Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix UQ

Phoenix UQ

Does anyone have a video or diagram showing how to attach/position their current UQ suspension system onto the hammock? This is my first UQ and while I can come up with some ideas, I want to make sure I'm doing correctly.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    On my WBBB I just hook both lines over knot on each end and position with adjustable lines. On my diy I have to use a small sbiner...no knot.

Easy as can be.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will offer this on the subject.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That's a good general video - but here's the problem, Hammock Gear has changed their suspension and the photos and hardware on their website don't match. For example, the website says the UQ's come with an S-biner at each end but now there is just a plastic hook with extra wraps for the secondary suspension line.

And although HG UQ's have and two suspension lined (per end) plus a "gathered end" bungee, in the past, the bungee that runs though the length of the UQ channel was long enough to reach the ends of the hammock. Now that "channel" bungee is shorter than the secondary suspension. A previous post in this forum from an new owner indicated that he also wasn't sure what to do with this shorter bungee (which before was as long or longer that the secondary line.

I've called HG and though they are willing to discuss how the suspension is designed to work, it has been difficult making contact (3 hr time zone difference).

It would be great if someone could create a video or post a narrative about how you would use all three lines. The one that gathers the ends around the hammock is pretty clear, but the co-operation between the one in the channel along the length of the hammock and the second one at the end is a little puzzling. And now the one in the channel along the length is much sorter than in the past, so that adds to the mystery.

Anyway, I think that is what the questions are about.

And though there are many fine videos showing how to hand an UQ, they seem to focus on the simple suspension designs that have one suspension line that reaches the "knob" at the end of the hammock and the simple one that cinches the gathered ends tight.

I think we are looking for something that sheds light specifically on HG's two line suspension and especially what changes the new shorter channel bungee implies.

Any ideas?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    That's a good general video - but here's the problem, Hammock Gear has changed their suspension and the photos and hardware on their website don't match. For example, the website says the UQ's come with an S-biner at each end but now there is just a plastic hook with extra wraps for the secondary suspension line.

And although HG UQ's have and two suspension lined (per end) plus a "gathered end" bungee, in the past, the bungee that runs though the length of the UQ channel was long enough to reach the ends of the hammock. Now that "channel" bungee is shorter than the secondary suspension. A previous post in this forum from an new owner indicated that he also wasn't sure what to do with this shorter bungee (which before was as long or longer that the secondary line.

I've called HG and though they are willing to discuss how the suspension is designed to work, it has been difficult making contact (3 hr time zone difference).

It would be great if someone could create a video or post a narrative about how you would use all three lines. The one that gathers the ends around the hammock is pretty clear, but the co-operation between the one in the channel along the length of the hammock and the second one at the end is a little puzzling. And now the one in the channel along the length is much sorter than in the past, so that adds to the mystery.

Anyway, I think that is what the questions are about.

And though there are many fine videos showing how to hand an UQ, they seem to focus on the simple suspension designs that have one suspension line that reaches the "knob" at the end of the hammock and the simple one that cinches the gathered ends tight.

I think we are looking for something that sheds light specifically on HG's two line suspension and especially what changes the new shorter channel bungee implies.

Any ideas?
    Have you read this thread...from Stormcrow himself....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=52668
    Explains it well enough for me to understand it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Thanks! I was looking for this too.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That post explains a lot and I'll assume the plastic hooks have replaced the S-biners.

So there is only this - the primary suspension line is now seems much shorter than what I see in website photos. It's as if the primary and secondary suspension lines have switched lengths. BUT - that might only seem a problem because I'm afraid of over stretching the primary bungee. It is thicker/stronger than the secondary line. It would certainly cause the UQ to aggressively hug the hammock. And given the stretch, there is no way I could harm the UQ if it was too tight. If the bungee is stressed too much it can easily be replaced.

Our night time temps are how in the high 20's so I can try the super warm zero degree incubator tonight.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Photo of new rigging

Here are some photos that might shed some light on the issue. They show both ends of a zero degree incubator. I bought this used but it was sold As New - never been used. So I figure it is just as it came from HG.

1. Notice the plastic hooks instead of S-Biners. No problem with that - just different from the website descriptions

2. But look at the length of the primary suspension - the thick line that goes through the channels the length of the UQ. They are so short the gathered ends almost form a circle. Note how long the secondary suspension is in comparison.

I have an older UQ from HG and the primary and secondary lines are about the same length - no where near the difference you see here.

Now I would have just figured that maybe the original owner shortened those primary suspension lines and just forgot to tell me. But another post in this HG sub-forum from another new owner mentioned the same thing; the ultra short primary suspension lines.

Please understand this is not complaining and the quality of the UQ is top drawer. I am just trying to understand the mystery of that short primary suspension line and from the other posts I've read, so are a few others.

The only reason I'm posting here instead of calling HG is it can be hard to reach a person instead of voice mail and if an answer is posted here than others will have what might be the same question answered.

I apologize for kind of hijacking this post but the initial question seemed to point to the same issue of HG suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Here are some photos that might shed some light on the issue. They show both ends of a zero degree incubator. I bought this used but it was sold As New - never been used. So I figure it is just as it came from HG.

1. Notice the plastic hooks instead of S-Biners. No problem with that - just different from the website descriptions

2. But look at the length of the primary suspension - the thick line that goes through the channels the length of the UQ. They are so short the gathered ends almost form a circle. Note how long the secondary suspension is in comparison.

I have an older UQ from HG and the primary and secondary lines are about the same length - no where near the difference you see here.

Now I would have just figured that maybe the original owner shortened those primary suspension lines and just forgot to tell me. But another post in this HG sub-forum from another new owner mentioned the same thing; the ultra short primary suspension lines.

Please understand this is not complaining and the quality of the UQ is top drawer. I am just trying to understand the mystery of that short primary suspension line and from the other posts I've read, so are a few others.

The only reason I'm posting here instead of calling HG is it can be hard to reach a person instead of voice mail and if an answer is posted here than others will have what might be the same question answered.

I apologize for kind of hijacking this post but the initial question seemed to point to the same issue of HG suspension.
    HG used to ship their quilts with far more shock cord than was needed. On my original Phoenix, I shortened the primary suspension (at that time the only suspension) by nearly 2 feet to get it to the length I needed for the quilt to hang snugly under my hammock.

I just got a brand new quilt from them, and you are correct, it looks as if they are shipping with a shorter primary shock cord length. Out of the gate I didn't feel the need to shorten it at all. I may adjust that thought as I use it in the field, but for now it seems to be the proper length with no messing with it.

On the other hand, the secondary lines are a bit longer. This is a good thing, as those are what you use to fine tune the hang of it, and so having more is not a bad thing.

I've been meaning to do a quick video explaining the new suspension (or at least how I see it). I'll try to get to that soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast