 door,,,it absolutely rocks,,,been averaging about 10-12 degrees of difference in the heat of it when the nites last week were cracking 48-53 degrees,,and sleeping very warm with 50 degree UQ and TQ and in shorts and tee only. Can't wait to get in colder weather. Even at 70 in the house,,with the 2 doors completely open,,I get a breeze from the air conditioners and fans and its totally comfortable. Personally,,I think its the best piece of gear for the RR besides Brandon's quilts. One other thing,,so far,,I have not worn a buff using the spindrift in the cooler temps..so its a plus so far. I have a idea for Brandon,,make a spindrift with the clear vinyl doors in it,,then you can see all the time out of it..

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't have the Spindrift, but I got the Travel Sock a couple of months back. I assume that the material and characteristics are fairly similar. I had several cold nights (temperatures somewhere between close to freezing and 10°) where I used the sock. With the exception of one night, I didn't have any condensation. And the one night I noticed condensation, it was only close to my head. I had been sleeping with my head directly against the sock, and had been breathing into it most of the night. It was not much, though, and dried off quickly in the morning.

Not sure if this is the same with the Spindrift, but the only things I did not like were:
    • the Travel Sock has no tie outs. This means that the hammock feels even more enclosed than it would already feel with no views. This will probably not be an issue with the Ridgerunner.
    • the openings for the suspension are kept closed with Velcro. This will rough up the fabric in time, and it doesn't hold up to pull particularly well. I would prefer a draw sting. But I guess I could DIY something. For the moment I added little S-biners, which I clip to the suspension.
    • there's an awful lot of sock material under the hammock. I could use several underquilts on top of each other and would still have space left. I might actually cut off some on the bottom. Again - I'm not sure what it looks like with the RR.

Heat retention was good, although I have no comparison to other socks, yet. The temperature in the hammock was noticeably warmer than without the sock.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Socks rock.....hehee

The Spindrift is an excellent piece of gear that allows me to stay warm and content with otherwise a budget-tight sleep system. I don't have a super-sweet down TQ or UQ, just a synthetic sleeping bag that doesn't live up to it's 32 degree rating.

I use a pad and DIY PLUQ combo underneath me that has worked well enough...two weeks ago I slept at 11,000 feet, low of 37 degrees or so. Was not cold.....had the SpinDrift zipped up all night, zero condensation. Whoo buddy though, any time I would open the door to peek out, I was reminded of how chilly it was, and why I needed the sock.

Get it!

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    I have the Traveler sock and I love it. But even with the zipper open at the top and the ends open the condensation was considerable. Both times I used it there was about 4in of snow,Temp at 5*F and the other about 18*F. Maybe being on the East coast, the humidity and how hot you sleep I'm sure has some affect. Not only does it raise the inside temps but it keeps the wind from finding the gap that might open up when moving around in the hammock. Its the lightest and cheapest item I carry that keeps me comfy on a cold night

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter lynx

double doors

I have a double door Spindrift for year round use. Modified with two
    bugnet doors. I get excellent cross ventilation and bug protection and
    can quickly zip up for warmth and weather comfort. Sometimes there
    will be condensation but has not been much of a problem.
    Last winter with 10 degrees plus snow I got ice crystals on the inside
    of the spindrift but there were also ice crystals on the under side of my tarp.

Just adds to the fun and experience
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Hutzelbein,

It may seem like there's alot of extra fabric under the travel sock when the hammock is empty, but when you lay on the diagonal and your feet push against one side of the sock and your shoulder pushes against the other, this uses up that "extra" fabric leaving just enough space between the bottom of the hammock and the sock for a winter underquilt and a small air gap between sock and uq (a couple inches), it is not excessive at all but may seem that way when you look at the hammock when nobody's in it.

Tieouts pulled out on the side of the sock would "lift the bottom" upward just like pushing feet and shoulders against it does, which is why there aren't any...you need space for the uq of course but also a few inches of gap between uq and sock, so tieouts are left off to ensure the bottom of the sock does not contact the underquilt directly.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Have not been able to use in the field yet but I can say that it fits like a suit that has been tailored to your body. I will be using it sometime this month, can't wait.

I really wish I had known I could have asked Brandon to put another door on it. Oh well.

I don't think you can go wrong, get it.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast