Hammock
    ENO Single

Gossamer Thinlight: Which Thickness?

1/4" is 41x61"
    1/8" is 19x59"
    3/8" is 19x59"

I live in Northern AZ and camp primarily early to late summer. Temps will be 90 to 100 deg during the day and easily down to 40 or 45 at night. Hammocking in the ENO single.

Question #1: Which pad thickness should I purchase?

Spoke with someone at Gossamer and he suggested the 1/4" for hammocking so that I could cut it down to custom size.

Question #2: Is there a suggested cut/measurements?? Or is this based on personal pref and good luck guess??

#3: Does this product curl up on you or does it stay put? Good ease of use??

Newb to all this ... Thx in advance - This is a $30 purchase, so it's very important that I get it right . Zul

PS - This product is on backorder, 2 - 4 weeks as of 4/6/9.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    1/4 ccf works for the average guy down to about 50°
    some tell of it going to freezing. this is not the case for most I have spoken to, and for me personally. I would get a 3/8 pad for temps down to 45°
    use the search tool to find threads on "volara" and other sources of ccf, as 19" is not nearly wide enough. In a ENO single you'll want at least 25". Evazote is good stuff, but too narrow imo - you can also find good foam pads @ Speer Hammocks which are still only 1/4" thick but can be used to suppliment other pads, such as a thermarest if you decide to use one.

see the Arizona Hang thread for a hang near you, where you will find at least 8 of us all having different set-ups and approaches to hanging and staying warm. Think of it as a group tuturial of sorts. Being that you live in Sedona, this should make the top of your list
    Last edited by te-wa; 04-06-2009 at 15:21.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    zul, I second mikeinfhaz's suggestion to come to the hang next weekend. Between myself and Genuine Draft (my girl ), you'll be able to see both the 1/8" and the 1/4" pads. The 1/4" pads are very wide and nice for cutting to fit. The 1/8" pads are pretty narrow, but work for me as supplemental pads.

Welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Single

Zoinks!!!

West Fork? You happen to have selected my all time favorite, all time getaway of all times. I thought that I was the only person who knew of it

Day hiked it last week yielding cold wind; and yes, still patches of snow and ice. 40% chance of rain on Sat the 11th.

There is a second water crossing that I will mention on the official thread.

Trouble is, I have only thermarest inflating pads (3/4 and full), and still no fly. I would love to join in but not sure if my gear is worthy of rain or possible snow. Regardless, be ready for some coolness

zul

Hammock
    ENO Single

Thermarest Ridge Rest

The Large Ridge Rest is 25x77. Is this a good product @ $34?
    I could cut this down ... What is the suggested length for the pad??

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    West Fork? You happen to have selected my all time favorite, all time getaway of all times. I thought that I was the only person who knew of it

Day hiked it last week yielding cold wind; and yes, still patches of snow and ice. 40% chance of rain on Sat the 11th.

There is a second water crossing that I will mention on the official thread.

Trouble is, I have only thermarest inflating pads (3/4 and full), and still no fly. I would love to join in but not sure if my gear is worthy of rain or possible snow. Regardless, be ready for some coolness

zul
    If your problem is gear, you have no problem. I have an extra tarp (maybe a few). Your pad will probably work just fine, if not I might just have an extra underquilt too.
    No more excuses, come hang with us!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    No more excuses, come hang with us!
    yeah! what he said..

between all of us, theres about $5,395 worth of down. Get er done!

The pad is only one component of the sleep system. Other factors (bag, clothing, the individual, weather conditions other than temps, etc.) play a role too and one shouldn't evaluate the parts of the system separately. Given that, my 3/8" ccf from Oware keeps the cold away from me into the mid-20s.

One factor that is hard to measure but which I believe plays a role in staying warm is acclimation. What is the camper use too? Somebody from my home area, where the warmest nights are in the 40s may find your home range refreshing whereas your local buds may be freezing their sensitive parts.

If the three choices are near the same cost than that leaves comparisons of weight and packability (bulk) to make your choice. If those differences are minimal (to you), go with the warmest/thickest. IMO.

FB

Gossamer gear pad

I'm from Hawaii, went to Yosemite at 6000 foot elevation, slept in my Hennesey Hammock with a 1/4" pad and a Western Mountain Highlite sleeping bag....nothing else. It was 32 degrees. I was very comfortable except for my feet. They were like ice cubes. I'm 5' 7" and 120 pounds, cold cold sleeper. At home I've evolved to a Thermarest prolite and an army poncho liner, warm enough for what I do, plus I'm small enough that 20 inches is plenty wide. The only problem I found with the Gossamer Gear pad was the tendency to wrinkle up, hard to keep in place. Otherwise, great insulation.

the 3/8 gossamer gear pad is in our kit for the summer

TM

• + New Posts