Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tarp suspension rubbing against hammock suspension

I have a HG CF 4season tarp. When I need to put my tarp in "storm mode" the two suspension lines rub one another!
    I've tried the "Y" method for my tarp but this doesn't work. Due to the relatively short sides of the tarp, the tarp suspension has to be hung much lower than the hammock suspension to get the coverage I need. This arrangement causes it to rub even more!
    Also due to the tarp's size, my hammock has to be hung very close to the ground. So close that my butt almost touches the ground!
    Am I doing something wrong? How do I resolve these issues?
    Last edited by nu2hike; 10-06-2013 at 10:51. Reason: Added content

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Let 'em rub....Amsteel whoopies or similar rubbing against zing-it or some other very durable line is no problem. You'd have to hang in a windstorm for a month to make any difference to the line. I figure it this way...I'm running the tarp line around the bark of oaks and palms and it comes out looking OK. I don't think rubbing against another piece of similar cord is going to hurt it any.

If it really bugs you what I normally do is offset the tarp and hammock suspensions a bit. Instead of the strap pulling from the center, right above the tarp line, you just rotate the strap maybe 90 degrees so the point is on the side of the tree. I offset each end in the opposite direction so the tarp ends up centered between the trees but the hammock is slightly on the diagonal. Hopefully this makes sense....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree with everything Zukiguy said.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

I agree with zukiguy. Some rubbing between lines really can't hurt anything. But if it is rubbing line to tarp off setting your hangs to each tree would sure help. One other thing you could try is to slightly flatten your hang. Instead of shooting for the 30* angle you can go a bit flatter. The hang might not be as comfortable but your can snug that tarp down closer to your hammock without putting your butt in the mud.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Hang from trees further apart and use the V method of having the tarp guyline go around the tree and back to the edge of the tarp. That should stop it from rubbing.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Also due to the tarp's size, my hammock has to be hung very close to the ground. So close that my butt almost touches the ground!
    Am I doing something wrong? How do I resolve these issues?
    I agree with Zuki on the chafing issue. Don't worry about it.

If you want to hang your hammock higher, and lie in it on a diagonal, and have your tarp down to the ground ('winter mode'), and not have your hammock contacting the tarp (and getting wet) you need a bigger tarp (or a large asymetric tarp) !

Enthusiasm for keeping things lightweight can't really overpower geometry!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    UHMW polyethylene, the stuff Amsteel and ZingIt are made from, has a friction coefficient similar to Teflon, according to Wikipedia. So, that's the reason it won't hold knots, and the odds of it hurting itself is pretty low, just inspect your lines to be sure.

I'm glad to hear that the rubbing won't cause enough abrasion to creat a problem.
    I will try both off setting the straps and the going for less hang angle.
    As for as a bigger tarp, I have my eye on HG CF winter palace. Just don't have the budget for it at this time!
    Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth, Byer Double
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Web, single line
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    UHMW polyethylene, the stuff Amsteel and ZingIt are made from, has a friction coefficient similar to Teflon, according to Wikipedia. So, that's the reason it won't hold knots, and the odds of it hurting itself is pretty low, just inspect your lines to be sure.
    Mouseskowitz is correct, their friction coefficient is very good. UHMWPE is durable as all get out. At the splicing shop i splice for, we actually have special scisors designed to cut high molecular weight materials (dyneema, spectra, vectran, technora, etc). These materials are designed to be extremely durable and resistant to abrasion and chaffing. We use these materials all the time in professional tree work because of how tough they are. So you should not worry about any ill effects of them rubbing together. In time, any material will wear, and the same is true for these items, but i dont think it will come into play any time soon.

As an example, after more than five years of professional tree climbing, i am STILL using my very first purchased zing it throwline to access the trees. This stuff is tuff as nails.
    Live every day as if it was your last.
    Laugh much, love often.
    Happy hanging!!!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

I've noticed all of these issues with the HG cuben tarp as well. It is difficult to get it pitched close to the hammock (storm mode). The bigger issue than tarp lines and Whoopies rubbing is the actual tarp rubbing on the suspension. It's even worse with a 12 foot ridge tarp. In porch mode I tend to do the offset setup as mentioned. For storm mode I just go as low as I can without hitting the Whoopies. If there is wind/rain I breakout my 2Q/ZQ under cover on the hammock. I was in one nasty rainstorm in August and because I couldn't pitch the tarp low enough I had lots of water splatter and mud on the bottom of my hammock and under quilt. After that I opted to always bring my under cover just in case.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast