Tarp
    Xenon 1.1 hexagona
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie! home-made
    Images

My DIY bug sock

I started this project 2 months ago, but life got in the way. I became motivated to finish it now that the flying critters are swirling. It started simple enough. This was going to be straightforward I thought, a basic bug sock. I went to Walmart to get some inexpensive tulle, 7 yards that I had calculated I needed, and found the material was very stretchy. When my Walmart customer service representative had measured, she had stretched the fabric and I only received 5.95 yards. I came up 2 inches short on the length I needed. I thought that one trip into a Walmart was enough and I had to find a different path.

I switch gears decided to extend the length of my sock by 10 inches, in the event that I complete next winter's project, a 10' 6" foot long hammock, and maybe could us this sock for that yet uncreated hammock. My current hammock is under 9 feet, (Grand Trunk is misleading, the actual length of their UL hammock is NOT 9' 6" but 8' 10"). I was at my favorite remnant place and found some wonderful synthetic light-weight camo material, I'm not sure what it is, which I thought could be part of a solution. So I added 10" of the material as an extension and then created a channel for the cinch cord. This was better than running the cord through the tulle as it made the process of cinching smoother. I reinforced the foot end with the same material. I also added 4 tie-out loops on the sides since I don't like bug net near my face and feet, and 4 additional loops along the top in the event I want to hang a portion of the sock via an external ridgeline.

Walmart tulle is definitely not the hardiest of material, but the price was right $0.96/0.85 yards, the weight was right as this only weighs a few ounces. I have a scale on order from ebay, I'll weigh it when I get the scale. The net is huge, I can sit up in my hammock and put my shoes on, the width of the sock is 60". I do worry a bit with it being so wide that it might catch on branches under my hammock but I can always reduce the width if this becomes a problem.complete bug net sm.jpg

Hammock
    Hexon, self-crafted
    Tarp
    Xenon 1.1 hexagona
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie! home-made
    Images

It was everything and more

This is a follow-up post to my DIY $9 bug sock. My bug sock is worth its weight in gold. I used this on 3 day backpack and it exceeded my expectations. I regret not taking a picture of all of God's creatures that were on the outside of the net in the morning desperate to get a taste of my delicious and nutritious blood. There were mosquitoes the size of golf balls, giant ugly spiders, various leggy millipedes. They looked sad and hungry.

Since I had placed tie-out loops on the net I was able to keep the net away from my face. This was tulle and not noseeum so I could enjoy the view outside without feeling claustrophobic. I had made the net wide enough so I could bring in all my gear inside the net without worrying about critters getting into it. The only issue was when it came time to pack up, the pine needles in the grove seem to adhere to the tulle, but it only took a few minutes to dislodge them. I probably should have taken a better picture of it, but here it is set up.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    That is a nice setup you have there. Well done.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Very nice! my bugnet is cheap cot net that was rebuilt to fit the hammock. no pull-outs, it is very near my face. My son has the same design as I do, but with sheer curtain material. Nothing gets in, but the buzzing is close letting me know they are there, but they can't get me.

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    I have been using hug style nets but have been considering a tulle sock for complete coverage. This looks and sounds awesome. Did you ever get the final weight?

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I like how you put the channels in the other fabric. i think this will add to the life span of the sock as so much of the stress of the unit is probably centered there.

• + New Posts