Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question Gearing up for first hang...

Well, I think I'm gonna do my first hang this weekend at a State Park. I have some gear now and need to start using it. My question is what to bring for a bag. The weekend forecast is calling for lows of around 33 degrees. Right now all I have are a +10 degree Nebo Sports bag that is very bulky and weighs 3lbs. I have a compression sack for it but still, that thing will chew up a lot of space in my pack. I also have a light weight +30 Slumberjack bag and a Thermolite Reactor mummy liner. I've used the Slumberjack/Thermolite combo in a tent on a Thermarest Trail pad down to 40 degrees and was fine. Will that combo be adequate down to 33 degrees in conjunction with my Yeti 3 season under quilt? If not, would it if I added a cheap Wally World Pad to the mix? As you can see I don't really want to pack the bulky Nebo bag if I don't have to but if it's the best option I'll deal with it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Are you car camping or backpacking? If you are car camping... take it all. You can play around without any weight penalty.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Are you car camping or backpacking? If you are car camping... take it all. You can play around without any weight penalty.
    Was planning to backpack. I could car camp however I'm not sure if the parks are ok with using hammocks and I'm not sure what the tree situation would be like at a car campsite. From my experience at most drive in campsites I've been to the lots are usually pretty open with the ideal trees for setting up a hammock getting kind of off the main lot which could be a problem with park rangers patrolling.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Gotcha... In PA State _Parks_ are off limits to camping at anything but established campgrounds. State _Forests_ are open so that's why the question went through my mind.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    The first few nights I've spent out in the woods so far has all been car camping.

Other than the congaree hang a couple of weeks ago, I've called ahead to make sure there were no regulations against hammock camping. Each time I've been told it was ok so long as I used the straps and not just rope that could damage the tree.

One older gentleman spent 30 minutes talking about how he used to hammock camp in an old jungle hammock. I pointed him toward this site. Not sure if he ever checked it out though.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Well, I think I'm gonna do my first hang this weekend at a State Park. I have some gear now and need to start using it. My question is what to bring for a bag. The weekend forecast is calling for lows of around 33 degrees. Right now all I have are a +10 degree Nebo Sports bag that is very bulky and weighs 3lbs. I have a compression sack for it but still, that thing will chew up a lot of space in my pack. I also have a light weight +30 Slumberjack bag and a Thermolite Reactor mummy liner. I've used the Slumberjack/Thermolite combo in a tent on a Thermarest Trail pad down to 40 degrees and was fine. Will that combo be adequate down to 33 degrees in conjunction with my Yeti 3 season under quilt? If not, would it if I added a cheap Wally World Pad to the mix? As you can see I don't really want to pack the bulky Nebo bag if I don't have to but if it's the best option I'll deal with it.
    You are from Minnesota - suck it up, and go with your gut. You're used to much worse than this; heck, it should feel warm at 33.

Winter is finally over! Go with the lighter bag, I think you will be fine with a Yeti AND a pad AND your Slumberjack/Thermolite combo. You probably wouldn't need the pad, but it is a good security blanket if you think you MIGHT get cold.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    You are from Minnesota - suck it up, and go with your gut. You're used to much worse than this; heck, it should feel warm at 33.

Winter is finally over! Go with the lighter bag, I think you will be fine with a Yeti AND a pad AND your Slumberjack/Thermolite combo. You probably wouldn't need the pad, but it is a good security blanket if you think you MIGHT get cold.
    Yeah, that's where I'm leanin' right now. I'll probably go snag a cheap pad at Walmart to be safe and wing it and see how it goes.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Pizza, I noticed your in shugs neck of the woods. I can only hope your going to the hang there up north and get to meet everbody. Not only meet but check out everyones different set ups. just do it pizza just dooo it.
    see ya,
    TY

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Stock Tarp
    Insulation
    WM Waffle Pad
    If you do go with the wal mart pad, try to pick up the wider waffle pad. It's like 4 dollars more but worked much better. I'm pretty skinny and the non waffle was barely wide enough for me.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    If you do go with the wal mart pad, try to pick up the wider waffle pad. It's like 4 dollars more but worked much better. I'm pretty skinny and the non waffle was barely wide enough for me.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look for the wider one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast