Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

Son's First Backpacking Trip!

I went on a short backpacking trip w/ my son Davis this weekend. Davis is 10 and we went w/ a few other father/son pairs. We only did a couple miles each day to see how the boys held up and they did great. It was also Davis's first night camping in a hammock and I think he really enjoyed the experience. He slept in a HH Scout and I set his up next to my Blackbird under my SWT. The set-up was easy and there was plenty of room for both hammocks under the Speer Winter Tarp.

It was also the first time I've taken my dog Annie and she did great too. She hung out at camp the whole time and did not wander off at all. She slept under my hammock on a blanket and didn't stir until 7:30 am.

We hiked in just to the south of Big Ben falls on the Chattooga River and the weather and conditions were fantastic. Highs both days were mid 70's w/ lows that night in the mid 40's. Davis & I both used CCF & Speer SPE's for our insulation and that worked really well.

Images
    Lucky you and lucky Davis! Nothing much better for a boy than to go with his Dad. And nothing much better for a Dad than to go with his boy AND his dog.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like it was a great weekend Dave. You camped in one of my favorite parts of the world, along the Chatooga. I hope to do a long weekend out there in May.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's awesome. I've done that with my kids, too. There's nothing like it, is there? Backpacking with your child is just some of the best time I think you can spend. Your first photo reminds me of my avatar.

Not to hijack, just thought you'd like to see someone else's experience, too. Check this thread, which I posted (ironically) today: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8091
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts