Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    no no no.. I'll push for 8 days

If I have to cut X amount of time out of the trip, I'd rather take the ferry from Windigo to Rock Harbor, unless there's something really amazing I'd be missing out on on Day 7 or 8 or your itinerary.

I know the mines are a big thing on my wife's to see list. I see Siskowit mine (day 7)

You did every night at an established campground, and did no backcountry camping? Which were your favorites?

Here's the Copy of your itinerary (I just want to make sure I've got it right)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    O.E.M. WBBB Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    no no no.. I'll push for 8 days

If I have to cut X amount of time out of the trip, I'd rather take the ferry from Windigo to Rock Harbor, unless there's something really amazing I'd be missing out on on Day 7 or 8 or your itinerary.

I know the mines are a big thing on my wife's to see list. I see Siskowit mine (day 7)

You did every night at an established campground, and did no backcountry camping? Which were your favorites?

Here's the Copy of your itinerary (I just want to make sure I've got it right)
    Pretty much exactly it, but on day 1 we hiked along Tobin harbor trail, and the last day, didn't make slight that jog north, just came right into Rock Harbor.

We had back-country passes, but went so early in the season it wasn't busy; and some of the dead fall across the trail (they had yet to clear a thing) was challenging enough! haha

Hard to pick a favorite, as the whole trip was pretty spectacular.

And you're going to need a hexstove for a fire ha
    Last edited by Boudah; 10-27-2013 at 13:41.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Totally agree with Boudah!
    If you follow our IT, make sure you have plenty of water on day 2. It can make for rough day if you run out. The streach down to Windigo, flew by for me, a very nice easy stroll down hill.

If I had to pick a favorite campground, it would either be Lane Cove or Lake Richie. Lane Cove is one of the few sites you can catch a sunset over Superior, and not too many people head that way on their first day.

+1 on the Hex Stove! A little fire makes a world of difference.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I also recomend lunch at Suzys Cave. Climb up on top of the formation and you get a great view of Rock Harbor.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Lots of good info I have my sights on late Sept, early Oct. of 2014 to be on the Isle.

The video really gave me a good idea of what to expect on the trails
    Fancee Feest = preferred alcohol stove of "informed backpackers"

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    When I went in 2010 I did this 14 (well it turned into 16) day trip:

Rock Harbor -1-> Daisy Farm -2-> West Chickenbone -3-> Hatchet Lake -4-> S. Lake Desor -5-> Siskiwit Bay -6-> Feldmann Lake -7-> Windigo -8-> (Food drop/Zero day) -9-> N. Lake Desor -10-> Todd Harbor -11->McCargoe Cove -12-> Moskey Basin -13-> 3 mile -14-> Rock Harbor (2 nights due to bad weather)

Highlights for me in order were: McCargoe Cove, N. Desor, Moskey Basin, and Siskiwit Bay.

Worst site was Chickenbone (got the site with no trees and swirling dust cloud), but there was a hanger who had a really nice spot near the water access. Leeches were a bit thick in the lake too.

These are the photos of our site at W. Chickenbone. Note the lack of trees where the ground is remotely clear.
    p8030282.jpg

P8030283.jpg

Daisy farm was filled with youth groups and tourist types.

I liked the Mining Ridge better than the Greenstone. It was more challenging, but the views weren't quite as good, IMO. That could have been because I had been on the island for a week before hiking it though.
    Last edited by packeagle; 10-29-2013 at 21:51.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Leeches were a bit thick in the lake too.
    Wow, there's something I haven't had to deal with in a long time.

I guess one of my biggest worrys about sticking to the campgrounds is getting a site like that one.. I'm bringing a hammock only, and I don't think I'd sleep a wink if I had to go to ground.

I think the greenstone ridge will be fine. My wife doesn't have the experience I do, and honestly, I'm grateful the greenstone ridge is as easy as it is. I'm used to dealing with more elevation change in 5 miles then what's in the entire 65 mile itinerary listed above.

Oh, and to answer any further PM's the software I used to generate those maps was The national Geographic national parks explorer software. They make it for each individual park, or you can get the boxed set that includes them all. They also have versions for the Adirondack park and the southern Appalachian Mountains (there may be more, idk.. those are the 3 I own)
    They use the same maps as the printed Nat Geo maps, but allow you to trace routes, add notes, search features or locations, view elevation profiles do 3d flyovers, and print the maps in a variety of scales. Well worth the $

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Reading this thread has me drooling for my planned return (8/14). Going to try Windigo end this time. Ref hang spots: I was relegated to group sites and it was hit and miss with having suitable spots to hang (50% success rate), but I think the individual sites give you more options...we did hijack a individual site at W. Chickenbone because at that point we were down to sub-group size via a deserter (my wife who went rogue).

My 2013 itinerary: 3 mile>Moskey>W. Chickenbone> Daisy>Rock Harbor via Greenstone Ridge. My least favorite site was Chickenbone as I didn't like the water flavor...we actually hiked on to Mccargo for water and would have camped there if we hadn't been strictly regulated require to follow our group itinerary. IMO, it's worth the extra miles off the Greenstone to camp there vs. Chickenbone.

My only thoughts on the fishing: I remember you're required to change out fishing line if fishing from Superior and then interior lakes...there is a parasite they're trying to keep out of the interior lakes...strangely enough they didn't mention anything about possible transference from water filters.

Enjoy your hike, I know I did and will again. :-)

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    My only thoughts on the fishing: I remember you're required to change out fishing line if fishing from Superior and then interior lakes...there is a parasite they're trying to keep out of the interior lakes...strangely enough they didn't mention anything about possible transference from water filters.
    I'm going to end up bringing 2 fishing rigs anyway, I'll probably end up fly fishing on interior waters, and using my telescoping fishing setup on Superior. All in all, i understand the want to stop the water flea, but realistically the moose are going to transfer it before people will.

As a whole, my trip has been forced to change a little.. I picked up a stray in the planning phase who is now coming with my wife and I, so we'll be 3 hangers. I've also had to drop down to 5 days

So honestly, I have no idea what is going to happen once I'm on the island.. I know I need to have something resembling an itinerary, but I also know I don't have to adhere to it like gospel.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You could look at the Feldtman Loop . However, both of it is are serviced out of Windigo. You could try to catch the boat (Voyagure?) out of Windigo as it makes it way back from Rock Harbor, but their schedules dont match up well. From the Feldtman, can can hook up with the Greenstone and head back to Rock Harbor for your return trip.

Stone's Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast