OES Standard Tarp

Is this tarp big enough to be protected from the rain? Am I better off going larger tarp and carrying a little more weight? The sizing is 125"×84" for reference. Thank you.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the Deluxe and it's a great tarp. I think more is better. While a smaller tarp weighs less a larger one makes it easier to chill outside during a storm.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I have the std and it depends on your hammock. If it just fits - the ridgeline just covers the hammock ends - then you'll have to pull it down to be right on the hammock, much like I did with my HH since it has tarp clips/prussiks on the suspension.

If not pulled down tight, its still very capable of keeping you dry in all but blowing rain, like in a thunderstorm. For me, I like a good 6" or so for coverage on the ends of the hammock and I have a long hammock now, so its just too short for use now. Keeping it to have for my boy to use one day.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 10-03-2013 at 13:31.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

What hammock are you using with it?

A hammock with a RL length (including the hammock ends (how it is whipped- gathered like WBBB, hennessy, or channeled end)) of less than the tarps RL length you should be fine, my rule is 6" on either side. So the OES Standard's RL is 125 so my hammocks RL with hammock ends included should be no longer than 113.

Others may differ, this is JMO.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    fair warning, many people who have ordered from him have never received response or their order. You might want to consider looking from a different cottage vendor...

Images
    I just completed a more than satisfactory order from Brian as have several others. Clear communication is the key. He is extremely easy to work with and very accommodating. I love my new ultra.

I have also purchased from WL and Warbonnet.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yes, clear communication is the key, and its been historically lacking from his end. We all hope that's changed in light of your successful order, but its been going on too long to give him a break at this point.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    It's not a wide tarp so it's hard to get a low pitch for high winds conditions, you may have some splash up. But this isn't as bad as it might seem, most DWR underquilt shells resist this sort of thing quite well keeping your insulation adequately protected. The ends of your hammock are not as vulnerable being higher off the ground and will most likely stay quite dry.

After having a larger tarp with doors for several seasons, my MacCat standard does make me feel a bit vulnerable but it's really pretty decent coverage.

I think using a smaller tarp forces you pay more attention to site selection and wind direction so you learn some valuable skills. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a smaller hex tarp early on as there would be little doubt that it wouldn't be the last/only tarp I would own.

David

• + New Posts