Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops

Thread Injector - Which one next??

OK, got the bug and need something to do this weekend, so looking to pick up another machine to clean up and tinker with. I may find something else in my thrift store/antique store quest, but as a fall back craigslist in my areas has a Singer 237 and Singer stylist 457 available. If you assume the price is right on both and the accessories the same, which machine would you opt for?
    I'm thinking the 237, but I don't know much about either. Just needing to get my hands dirty a little bit while I watch football.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk single
    Tarp
    Hay cover
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a beloved Singer 237 - a good reliable solid beast. It does seem happier with heavier stuff than with light weight materials. Chomps away at home dec fabrics and boat canvas. Haven't tried it with sil but it would probably be fine once the foot pressure and feed dogs were adjusted. Some people have put a 237 on a treadle base if you ever decide to go with people power.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Easy question. Between the two, get the 237. The gears and mechanism are all metal. The 457 has nylon gears which at ~40 years of age are prone to breaking and a timing belt instead of a steel shaft and gears.

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    I just happened to run across this thread and would like to make a few comments. Earlier this year I purchased a metal sewing machine on ebay, (as is) except (I learned later) is had one plastic gear in it (it was broken) $ 35.00, was not worth repair, so trashed it. Purchased a serviced used Dressmaker (Jean Machine) with long arm from a sewing machine store. It's a fine machine, however it does not sew slippery fabric like nylons and silks or heavy materials. Also, purchased a used Singer 401A, all metal machine in sewing cabinet from a second hand store, negotiated $ 30.00. Then turned around and bought a Thompson 300 series walking foot on ebay $ 300.00, good machine, will sew 7-9 folds of denim material easily, but have to use #69 thread size or larger to sew. Before using took to sewing machine store for inspection and servicing (his charges are very reasonable). You probably think I'm either a buyer/trader or seller, but I'm not, just a little obsessive compulsive, that's all. When to pick up the Thompson and he had a Riccar Commercial machine w/ the large table in good condition. It seems a lady with a alteration shop lost her lease and moved her stuff back home and had to give up one machine. He sold it to me for what she wanted for the machine, $ 400.00. Now I've played with this nice machine, it give a very straight stitch and is fast, but I don't need it, really don't have room for it at home, so he's going to sell it for me. Now your probably thinking I'm a fanatic about sewing machines and maybe so. You know when I took the Riccar back and we unloaded it and put on the floor where other used machines for sale were located and his son was writing up the paper work, he mentioned that he had a very nice Singer 221 in original case w/ several attachments, original operators manual, button hole manual, have old singer needles in original singer paper wrappers. That thing was so beautiful, black w/gold figurative trim, and no scratches, came from an estate sale in Texas. Belonged to a man's grandmother (given to her by husband brand new). What could I say? He said would you like to see it? Well you know the rest of the story. Yes, I did, $ 300.00. Iv'e got to get out of the sewing machine business.

To wrap-up, the Singer 401A does well on clothing type fabric and some thicker fabric, but will not feed slick or thin light material successfully. The Jean Machine w/ long arm of course does well on sleeve type applications and normal fabrics sewing, but this little Singer 221 is fantastic. It feeds and sews the slick and the shiny stuff to perfection, straight stitches and reversible with no jams of any sort. It's not fast, but very precise. I'm going to be careful with it, because it's a wonderful machine and has so collector value. I'll use it on any rain fly, hammock, stuff sacks and other like application I get involved in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought the 237 would be a little better built. Maybe I'll run across something totally different and unexpected today.

My sister is sitting on my Mom's old white featherweight and hasn't used it since she got it 12 years ago. My wife tells me that I ought to offer to buy it off of her, but I know she took it for the memories. So, I want her to keep it. Maybe I'll run across one I can afford one of these days.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillC523 View Post
    ...To wrap-up, the Singer 401A does well on clothing type fabric and some thicker fabric, but will not feed slick or thin light material successfully....
    That's a bit odd. I have no problems sewing lightweight nylon fabrics with either of my 401A's and have read of several others on HF using them as well. I suspect you need to insure that the feed dogs are not worn and that the presser foot is smooth/unworn and/or refine your adjustments/thread/needle combination.

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought the 237 would be a little better built. Maybe I'll run across something totally different and unexpected today.

My sister is sitting on my Mom's old white featherweight and hasn't used it since she got it 12 years ago. My wife tells me that I ought to offer to buy it off of her, but I know she took it for the memories. So, I want her to keep it. Maybe I'll run across one I can afford one of these days.

How's the 301 you found in Camden

JEFF

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Jeff,
    I spent 30 minutes to oil and lube it. Wiped it all down and even waxed it. It runs like it's a new one. Has a really great straight stitch. Plan to use it this winter on a couple of projects.

It's my best find to date, but it's almost like something was missing, since I really didn't have to do anything to get it running great. That probably sounds strange to most.

Looking at a couple of 237s. One the guy says that his runs, but very slowly and the other that the gal says supposedly runs well but looks really dirty. At least I'd get to spend a day or so bringing them back to life a little.
    They both want $40 and I only want to pay $30, so I'm going to let them set on CL another week and we'll see who budges first. Might be me, if I get bored enough.

Bill

• + New Posts