Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Miles, Heat, Rain, and THE Coolest Wife in the World

Just got back this afternoon from my semi-annual trip up to Arkansas to visit the Eagle Rock Loop. This wasn't the best weekend as far a a weather forecast looked, but I had to wedge the 3 day weekend in between a bunch of other mandatory travel, so...

And... I had a hiking parther! This was Pamela's first real backpacking experience and she made the loop look easy...

Fairly short and somewhat sweet...

Arrived at the Little Mo Falls trailhead around 10am Friday. It was pretty warm and really humid, but the trailhead was completely deserted. Started hiking around 10:20 or so... Little Mo was really low, with no wet crossings until just before Winding Stair. We ran into a two or three small groups traveling the opposite direction. Arrived at Winding Stair before 4pm after hiking 11.98 miles by the GPS odometer along trail that was the most overgrown I've ever seen it. Set up camp then played in the Little Mo for a while before dinner. Had a trio of guys walk thru as it was getting dark (around 7:30pm?) and they were our shadow for the rest of the trip. We got in the hammocks around 8:30pm. Warm night... never used any sort of over cover - just my 40* HG Crowsnest underneath.

It started raining around 7am Saturday morning, about the time we were getting up. It rained through breakfast and through camp tear down, and then of course, stopped as we were hiking away around 8:00am. Our shadows got out of camp ahead of us, but we passed them on the Viles Branch just before turning right onto the Athens-Big Fork trail. We ran into a weather pattern along the six big ups and downs of the A-BF trail. Sunny and HOT on the climbs, and breezy and cool on the downs. EVERY CLIMB and every descent. Never seen anything like it. We took three breaks along the A-BF - at the Eagle Rock Vista, lunch at Blaylock Creek, and a water break at Long Creek. We walked down off of the A-BF trail at 3:30pm to a group of ATV riders riding their 4 wheelers on a HIKER ONLY trail... really??? They were looking for the Little Mo Falls and were only FOUR AND A HALF MILES off course. We politely told them how to get there ON THE ROAD, then made our way to a campsite along the Little Mo trail. We finished up the day walking almost 14 miles according to the GPS. It had cooled nicely, we heard thunder off in the distance, and went about our business - camp set up, fire wood gathering, and the like. By 6:30pm, we had cooked dinner, had a nice small fire going, and were just enjoying the remaining light. Heard our shadows setting up camp just up the trail from us. Just before 8pm, I felt ONE raindrop hit the top of my head. Five seconds later it was pouring buckets. No warning... no thunder... too dark to tell it had gotten cloudy.

At this point we say thank you to Brandon @ Warbonnet and Brian @ OES for spectacular Spinn tarps. Not a drop on the hammocks in about 4 hours of hard rain.

So... we got in the hammocks about an hour earlier than planned and listened to the rain for a while. We were camped really close to the river, and I was a little worried about flooding, but it all worked out.

Got up at 7am Sunday morning to a wet campsite, but dry hammocks and gear. Had breakfast and broke camp and hiked out around 8:30am. Had a short 3.5 miles to complete the loop and get to the car. We finished up before 10am, and found our shadows ahead of us at the trailhead with a fire going and one of the guys holding his socks over the flames????? Turns out that they were hammocking as well, but two of them had catastrophic tarp failure during the rain. They ended up packing up in the rain, hiking the forest road down to the Little Mo Falls trailhead, and bivouacking at the trailhead (nuff said there). They had a long, wet, cold night and I'm glad they were all safe this morning.

Oh... anyone know what these critter are? They were on various small tree branches at our camp Saturday...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific trip briefing.
    Those creatures are wooly aphids. I have encountered them myself on the trail.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Nice trip report!
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Nice report, sounds like you had a nice dry time
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    eno double nest
    Tarp
    JRB spinnaker
    Insulation
    JRB tq /uq
    Suspension
    ucr or ws
    Exellent report

I ran into the very same type of weather last October . The storm hit in about the same place as for you guys. ERL is also my favorite loop. Glad yall had a good time.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Fairly short and somewhat sweet...

Well then! I don't think she looks short at all. And she's got to be sweet to go camping with you.

Seriously though, looks like a great trip -- thanks for taking us along!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Miles, Heat, Rain, and THE Coolest Wife in the World

Thanks for the write up. Looked like a great getaway!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Love the trip report - thanks.

Don't like the aphids, I'm not much of a bug person myself. A few at at time are fine, but the swarms creep me out.

Last trip out, I had to take a short walk during the night, on the way back to the hammock, my headlight fell on one of my trees, shudder, the tree was covered in thousands of tiny dark little worm like things, uugh. Found out later they were fall canker (inch) worms working their way up the tree to mate. It still gives me the willies, most disturbing thing I have seen yet in the woods.

How did you get the Garmin screen capture - that is pretty cool?
    Thanks again,

Jason

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    How did you get the Garmin screen capture - that is pretty cool?
    Yeah, I recognized it too and wondered the same thing . . . Garmin iPhone app?!?

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Nice trip report. Glad you had a safe trip and that Pam was able to go and show you how to do it
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast