Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    EE 30* HG 0* Incub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp w/doors - Do I need 12' ridgeline?

I emailed HG support yesterday but didn’t get a reply. I was wondering if you guys could help answer this.

I just ordered a WL Snipe hammock and I want to get a Cuben Tarp w/doors. My question is: since the Snipe is a long hammock should I consider going with the 12’ ridgeline tarp? Or is the extra length just a matter of if I want extra room inside? I figure the snipe will fit fine since it will have sag.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I believe you are correct. I have an 11' HG tarp. There is a lot of room under it and you should have no issue covering an 11' hammock with the proper sag.

But that 12 foot tarp is extra roomy with out significant weight gain. If you got the do-re-mi you should treat yourself to the 12' tarp.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    EE 30* HG 0* Incub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Good point, it's only $12 more for an entire foot. What is the downside? I guess it could limit the trees I can use it between but that is negligible.

Hammock
    DH DB 11'x72'',WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OMW 144'' Black
    Insulation
    UGQ 40*+0*,Inc 20*
    Suspension
    dutch & whoopie
    Maybe it will cause some trouble with hammock suspension(gettingt to close to the tarp), as I mentioned with my 144''OMW. But this roomy feeling is outstanding. Greetings from Switzerland, Chris

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    With the tarp being Cuben, the extra length means a trivial increase in weight. Why not get it? I recently bought a long (WBBB XLC) hammock and already had standard length tarps (Superfly and MacCat Deluxe) and I was worried about the tarps being too short. Not a problem at all, especially with the Superfly's doors to seal up the ends in nasty weather. But I wouldn't mind having another foot of tarp. That is, until it's time to put on my backpack.... Then, I wonder if I even need the tarp with doors at all, and half the other stuff I have to bear the weight of!

Those kind of little "extras" are the things that sneak up on you as you add them to your pack. An ounce here and an ounce there suddenly turn into pounds, it seems.

But since you're talking about Cuben, I say "Go for it!"

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    you don't need a tarp with 12 foot RL for a Snipe. I run about a 109" fixed ridgeline on the snipe and an 11 foot tarp with doors will work fine.

if you need the room that a 12 footer will give you, then get one. but don't forget that you may have a harder time finding the space to hang that size tarp. that's why I doubt I'll own one.

S

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    EE 30* HG 0* Incub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Adam replied to my email with this:
    The ridge line on the snipe is probably around 110". With the Standard 11' tarp being 132", it is my personal opinion that it will be plenty long enough, especially with the added coverage that the doors provide. While a longer tarp will have more room, it will also be a bit harder to find trees at times. It will also require you to set the tarp higher away from the hammock to make sure you are clearing the hammock suspension lines. Some people do not mind that but it is something to consider.
    I know I am going back and forth but with this and Sidewinder's opinion I think I am going to go with an 11'.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I'll add one more thing for you to consider. The extra foot of length in the 12 foot tarp will provide more room, but the usable room I find of a large tarp is usually In the middle where I hang out. The ends of the tarp are there to protect the ends of your hammock from weather. With doors battened shut it won't really matter that the end of your hammock is one foot away or two feet away from the tips of the tarp. You got to ask yourself are you really going to use that space at the ends?

The width of the tarp is what I would spend your time (and money) thinking about. Go with the 11 foot tarp but get it wider. I was In a storm a few weeks ago and wish I had my wide tarp with doors. I got so much splash on the bottom of my Underquilt from the rain hitting the ground so hard that it bounced up off the ground. It didn't help that I was pitched over some rocks but that was the spot that worked and that was the tarp I had. If I had my wide tarp with doors, I could have pulled the tarp to the ground and shut the doors. Both my quilts and the dog would have stayed dry. My bad for not bringing the right tarp. But I hope I made my point. Tarp with doors is nice. Tarp with doors that you can pin to the ground, even better.

S

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    I've had an 11' winterpalace, and sold it to buy my 12' "winterkingdom". I feel like it's night and day with an 11' hammock, especially in weather when I have to move around under the sealed up tarp. I've never had issues finding trees and I'm not having to reach particularly high to suspend the tarp. I say go to 12, without question. My. .02.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S-4Door
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the 12' RL on my HG Cuben. Basically, all you have to do find trees that are the right distance apart. Tarp w/ doors (& guylines) still packs down to a small package and fits with reasonable comfort in the cuben stuff sack HG provides. In fact, I have room in the sack to put my stakes, which are themselves in a small sack for safekeeping.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either selection, as HG makes a superb product.
    Scooter

In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast