ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HFT 11x9
    Insulation
    Magellan 30* Bag
    Suspension
    Rope/Carabiners

A few questions...

I've been looking at ENO gear recently, and I don't know which one to get. At first I thought I wanted a Hennessy, but after trying one out, I found out Hennessys have a "seam" down the middle of the back so you can lay flat. I don't want that, I like the "banana" curve.
    So my first question is whether or not ENOs have that "seam" requiring you to lay on the diagonal.
    And secondly, I don't want a DoubleNest, and ENO has 3 others, the SingleNest, the ProNest, and the Reactor.
    I go backpacking 2-3 times a year, which would make the lighter weight ProNest good. But it doesn't have any lines, the caribiners simply attach to the hammock itself, is that an advantage or disadvantage?
    The SingleNest is the basic model, although it is 4oz heavier than the ProNest, according to ENO it has "Heavy Duty Triple Stitched Seams" while the Pronest and Reactor don't, will it last longer and be more durable?
    And the Reactor is a full 13oz heavier than the ProNest, does the extra weight make it more durable? And is the pad compartment really worth it?
    A scout is never taken by surprise; he knows exactly what to do when anything unexpected happens.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I hate to be that guy that thinks you know what you want, but I'd say the vast majority of people prefer to lay on the diagonal especially for overnight sleeping. If you are just lounging for a little bit, laying straight down the middle might be ok.

Also, I think the vast majority of people prefer the size of the DN. I haven't ever tried a SN, but I do have a DN and I don't think it is oversized at all. I am 5' 11" and 175lbs.

As for suspension, it is very easy to switch out the suspension on ENO hammocks and go with something else. Many people at least switch out the stock carabiners.

And now for the most worn out acronym on this site... HYOH

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I would recommend you go to a local hang and check out hammocks there and talk to fellow hammockers and ask a lot of questions. Don't be shy, we love to talk about our rigs and hammock gear.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I would recommend you go to a local hang and check out hammocks there and talk to fellow hammockers and ask a lot of questions. Don't be shy, we love to talk about our rigs and hammock gear.
    +1 here, you have so many other options out there and a group hang with a variety of different rigs and the vast amount of experience there is down south. A lot start with ENO but quickly upgrade to lighter more comfortable solutions. Have you slept all night hanging down the middle? If not, you may find the diagonal much more easy on the body by morning. Have fun and as BajaHanger said dont be shy!! Thats what we are here for
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I can't think of anything worse for your spine than laying in a banana shape all night long.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Could you explain why you want to avoid the DoubleNest?

Of the SingleNest, ProNest and Reactor the SingleNest gives you the most length at 9'4". I have found there is a correlation between length and comfort however, I strive for a flatter/ diagonal lie. The DoubleNest is the same length as the Single just a bit wider.

If you do not need the length, the Reactor is shorter but, as a double layer hammock it may help you find comfort by keeping an insulating sleeping pad underneath you. The ProNest is too small for an adult.

My first Hammocks were DoubleNests. I wouldn't consider anything shorter nor narrower. If you are ruling out the DN due to weight, consider other manufacturers. Many lighter options available. If you need a recommendation just let the forum know what you want to do with your hammock.

Good Luck

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

A few questions...

I had a small Byers Moskito before I decided to go with a full camping rig (but did a few random nights in it).

Then I got an ENO single nest and it did fine. Last year I grabbed a Double Nest on sale. It felt like luxury compared to the single.

I sleep on the diagonal, on my side some times, or on my back with one leg cocked sideways (not on the diagonal, but fairly flat because of my leg).

I recently went to a large 11 foot DIY hammock (only one night so far). I really like it and it is super light. I am 6'2" and about 205 to 210 lbs, by the way. So I like the larger hammocks for my height.

Once you have a good tarp, you don't risk much to try different hammocks.

I may still take the double nest to the woods if I don't want my thin DIY in the colder temps. I know the fabric weight won't make a huge difference, but I may go that way regardless.

There are a lot of quality cottage vendors that sell great hammocks, so keep shopping and asking questions.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HFT 11x9
    Insulation
    Magellan 30* Bag
    Suspension
    Rope/Carabiners
    The reason I'm not really considering the DoubleNest is because the only difference is more room(which don't really need) and more weight(which I'd rather not have). This will be my first camping hammock, so I'm looking for something affordable($150 maximum for everything), and comfortable. I'll probably upgrade down the road, but right now I'm just getting started. Oh, and I'm 5'9" and around 170lbs.
    A scout is never taken by surprise; he knows exactly what to do when anything unexpected happens.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HFT 11x9
    Insulation
    Magellan 30* Bag
    Suspension
    Rope/Carabiners
    I think I've decided, I'm going to get the DoubleNest, a little more comfort and I can wrap up in it during cold weather. Now, which tarp to get?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I recommend a Warbonnet Edge. You could pair that with a Warbonnet Traveler and remain within your budget.

Good Luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast