Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Bring bug juice. You will need it. I encountered some of the most intense population of mosquitos on that island. It was either May or June. I can't remember, but it was bad!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brndncrbtt View Post
    I gave a call to NPS who in turn gave me contact information to Isle Royale directly and I have left a message and waiting on the reply. I don't see anything about this permit on the updated NPS website. I would like to know my chances of obtaining a permit directly from them and the best way to make certain I maximize my chance of getting one. I am a very experienced outdoors-man (everything from boy scouts to advanced military training) so I doubt that will be an issue for them but this is my first visit to the Isle so I wonder if that will play a factor. Ill poke and prod them next week until I hear from them and Ill post my findings just in case anyone else is interested.
    I got all my info in my post above directly from them. He emailed me the rules, zone map and the additional comments about obtaining a permit.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    Ember
    Suspension
    Slap straps
    There is a pretty active forum for IR at http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/view...6fc61aa776cb96 that might be useful for specific questions. I did not see any rentals of anything when I was there years ago (was not really looking).

The problem with IR is that you have to camp at sites unless you get a dispersed camping permit. They are rather strict with those, not so much as handing them out but that you are using them as intended. The sites can be very limited as far as trees to hang from (bring extensions) and so getting a dispersed camping permit might be a better bet esp. since hangers don't really need flat or even dry ground to camp on.

Fires are another matter in that there only only fire rings at a few camp sites while others might have a group fire ring. You can take twig burners (always double check that as it seems there is no set policy on those).

Always be prepared to either not get there or end up staying on the island longer due to weather. If it gets choppy they will cancel the ferries. Always take some extra food with you (they have stores on the island but might get wiped out if the weather is bad). Also be prepared for cold/wet if you go in spring or fall.

Hammock
    Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warm bag.
    Suspension
    Woopies
    I received an email from Isle Royale today about the cross country permit. When you get the the island via Rock Harbor or Windigo you get your permit right off the boat. In the permit process you tell them that you will be off site camping. As long as you can build an itinerary with dates and locations for off site camping (on designated areas which is most of the island) they will issue the permit. All you have to do it sign the rules and regulation card for off site camping. Pretty easy and streamlined. Its not a meter of will they issue, as long as you have the itinerary and sign the rules card you will be issued the permit. Good to know.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brndncrbtt View Post
    I received an email from Isle Royale today about the cross country permit. When you get the the island via Rock Harbor or Windigo you get your permit right off the boat. In the permit process you tell them that you will be off site camping. As long as you can build an itinerary with dates and locations for off site camping (on designated areas which is most of the island) they will issue the permit. All you have to do it sign the rules and regulation card for off site camping. Pretty easy and streamlined. Its not a meter of will they issue, as long as you have the itinerary and sign the rules card you will be issued the permit. Good to know.
    Typical government for ya - two different answers depending on who you ask I like this one though, so I'll go with this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678