Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Is this OK with BMBH?

Pan or any one with an opinion:

First:I've been doing this on and off since last summer, 1st pic that is, not asking about the second pic, where I am just comfy on my side, almost on my stomach when I roll just a bit.

But I scoot all the way to the end and just sit up, leaning back into the end caps. Usually with just a slight twist so that my weight is a little on the hammock side and a little on the end caps, and my upper back or neck barely in contact with the spreader bars.

It is by far the most comfortable chair position I have found in a hammock, and is superb for reading. But is it safe for the hammock? Most of my weight is on one spot, and I had worried about the spreader bars, though I have recently realized I have very little weight actually on the bars.

2nd: The Vario hammock stand has been interesting. It works perfectly with my Claytor No Net and I presume also with my Speer. But with hammocks with RLs like the BB, HH or those that should be set to a certain length ( 9 ft 6")like the BMBH, there is a problem. The uprights flex, each one coming toward the center by 6" or more. This makes no difference with the Claytor, just gives it a bit more sag and more comfort.

But with my RL hammocks, I end up with a significantly drooping RL and netting in my face. With the BMBH, it is just not as comfortable as it should be, feeling as though I have hung it WAY less than the recommended distance. But if I tighten the BMBH up a good bit more than recommended, then it feels about right once I get in and the bars flex. I can probably also tighten enough with the RL hammocks also to get them to work properly. But I worry if this overtightening at the start could over stress the hammock suspension or the Vario stand, even though AFTER I get in tension and angles seem about right.

EDIT:
    3rd: Is there any reason not to run the webbing around the tree, back to and thru the BMBH outer ring, and then tie off with a slippery half hitch and another half hitch? The way you do with Claytors per their directions, except instead of running the webbing through the bowline loop, run it through the ring?

So what do y'all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-06-2009 at 16:04.

• + New Posts